Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

One more thing. I've no idea how cinemas are going to survive. There were just 6 people at last nights showing of Tenet. Having to sit there in a mask wasn't enjoyable. 

I can see a future where films are released more and more on streaming services instead of cinema. 

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

On 02/09/2020 at 06:49, Wiltshire Rhino said:

One more thing. I've no idea how cinemas are going to survive. There were just 6 people at last nights showing of Tenet. Having to sit there in a mask wasn't enjoyable. 

I can see a future where films are released more and more on streaming services instead of cinema. 

I haven't been back to the cinema yet, will be making my return for Bond in two months time but I have talked to people who have said they've been and been the only person in. I've heard that a few times from various people. 

On 02/09/2020 at 06:49, Wiltshire Rhino said:

One more thing. I've no idea how cinemas are going to survive.

They're not.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I was seeing my 11yo daughter yesterday, and lined up a film we haven't seen for a while to test my new DVD player, just before pressing 'Play', I did a quick scoot through the channels to see if there was anything better than "Bend it Like Beckham" on, and it was on Channel 4, in 5 minutes. Spooky. So we let it start on C4, and played the DVD so we avoided the adverts.

The football scenes were filmed at Hayes & Yeading Utd FC, not far from where I lived in Hillingdon, the Gasometer in the background of the field has a huge Tattoo marked LHR & an arrow pointing to the runway at Heath Row.

1 minute ago, Bleep1673 said:

Just spotted.....

9pm tonight Sony Classic Movie, Sky Channel 319.

Gene Wilder & Richard Pryor in

Stir Crazy (1980) one one the funniest films ever.

I tried to put a clip of it on here a couple of months ago, but due to the sweary bits, it deleted it before I was banned again.

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Just spotted.....

9pm tonight Sony Classic Movie, Sky Channel 319.

Gene Wilder & Richard Pryor in

Stir Crazy (1980) one one the funniest films ever.

Freeview channel 50, for those on terrestrial.

• Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Gemini Man (starring Will Smith)

I have recently upgraded my TV from an ancient dumb 38 inch to a mid range 50 inch 4K tv.  I’ve added a good sound bar and treated myself to a better Sky package to get the most out of it with a few discounts chucked in.  All of this using the spare cash I would normally have for a trip abroad.

As a result I though I would check out the UHD offering on Sky.  It’s been a bit of a revelation visually and on the audio front compared to my old set up.  There’s a big gunfight at the end that was pretty spectacular in a way it would be at the cinema.

The film itself starts well, but the more Will Smith features in it the worse it seems to get unfortunately (I like his performances normally).  Not a terrible film by any means just not up to the usual high standard I think.

(Sorry for any discreet brag about my upgraded set up but it has made a big difference to viewing!)

6/10

The problem with going to HD, let alone even higher definition formats is that, on a large screen, SD channels look a bit rubbish when you switch to them from a HD channel.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

22 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The problem with going to HD, let alone even higher definition formats is that, on a large screen, SD channels look a bit rubbish when you switch to them from a HD channel.

Yes, that’s definitely a consideration when pricing up a new telly versus what you will be watching on it.

The difference can be like putting on a pair of glasses!

I've started on a mission to watch all the Star Wars films in order. 

I've often thought about doing this before, but never got round to it as it means having to sit through The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones again before getting onto the good stuff, and I didn't really enjoy those two the first time round.

However, I'm three films in now, and found that I enjoyed all the prequels a lot more than I imagined by watching them in close succession. Revenge of the Sith is by far the best of the first three.

That's the starter out of the way. Now, do I go straight to the main course of A New Hope (always my favourite, as it brings back happy memories of going to the Bradford Odeon age 11 with my mum to watch it on its original release) or do I have a bit of a diversion with Solo and Rogue One first? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

I've often thought about doing this before, but never got round to it as it means having to sit through The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones again before getting onto the good stuff, and I didn't really enjoy those two the first time round.

However, I'm three films in now, and found that I enjoyed all the prequels a lot more than I imagined by watching them in close succession. Revenge of the Sith is by far the best of the first three.

That's the starter out of the way. Now, do I go straight to the main course of A New Hope (always my favourite, as it brings back happy memories of going to the Bradford Odeon age 11 with my mum to watch it on its original release) or do I have a bit of a diversion with Solo and Rogue One first? 

I’ve always thought  of A New Hope as Star Wars 

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

Rogue One then Star Wars (A New Hope) is best I think for plot continuity.

I enjoyed Solo but I’m not sure it’s critical to the timeline.

On seconds thoughts maybe it would make a nice change of pace.

Rogue One leads directly into A New Hope, and it's the best of the recent SW films they've put out since Disney bought the franchise IMO so even more reason to watch it.

12 hours ago, DavidM said:

I’ve always thought  of A New Hope as Star Wars 

On it's original release it was just called Star Wars. It was only after Empire came out that they went and retrspecitvely changed it to Episode IV: A New Hope.

15 hours ago, John Drake said:

When you have finished and recovered, I would highly recommend Battlestar Galactica /2004-9 tv series - it’s only 4 seasons, all of which are on BBCIPlayer. Many would say it is the finest Sci-fi ever.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0407362/?ref_=tt_urv

• Like 2

2 hours ago, glemiln said:

When you have finished and recovered, I would highly recommend Battlestar Galactica /2004-9 tv series - it’s only 4 seasons, all of which are on BBCIPlayer. Many would say it is the finest Sci-fi ever.

On a science fiction tangent, I see that the cult SF/comedy show The Lexx is on Amazon Prime.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 hours ago, glemiln said:

Absolutely brilliant series, I've got the complete series on Blu-Ray, what an experience that is! 

Watched the film Memento last night , supposed to be a psychcological thriller directed by Christopher Nolan .Guess the film was shot to replicate how the lead character lived a life where he couldn`t learn new memories , which is all well and good . But it did my head in , the whole thing just whirled around in a disjointed mess , entertaining it was not , nor thrilling , anyone who hasn`t seen it , give it a miss . 

Edited by ivans82

On 10/09/2020 at 19:56, Gerrumonside ref said:

Rogue One then Star Wars (A New Hope) is best I think for plot continuity.

I enjoyed Solo but I’m not sure it’s critical to the timeline.

On seconds thoughts maybe it would make a nice change of pace.

Indeed , Rogue One is essentially episode 3 1/2 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Watched the film Memento last night , supposed to be a psychcological thriller directed by Christopher Nolan .Guess the film was shot to replicate how the lead character lived a life where he couldn`t learn new memories , which is all well and good . But it did my head in , the whole thing just whirled around in a disjointed mess , entertaining it was not , nor thrilling , anyone who hasn`t seen it , give it a miss . 

Stick to the Sharknado's 😉

Remember, you have to finish the 'Star Wars' marathon with Turkish Star Wars.

Ralph Waldo Emerson