Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

Greyhound (2020, 1 hr 31 min)

WW2 naval drama with Tom Hanks captain of a US destroyer desperately trying to guard a convoy during the Battle of the Atlantic.

All action right from the off, but lacks the character development of the supporting cast of say a ‘Saving Private Ryan’.

Still worth a watch if you like the subject matter (although exclusive to Apple TV+).

7/10

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1

On 24/07/2021 at 13:54, Futtocks said:

This has come out in the USA (another month 'til it hits UK screens) and the reviews suggest it is one of those good Nicolas Cage movies; the ones that come along every now and then and remind you that he can be more than a one-man meme factory. Looking forward to it!

I just watched 'Pig' and, while I loved it, some will see it as too slow and downbeat for a regular Nicolas Cage flick. I respectfully disagree. It a pleasure to see Cage really acting, instead of just doing the wild-eyed, high-kicking gonzo thing that pays the bills. But there's still always a lurking hint of the craziness.

Plus there's an extra resonance for anyone who's ever worked in the hospitality industry. The scene in the restaurant, the underground remains of the hotel, and other parts have a heightened reality feel, but the strangeness works with the rest of the plot. Excellent supporting cast, great cinematography and, on the whole, well-chosen music.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lad: A Yorkshire Story is a small budget (£65K) semi-autobiographical film from 2013. I had no idea it existed until it somehow popped up as "recommended" on Amazon Prime. 

A little gem of a film! 😀 

Also available in full on YouTube 👇

Apparently it's got a lot of views via streaming services during lockdown. 

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

On 20/07/2021 at 16:56, graveyard johnny said:

watched an american werewolf in london again last night to remind me just how good films were before all this cgi and over produced rubbish

I saw that, great film.

Ferris Beuler was on Sunday, my 12yo had never seen it before, I haven't heard her laugh out loud so much in ages.

On 02/08/2021 at 05:01, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Lad: A Yorkshire Story is a small budget (£65K) semi-autobiographical film from 2013. I had no idea it existed until it somehow popped up as "recommended" on Amazon Prime. 

A little gem of a film! 😀 

Also available in full on YouTube 👇

Apparently it's got a lot of views via streaming services during lockdown. 

Sounds like exactly the type of film I will enjoy and will give it a look this week, just watched Pond life on prime ,probably along similar lines brings back great memories of how life was across the north and still is in a way in my home village, I see so much of people I have known in the characters 

On 20/07/2021 at 16:56, graveyard johnny said:

watched an american werewolf in london again last night to remind me just how good films were before all this cgi and over produced rubbish

A great horror film (with a terrible sequel).

But when you talk about all the CGI, when AAWIL came out, I bet someone grumbled about how good films were before all these gimmicky special effects.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, Route66 said:

Sounds like exactly the type of film I will enjoy and will give it a look this week, just watched Pond life on prime ,probably along similar lines brings back great memories of how life was across the north and still is in a way in my home village, I see so much of people I have known in the characters 

Hope you enjoy it. 

I'll try Pond Life. 😊 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

5 hours ago, Futtocks said:

A great horror film (with a terrible sequel).

But when you talk about all the CGI, when AAWIL came out, I bet someone grumbled about how good films were before all these gimmicky special effects.

yes, that was me as well

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Paris By Night. 2012. Amazon Prime. French with subtitles.

One night of a French police commander ‘engaging’ with Paris’ “demi-monde”.  An excellent, original piece it is. Beautifully staged against a superbly lit and damp Paris with a very good soundtrack.  Thanks France.

Heard on the grapevine they're doing another Beverley Hills Cop movie , interesting that they're partnering  Eddie Murphy with a CGI George Formby 

Running title is " Turned out nice again mother****** " 😉

Mrs Shadow and I have been revisiting some date movies from when we first met and the early days of being married.
Most recently Trading Places and Tootsie.

Trading Places I remembered as one of the funniest films I had ever seen, sadly these days it doesn't stamd up. 

Tootsie however, is still brilliant. 

Partly I think it's because they are both made at similar times but Trading Places embraces the sexism and racism that was endemic at the time and isn't funny any longer and Tootsie challlenges them in a way that being a fully paid up member of the Wokerati i wouldlike to think I would.

Also, one film has Eddie Murphy, Jamie Lee Curtis and Dan Aykroyd doing the heavy lifting with Denholm Elliot the other has Dustin Hoffman, Jessica Lange, Terri Garr and Sidney Pollack.

Hmm, 'Trading Places' ends with the complete ruin of the two racist characters (and an even worse fate for their henchman). The next time we see them (in 'Coming to America'), they're living on the street. I re-watched it, and still found it pretty funny, in a broad-brush way.

I haven't seen 'Tootsie' in ages, but remember really enjoying it.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Hmm, 'Trading Places' ends with the complete ruin of the two racist characters (and an even worse fate for their henchman). The next time we see them (in 'Coming to America'), they're living on the street. I re-watched it, and still found it pretty funny, in a broad-brush way.

I haven't seen 'Tootsie' in ages, but remember really enjoying it.

Funnily enough it wasn't Randolph and Mortimer I had a problem with, they were supposed to be hideous racist bigots, it was more the portrayal of a Nigerian student by Eddie Murphy, the Blacking up by Dan Aykroyd, the portayal of the black female characters as stereotypical hoes only good for getting some t1ts on screen, the tired representation of an Irish Priest as a drunk virtually carrying a pig under his arm and the needless scenes where Jamie Lee Curtis took her top off that offended me, although I did have to check several times how offended I was by Jamie Lee Curtis. 

Tootsie has not dated nearly as much. 

Edited by Shadow

On 05/07/2021 at 23:06, Bedford Roughyed said:

Gave 'Once upon a time... in Hollywood' a go.  Enjoyed the first 2 'acts' more than than last, which is hard to talk about without spoilers.  It's a pure Tarantino ending.  Overall, i liked it.  

I enjoyed it, Pitt and DiCaprio made for an unlikely double act but it worked well.

Trivia: In Kill Bill 2 the the little girl who plays the Brides Daughter at the end is also the hitchhiker girl in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 

Just rewatched the Lord of the Rings trilogy on a 75 inch screen with superb surround sound. 

Id almost forgotten just how absolutely fantastic these three films are in every respect.

The score by Howard Shore is epic, the casting superb, the special effects just right and Peter Jackson had his Sistine Chapel moment

4 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Just rewatched the Lord of the Rings trilogy on a 75 inch screen with superb surround sound. 

Id almost forgotten just how absolutely fantastic these three films are in every respect.

The score by Howard Shore is epic, the casting superb, the special effects just right and Peter Jackson had his Sistine Chapel moment

I've recently been enjoying the Ringheads podcast. It's a bit geeky, as both presenters really got into Tolkien during lockdown, but also irreverent and funny, as they are both comedy writers. They address both the books and the movies. I suspect it may get fairly savage when they get to Jackson's unnecessarily bloated The Hobbit trilogy

Ralph Waldo Emerson

51 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

I endured the first run through the woods, have a fight, run through the woods, have a fight, run through the woods have a fight. Oh look a dragon. And refused to see the others. Among the dullest films I’ve ever seen.

its a kids book that I grew out of by seven.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I endured the first run through the woods, have a fight, run through the woods, have a fight, run through the woods have a fight. Oh look a dragon. And refused to see the others. Among the dullest films I’ve ever seen.

Oh dear, how sad for you!

1 hour ago, Shadow said:

There aren't actually any dragons in Lord of the Rings.

Ralph Waldo Emerson