Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

On 27/04/2021 at 10:14, Gerrumonside ref said:

Promising Young Woman 

Difficult in places to watch, but this is a modern classic and highly stylised.

8/10

(I’m enjoying that while Hollywood is holding back on CGI fests that the script based dramas are getting more of a look in).

I thought it was excellent, really thought provoking.

• Like 1

On 02/05/2021 at 19:11, Futtocks said:

Like Harrison Ford and Liam Neeson, you get the feeling Willis just doesn't care any more. Crank 'em out and forget 'em.

There are two relevant quotes fro Michael Caine when asked about Jaws 4

”I’ve never seen it, I hear it’s terrible but I have seen the house it bought my mum, it’s terrific”

and

”they sent me the script, on page one it said ‘scene one: The Bahamas’ I said I’m in”

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Shadow said:

There are two relevant quotes fro Michael Caine when asked about Jaws 4

”I’ve never seen it, I hear it’s terrible but I have seen the house it bought my mum, it’s terrific”

and

”they sent me the script, on page one it said ‘scene one: The Bahamas’ I said I’m in”

Caine still would look for and perform in worthy material; he just didn't mind the occasional turkey along the way if it paid well.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Mitchells vs The Machines by the same people who brought you Spider-verse and The Lego Movie. Nowhere near as good as either of those - but then, what is? - but top drawer stuff. As per usual, it is ridiculously good fun and very warm hearted. You can probably write every plot development that will happen after about five minutes of watching but stay with it for the humour, the insanely good animation and Olivia Colman as an evil phone app.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 28/04/2021 at 00:17, Futtocks said:

I've been trying to recall the name of this film for ages, but a random Tweet led me to the unfinished animation The Thief and the Cobbler.
Part 1 of 7 here, and the other parts are on the same Youtube account: https://youtu.be/yZibUpH-AME
Remarkable artwork.

Here's the chase scene.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 29/04/2021 at 21:42, voteronniegibbs said:

the only film that I enjoyed, that was a proper remake, was the Coen brothers take on True Grit

That was because the first one wasn't that good, I think.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I watched the "Despecialized Edition" of the original Star Wars last night. It took me back in a way that George Lucas' repeatedly "improved" revisions never have.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/04/2018 at 00:37, John Drake said:

Inspired by Futtocks' Cheesy B Movie thread, and by my acquisition of a Cineworld Unlimited card, I thought I'd do a bit of a film review thread of stuff I've seen recently that I'd recommend (or not) to others.

Feel free to add your own!

In no particular order...

Funny Cow - Maxine Peake plays a good part as an aspiring female comic in the 70s, but if you're looking for a laugh, give it a wide berth. It is definitely not a comedy or an uplifting night out. And the jokes she does tell, in the brief 'on stage' sequence are excruciatingly of their time that'll make you glad times have moved on since then.

Ready Player One - Spielberg does video games. It's visually spectacular, but it wasn't really my cup of tea, as I'm not and never have been a gamer so I'll have missed probably a thousand in-jokes and references. It reminded me a bit of Willy Wonka at the end (and that's a compliment).

A Quiet Place - Loved this one. I'm not usually a fan of horror films, but this is more suspenseful than gory, and it's interesting to see a film with hardly any dialogue that is so gripping. I went to see it in a busy cinema on a Saturday night and people hardly dare scoff their popcorn during the really quiet bits.

Ghost Stories - Another spooky offering, I enjoyed this more than I thought I would tbh. Three seemingly separate stories linked by a twist at the end, hard to say anything more without offering any spoilers, but if you like old Amicus or Hammer horrors, or Inside No. 9 on TV, you should really go to see this.

The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society - Don't be put off by the clunky title which doesn't really do it any favours. It's a decent little wartime mystery with a good cast, but not too many surprises. It could've done with being a bit pacier, it's about 20 minutes too long. I made the mistake of going to an early morning screening that, unbeknown to me, was subtitled for the hard of hearing. As the opening scene features shouty German soldiers, it took me a good five minutes to realise they were subtitling the English characters as well, which was a bit distracting over two hours.

Scott and Sid - I saw this in a rare cinema screening in Bradford, as I don't think it's had a major release, but it is well worth catching on DVD or download. It's the (mostly) true story about a couple of downtrodden Bradford schoolmates who overcome the woes in their home lives to forge a successful business partnership and eventually go on to, er, make this film, which is basically what it's about. The two young actors who play the leads are very good, though its odd they chose to film the Bradford scenes in York, as it doesn't look grim enough (I'm a Bradfordian, I'm allowed to say that, no one else is though!! ;) )

Black Panther - I used to watch a lot of superhero movies, then got a bit stalled with them so have missed a sizeable chunk of the 'Marvel Cinematic Universe' as it's called these days, to the extent I likely won't have a clue what's going on in the new Avengers movie when it comes out in June (that's Avengers: Infinity War, not 'The New Avengers' movie, though I'd definitely pay to see the return of Purdey, Gambit and Steed, if they ever decided to make that one). The unavoidable hype surrounding Black Panther got me back into the cinema to see what the fuss was about, and it was, well, it was ok. I liked the concept of the hidden African nation of Wakanda, and the James Bond-ish elements with all the gadgets, but there were bits where I felt I was being hit over the head with a stick bearing the words 'this is a REALLY important cinematic landmark' when really, it's just another superhero film.

The Greatest Showman - I thought I'd hate this, but it was hugely enjoyable. Possibly deserves a place in the cheesy B movie thread, as it is no great cinematic shakes and corny as hell, but hell, they get half a lifetime's exposition out of the way in the space of a single song, and all the songs are really catchy. I predict this'll pop up on TV on Boxing Day for the rest of recorded time.

Unsane - This is really claustrophobic, filmed entirely on iPhones apparently, and starring Claire Foy (aka HM Queen on Netflix) who accidentally gets committed to a disreputable psychiatric hospital while also being terrorised by a former partner. You'll feel like you've been through the wringer after watching it. I'm not sure 'enjoyable' would be an appropriate description for the subject matter, but it's definitely gripping.

That's it for now, I might add a few more later if I can be bothered! ;)

After those pints I'm glad can walk/stagger home

On 07/05/2021 at 22:07, Bleep1673 said:

Just watched 15 cert Terminator, and T2, so I can play them for my 12yo daughter tomorrow, they are spine tingling. They are superb. I loved them both, and the making of T2. Arnie is fantastic in T2.

But not the way Private Ryan scared her last year.. I let her believe Arnie was CGI, COMPLETE.

This could be fun.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Undercover and Ferry - the latter a 2021 release 'prequel' 2 hour film, to the former (2019) 2 season series each of 10 episodes.   These Flemish/Dutch productions (with good subtitles, as well as some English - do not use dubbing) are excellent all-round.  There have been some comparisons with Breaking Bad - as good these are, not quite in that league.  The two main characters Ferry (kingpin drug lord) and Bob (undercover agent) are excellent, with some very good supporting characters and a few naughty bits.   Both items are on Netflix.

36 minutes ago, glemiln said:

Undercover and Ferry - the latter a 2021 release 'prequel' 2 hour film, to the former (2019) 2 season series each of 10 episodes.   These Flemish/Dutch productions (with good subtitles, as well as some English - do not use dubbing) are excellent all-round.  There have been some comparisons with Breaking Bad - as good these are, not quite in that league.  The two main characters Ferry (kingpin drug lord) and Bob (undercover agent) are excellent, with some very good supporting characters and a few naughty bits.   Both items are on Netflix.

I didn't enjoy the second series of Undercover as much as the first - mainly because I thought they didn't have quite as much fun with the ridiculous setting in the second series as much as they did in the first - but I will be watching the film one of these evenings.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• 2 weeks later...

This is coming soon. It could be awful. It could be amazing. I'm hoping it is both.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just watched Bernadette Where'd You Go and enjoyed the fact there was nothing gratuitous from start to finish, films like that seem to be rarer and rarer.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

the horror channel really do put on some dreadful movies but its worth a trawl through the schedules to find the odd gem now and again

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

the horror channel really do put on some dreadful movies but its worth a trawl through the schedules to find the odd gem now and again

True; with so many channels, the chances of stumbling across something is lessened. You have to put in the work.

I check on this site - https://www.viewfilm.net/date/20210620 - and am often surprised by what is being shown on some obscure channel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Liverpool Rover said:

Last night I watched Saint Maud, not a bad film though the ending was predictable. After that I watched Porco Rosso, I haven't yet seen a Ghibli film that I haven't enjoyed.

Porco Rosso sometimes gets ignored, because Hayao Miyazaki said something slightly disparaging about it, but he has since reconsidered what is a really good Ghibli movie.

How did you watch it; subbed or dubbed?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Decent French sci-fi Oxygen is on Netflix now. It might not win too many awards for originality and it probably lacks a big enough 'wow' moment to stay too long in the memory but it does have a terrific performance from Melanie Laurent and does more than enough to stay interesting throughout.

Some words from me about it: https://jonsmalldon.wordpress.com/2021/06/22/film-review-oxygen-2021/

Next up may very well be Fast and Furious 9 as Little Ginger will want to go and see it and, unfortunately, he needs support when going to the cinema so that'll be me.

On 21/06/2021 at 17:22, Futtocks said:

Porco Rosso sometimes gets ignored, because Hayao Miyazaki said something slightly disparaging about it, but he has since reconsidered what is a really good Ghibli movie.

How did you watch it; subbed or dubbed?

It was dubbed. I’ll have to watch them all again subbed.