Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Six Minutes to Midnight (2021)

British thriller set on the eve of World War 2.

Reminded me too much of television instead of cinema and it’s a bit patchy in places.

Not bad.

6/10

I really enjoyed the performances by Eddie Izzard and Celyn Jones and could see those characters in a TV series. However, it did not really hang together and I wonder if it was over-edited as it was not as suspenseful as it could have been

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rawschach said:

4 hour cut of Justice League is much better - Cyborg and Flash actually have characters and the main villain is more than just a generic bit of CGI.

Original cut was meh of the highest order, the 4 hour version is good.

Last night i watched They Live - cracking bit of 80s cinema.  Very subtle politics  🙂 

For the Justice League movie, every time you take a break between sections, play this.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

As for 'They Live', that's a proper B-movie in the best sense of the term. Not sure I'd call it subtle, but great subversive fun.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

32 minutes ago, metallithrax said:

Also watched "They Live" yesterday.  Followed by "2012" and today, "The Day After Tomorrow", "It Came from Beneath the Sea", "this Isalnd Earth" and now "Earth vs The Flying Saucers".

I haven't seen "2012" for a long time, and was dubious about the book and the film from the start. Good cast, though, so I might have to give it another chance.

I like "This Island Earth", though. You know, you can even buy a toy Metaluna Mutant. Google the prices on your DIY Interocitor!

711-Wr7WnCL._AC_SX522_.jpg

• Like 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...

There's one hell of a lot of F@nny in this film.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mrs Shadow & I watched Palm Springs last night, quite a fun take on the Groundhog Day scenario. Worth the investment of two hours of your life.

Thunder Force however.... isn't. 

• Like 1

I admit I've been completely disappointed recently with the films I've watched. I can't quite make up my mind which kind of remake I hate the most: the one where they re-do a classic or the one where they ressurect a shouldn't have been made in the first place.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I've been trying to recall the name of this film for ages, but a random Tweet led me to the unfinished animation The Thief and the Cobbler.
Part 1 of 7 here, and the other parts are on the same Youtube account: https://youtu.be/yZibUpH-AME
Remarkable artwork.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I showed my 12 year old Akira Kurowsaki's "Seven Samurai" at the weekend, and went off half way through it to do our fish curry, she was very quiet, and I thought she had fallen asleep, but when I returned to the living room, she said to me, "Touch the TV and you are dead". She sat through the entire film in one sitting.

• Like 1

On 28/04/2021 at 00:17, Futtocks said:

I've been trying to recall the name of this film for ages, but a random Tweet led me to the unfinished animation The Thief and the Cobbler.
Part 1 of 7 here, and the other parts are on the same Youtube account: https://youtu.be/yZibUpH-AME
Remarkable artwork.

That led me down this fascinating rabbit-hole...

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have a new favourite film to complain about.

This is a film both husband and I had to stop watching it is so bad. Its worse than Battle filed Earth. 

If you see this film advertised walk on by.

Never watch Cosmic Sin. It's a sin it was made, Bruce Willis must have owed money to appear in this.

Turned it off and watched Things Heard and seen. Great ghost story really enjoyed it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

Never watch Cosmic Sin. It's a sin it was made, Bruce Willis must have owed money to appear in this.

Like Harrison Ford and Liam Neeson, you get the feeling Willis just doesn't care any more. Crank 'em out and forget 'em.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Like Harrison Ford and Liam Neeson, you get the feeling Willis just doesn't care any more. Crank 'em out and forget 'em.

If someone wants to pay him 1.2m for the appearance more fool them

9 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

If someone wants to pay him 1.2m for the appearance more fool them

"But he's a big-name star!"

"Yes, a big-name star who seems barely awake and clearly wants to be somewhere else."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 02/05/2021 at 18:57, Red Willow said:

I have a new favourite film to complain about.

This is a film both husband and I had to stop watching it is so bad. Its worse than Battle filed Earth. 

If you see this film advertised walk on by.

Turned it off and watched Things Heard and seen. Great ghost story really enjoyed it.

Sadly, I wasted my Saturday night on this one.

I agree, it is absolutely dreadful. Possibly the worst film I've ever sat through.

I'm not sure why Bruce Willis is even in it. You sort of expect him to save the world at the end. I mean, why else would you cast Bruce Willis? But unless I nodded off at a key moment, his character plays no part whatsoever in the conclusion of the film.

On 03/04/2021 at 14:53, Gerrumonside ref said:

Six Minutes to Midnight (2021)

British thriller set on the eve of World War 2.

Reminded me too much of television instead of cinema and it’s a bit patchy in places.

Not bad.

6/10

I enjoyed that one.

My mind was wandering a bit after the first few scenes, but it picked up a bit after that and kept my attention till the end.

• Like 1