Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

I don't care who is reading this, never have done, Tomorrow I will be introducing my 12 y-o daughter to a 15 film. Assault on Precinct 13, original version, you really should watch this in a heat wave, to get the feel, not like British Colombia, Vancouver style though.

Turks & Caicos with Bill Nighy

"Whatever happened to shame?" 

"It went the way of honour!"

And sailors & harlots of course.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

23 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

I don't care who is reading this, never have done, Tomorrow I will be introducing my 12 y-o daughter to a 15 film. Assault on Precinct 13, original version, you really should watch this in a heat wave, to get the feel, not like British Colombia, Vancouver style though.

Thinking of one notorious scene from that movie, is this just you in skinflint mode, making sure she never pesters you for an ice cream again?

• Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

By the way, at 4:35pm this afternoon on Talking Pictures TV, they are showing the Laurel & Hardy film, 'Sons of the Desert'.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Gave 'Once upon a time... in Hollywood' a go.  Enjoyed the first 2 'acts' more than than last, which is hard to talk about without spoilers.  It's a pure Tarantino ending.  Overall, i liked it.  

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

• 2 weeks later...

Wilde (1997) on BBC iPlayer

Pretty much a stellar cast examining the rise and fall of Oscar Wilde in British society.

Some really powerful performances and more nudity than an average episode of Game of Thrones.

An adult film for a mature audience that some will struggle with.

8/10

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

13 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Wilde (1997) on BBC iPlayer.....

more nudity than an average episode of Game of Thrones.

An adult film for a mature audience that some will struggle with.

8/10

I've always been a fan of Oscar Wilde, I may watch that next time Mrs Shadow's away.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Shadow said:

I've always been a fan of Oscar Wilde, I may watch that next time Mrs Shadow's away.

On 18/07/2021 at 23:37, Gerrumonside ref said:

Wilde (1997) on BBC iPlayer

more nudity than an average episode of Game of Thrones.

You might have told me it was mainly Michael Sheen & Stephen Frye getting au naturel

I mean really powerful stuff. A strong story well told. 

10 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Sorry haha!  It is a story well told I agree!

I normally find Stephen Frye insufferably smug but in this instance I was able to disregard his annoying persona.

Having a supporting cast that strong helps as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shadow said:

I normally find Stephen Frye insufferably smug but in this instance I was able to disregard his annoying persona.

Having a supporting cast that strong helps as well.

My only criticism might be that there wasn’t enough of an airing of his Wilde’s actual work itself which would have been interesting for me.

I think the writer/director assumed a level of familiarity in that regard that I didn’t have.

But in terms of revealing a take on the man and his life it is as you say a powerful piece of work with a number of good performances.

watched an american werewolf in london again last night to remind me just how good films were before all this cgi and over produced rubbish

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

watched an american werewolf in london again last night to remind me just how good films were before all this cgi and over produced rubbish

I remember watching that as a kid and being petrified . It was one of those films that stuck with you . Jenny Agutter was an upside though 

32 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I remember watching that as a kid and being petrified . It was one of those films that stuck with you . Jenny Agutter was an upside though 

they dont make actors like brian glover anymore or wrestlers

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 17/06/2021 at 21:49, Johnoco said:

Just been to see 'Nobody' starring Bob Odenkirk (Better Call Saul/Breaking Bad).

It's absolutely fantastic.

Watched it today.  Really enjoyed it.  Yes, maybe a bit formalistic, but cracked along at a good pace, no filler.  90 minute movie for once instead of the 2hrs plus bloated affairs that seem common.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On 18/06/2021 at 17:55, Futtocks said:

This is coming soon. It could be awful. It could be amazing. I'm hoping it is both.

This has come out in the USA (another month 'til it hits UK screens) and the reviews suggest it is one of those good Nicolas Cage movies; the ones that come along every now and then and remind you that he can be more than a one-man meme factory. Looking forward to it!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 17/06/2021 at 21:49, Johnoco said:

Just been to see 'Nobody' starring Bob Odenkirk (Better Call Saul/Breaking Bad).

It's absolutely fantastic.

Just finished watching it. Utter tosh. I loved it, the wife hated it.

I’m feeling quietly pleased and slightly smug, serves her right for the years of misery heaped on my shoulders subjecting me to the endless stupid, turgid episodes of Eastenders and Emmerdale.🥳

• Haha 1