Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

On 13/09/2020 at 09:59, ivans82 said:

Watched the film Memento last night , supposed to be a psychcological thriller directed by Christopher Nolan .Guess the film was shot to replicate how the lead character lived a life where he couldn`t learn new memories , which is all well and good . But it did my head in , the whole thing just whirled around in a disjointed mess , entertaining it was not , nor thrilling , anyone who hasn`t seen it , give it a miss . 

Sounds a bit like the last 4 years of Leeds Rhinos.  But their fans might be better to comment. 😏

Noticed Under the Skin is on all4. An incredible film if you haven't seen it, about an alien in the body of a woman who wanders the streets of Glasgow killing people and feeding off their bodies. Incredibly dark, incredibly creepy, minimalist. Haven't seen it in a couple of years, will be watching again now its on catchup. I highly recommend!

Another film on there, Sightseers, film about a couple who go on a caravan holiday to Yorkshire and through a series of events end up becoming serial killers. Again, highly recommend! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Noticed Under the Skin is on all4. An incredible film if you haven't seen it, about an alien in the body of a woman who wanders the streets of Glasgow killing people and feeding off their bodies. Incredibly dark, incredibly creepy, minimalist. Haven't seen it in a couple of years, will be watching again now its on catchup. I highly recommend!

Another film on there, Sightseers, film about a couple who go on a caravan holiday to Yorkshire and through a series of events end up becoming serial killers. Again, highly recommend! 

I'm begining to worry about you 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, voteronniegibbs said:

I watched Tenet last night, thought it was very well written, you certainly need to keep up with the plot

Yeah. I managed to see it at the pictures in the Summer. I’d like to watch it again to follow it a bit better and appreciate how it was blended together

• Like 1

Have just finished the latest episodes of the excellent  French series  “ SPIRAL’”, which has kept the high quality going over 8 seasons! Many of the key actors used have been there since it started in 2006, especially Audrey Fleurot, 🥰Caroline Proust 🥰and Thierry Godard. 
All is on BBCIPlayer for 10 months. 
The new “ Lupin” has just started on Netflix.  It has promise, but, sadly, despite its Paris setting, it’s not in French and some of the ‘dubbing’ is awful and I may resort to subtitles.

• Like 1

Well its been a while since i got to see kill bill and then only in bits sat in some bar on holiday, So i sat thru 1 and 2 and it was brilliant, new sound box made it extra special. Quality.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had a good afternoon of films today, working my way through iplayer, I've watched, 

12 Monkeys, first time I've seen it in about 10 years, still brilliant, love Terry Gilliam as a director. 

The Conversation, also not seen for ages, didn't enjoy it quite as much as in the past, still very good, seemed even more bleak and miserable this time than it did before. 

Nightcrawler, second time I've seen it, absolutely amazing film, so dark, even more creepy this time than the first, Jake Gyllenhaal is scary in it, such a psychotic character, really great performance. 

Tomorrow I may be going for Cat People 1 & 2 and the Hitchcock classic Suspicion. 

• Like 1

just watched Greenland starring gerard butler a disaster movie about a planet killing comet heading for the earth,sounds like your typical disaster movie but it is absolutely brilliantly done.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

6 minutes ago, my missus said:

just watched Greenland starring gerard butler a disaster movie about a planet killing comet heading for the earth,sounds like your typical disaster movie but it is absolutely brilliantly done.

The BBC film critic Mark Kermode, who has frequently ridiculed Gerrrrrrrarrrrrrd Butlerrrrrrrr! movies, said he's watched it several times already and absolutely loved it. A proper OTT disaster flick in all the best ways, apparently.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

21 minutes ago, my missus said:

Yeah. I liked it. When it started I just thought 2012 but by the end thought it was much better

How many films have been made about earth destroying comets or asteroids? I can think of 3 off the top of my head. The one mentioned above, Armaggedon and Deep Impact.

You'd think Hollywood would think it had been done now. What gets me about the latter two as well is they came out within just a couple of years of each other. Did someone in Hollywood not look across the street at some point and go, "that lot seem to be making the same film we are". 

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

The BBC film critic Mark Kermode, who has frequently ridiculed Gerrrrrrrarrrrrrd Butlerrrrrrrr! movies, said he's watched it several times already and absolutely loved it. A proper OTT disaster flick in all the best ways, apparently.

Shut up Buttwad I think you’ll find

I recently watched Der Hauptmann(The Captain 2017) a true story about a deserter in WW2 who masquerades as an officer. I wont say anymore due to spoilers but it was very good i thought.

Last night i watched Mother 2009 a Bong Joon-ho movie and really liked it. Again no spoilers.

I really like my foreign subtitled moves and have watched lots over the years.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Managed to catch up with Michael Mann’s “Collateral” tonight, albeit some 17 years late!  The director seldom fails to please with his great affinity with the streets of LA and the soundtrack is great. Includes the Steel Cello Lament from “Heat”. Quite a change of role for Tom Cruise and the excellent Jamie Foxx.  Currently on Sky movies if you wish to catch up too.

Gave Greenland a go tonight.  Yup pretty much does what everyone has said already.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Breezy (1973)
An early one from Clint Eastwood's directing career; the same year as High Plains Drifter.

Breezy, a free-spirited hippie girl (played by Kay Lenz) overcomes the outward curmudgeonliness of Frank, a staid older man with an unpleasant divorce recently behind him (played by William Holden).

Kay Lenz is adorably wide-eyed and upbeat, while Holden's performance of a misanthropic square whose crustiness is worn away by Breezy's charm and innocent optimism, is excellent.

The supporting cast are mainly Frank's circle of acquaintances, and don't have a lot to do but do it pretty well, especially Bob, played by Roger Carmel (aka Harry Mudd, if you're a Trekkie).

In short, not a great movie, but certainly a good one. Recommended.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just noticed that 'Star' has been added to Disney Plus, so a whole different range of movies.

I went for something high brow....

'Commando'

Arnie at his finest!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Two films I’ve seen this week that were good in different ways.

Disney Pixar animation Coco - DVD

A Day of the Dead sort of setting, featuring a boy who visits his ancestors. Despite its fun and skeletal characters, or maybe because of them, this was an above average animation well worth a look. Family fun.

Paul Greengrass directed film News of the World

We like almost all films with Tom Hanks in. This one is a western filmed in New Mexico which in the film is Texas. It’s a dangerous journey film which touches on a range of important themes reflects on life in those times and the relationship between the settlers and the indigenous peoples.

The film follows a Civil War veteran (Hanks) who must return a young girl (really well played by Helena Zengel) who was taken in by Native Americans as a little girl to her last remaining family.

This is currently being shown on Netflix.