Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

23 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Fauda on Netflix.

PARDON?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

PARDON?

After retiring from the Israel Defense Force, Doron is working on a vineyard. He gets roped back into active duty, though, upon learning that an enemy who Doron thought his unit had killed is still alive and plans on attending his brother's wedding. Doron rejoins the IDF team with the intention of going under cover at the wedding, but the plan goes awry when the team's cover is blown. That sets into motion a chaotic chain of events and leads IDF into a manhunt to locate and kill the squad's target.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Nothing much on TV right now, so I'm treating myself to a re-watch of Trading Places. Always a pleasure*.

*and not because of those scenes with Jamie Lee Curtis**.

**not entirely, anyway. :kolobok_unsure:

• Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have been "Treating" my 12 yo daughter to the entire Star Wars Series, but we have seemed to have stalled just after episode V. I put Rogue One, and Solo between Episodes III & IV, but she isn't interested in ep VI. It isn't like I have been thrusting it upon her, I only see her every 2nd Sunday, but I think her lack of enthusiasm may have something to do with her lack of contact at school. She goes back on the 8th, I see her on the 14th, she may be in a better mood then.

Edited by Bleep1673

I started watching the 1957 film 'The Story of Mankind' the other night. Despite a phenomenal cast*, it was a dreary, over-worthy trudge, and I dozed off a couple of times before bailing out. Be warned.

*Check out the names involved! Ronald Colman (his last film), the Marx Brothers, Dennis Hopper, Vincent Price, Cesar Romero...

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wonder Woman 1984

Rubbish

ignoring the dodgy sexual politics going on with Chris Pine occupying someone else’s body, it demonstrates why the Marvel films are so much better than the DC films.

Spoiler alert

the premise starts off straight away with a magic artefact, in a marvel movie we’d have been given a hint two or three films ago but no, boom. Magic statue thing. Twice the plot revolves around her suddenly remembering an ability or tool she hasn’t used before. The seemingly magical fuel tank on a short range fighter that can fly fromWashington to Cairo and back without refuelling. The First World War pilot that can handle a supersonic jet. But the worst aspect is the denouement where Diana wins the day by appealing to the world’s better nature. If the past few years teach us anything it’s that the world doesn’t have a better nature.

Edited by Shadow

8 hours ago, Shadow said:

Wonder Woman 1984

Rubbish

ignoring the dodgy sexual politics going on with Chris Pine occupying someone else’s body, it demonstrates why the Marvel films are so much better than the DC films.

Spoiler alert

the premise starts off straight away with a magic artefact, in a marvel movie we’d have been given a hint two or three films ago but no, boom. Magic statue thing. Twice the plot revolves around her suddenly remembering an ability or tool she hasn’t used before. The seemingly magical fuel tank on a short range fighter that can fly fromWashington to Cairo and back without refuelling. The First World War pilot that can handle a supersonic jet. But the worst aspect is the denouement where Diana wins the day by appealing to the world’s better nature. If the past few years teach us anything it’s that the world doesn’t have a better nature.

I don't know if you're a Red Letter Media fan but their review on YouTube is worth catching.

Basically, you're being very kind compared to them.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

I don't know if you're a Red Letter Media fan but their review on YouTube is worth catching.

Basically, you're being very kind compared to them.

I’m not, but I’ll seek it out

Talking of RedLetterMedia, one of their reviews involved starting the first three Michael Bay Transformers movies simultaneously, just to highlight the formulaic way these wretched flicks are churned out.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Red Willow said:

sat through 4 hours of Justice League. Overlong, over blown. 

It was rubbish the first time round, what made you think it being two hours longer would make it better?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000hqt9

Love & Mercy

Focuses on songwriter Brian Wilson’s creativity in leading the Beach Boys during the 1960’s and his struggles with mental illness. The latter not helped by a manipulative doctor played ‘enthusiastically’ by Paul Giamatti.  The film cuts between the 1960’s and the 1980’s, with Paul Dano and John Cusack playing, respectively, Wilson during those periods. Cusack, lucky sod, supported by the lovely Elizabeth Banks. The studio music sessions are very good and there is a bonus music feature during the credits.  Highly recommended. Only 25 days to watch on BBCIPlayer.

11 hours ago, Shadow said:

It was rubbish the first time round, what made you think it being two hours longer would make it better?

I didn't watch it first time round and didn't know it was as long as it was.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Red Willow said:

sat through 4 hours of Justice League. Overlong, over blown. 

The general view I've got from various critics is that it is better than the original cinematic release (which isn't saying much). I also heard that it is clearly divided into several sections, so you could treat it as a mini-series by taking a break at the end of each one.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Think it was divided into 6 parts. I don't think you would lose much watching in parts.

I felt it was self indulgent but husband enjoyed it. I think Marvel have a more polished product and many of the characters looked like Marvel ones.

Oh and just no to Jeremy Irons as Alfred.

On 24/03/2021 at 13:56, ivans82 said:

Watched 3 billboards outside ebbing missouri again the other day ... excellent....film4 have the shape of water on this week will watch that again too .

Shape of Water was good viewing , classic old tunes aswell.

On 25/03/2021 at 18:50, Red Willow said:

Think it was divided into 6 parts. I don't think you would lose much watching in parts.

I felt it was self indulgent but husband enjoyed it. I think Marvel have a more polished product and many of the characters looked like Marvel ones.

Oh and just no to Jeremy Irons as Alfred.

i enjoyed it more than the first attempt which i thought was ok, i watched it over two nights and thought the six part thing was a great idea.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

4 hour cut of Justice League is much better - Cyborg and Flash actually have characters and the main villain is more than just a generic bit of CGI.

Original cut was meh of the highest order, the 4 hour version is good.

Last night i watched They Live - cracking bit of 80s cinema.  Very subtle politics  🙂