Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

On 20/12/2019 at 08:35, Johnoco said:

IMO.... The Rise of Skywalker is fantastic. Really good.

????

I’m amazed that anyone who’s ever seen the originals could honestly rate The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker!

IMO, if Ryan Johnson had grown up despising Star Wars, had been bullied by Star Wars fans and his mum left his dad for Mark Hamill. He could conceivably have developed  a seething hatred of all things Star Wars and hatched a plan to ruin it for everyone. If that were the case he couldn’t have done a better hatchet job on the whole Star Wars culture than make The Last Jedi!

Ill give JJ Abraham a bit of a pass as Johnston pretty much left him a pile of complete tish & nowhere to go in his attempts to salvage something in the final film.

There’s a pretty strong lobby from thousands of fans trying to get the 3 sequels made non canon so that someone at some point in the future can finish the saga in a more fitting manner.

Edited by OMEGA

12 hours ago, OMEGA said:

Oh dear, how sad for you!

No, I’m quite happy with my choice, it’s the same reason I don’t want watch the Transformers or Pokemon films.

Edited by Shadow

6 hours ago, OMEGA said:

I’m amazed that anyone who’s ever seen the originals could honestly rate The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker!

IMO, if Ryan Johnson had grown up despising Star Wars, had been bullied by Star Wars fans and his mum left his dad for Mark Hamill. He could conceivably have developed  a seething hatred of all things Star Wars and hatched a plan to ruin it for everyone. If that were the case he couldn’t have done a better hatchet job on the whole Star Wars culture than make The Last Jedi!

Ill give JJ Abraham a bit of a pass as Johnston pretty much left him a pile of complete tish & nowhere to go in his attempts to salvage something in the final film.

There’s a pretty strong lobby from thousands of fans trying to get the 3 sequels made non canon so that someone at some point in the future can finish the saga in a more fitting manner.

image.jpeg.ada1eb64b98d7f0ccfe6472eb370d09f.jpeg

A scene from Nic Cage's new movie, 'Pig'.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

This trailer is worth watching, just for Christopher Walken's nomadic accent. Amazing! :kolobok_biggrin:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I watched The 13th Warrior (1999) yesterday. I think it deserved more praise and success than it got at the time.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

12 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Wonder Woman 84 (2021)

Pays due homage to the tv series.

I’m not a huge fan of Super Hero films tbh, but this was okay with a nice moral.

7/10

I disagree, intensely.

It has extremely questionable sexual /consent / relationship based issues.

There's no attempt to rationalise the artifact, they just go straight to "Its Magic" 
On at least two ocasions she "Remembers" a new power or ability that saves the day, with no earlier reference.
The magic flying suit has no previous reference in either film, but just appears in her apartment.
Chris Pine may be Captain Kirk in another life but even he would struggle to fly a modern fighter jet after being trained on a sopwith camel.
The same modern fighter jet carries enough fuel to fly from the US to Egypt and back again.
The Moral ending relies on the entire world being altruistic enough to go back to the way it was and working together for the good of everyone. If there's anything we've learned from the past 5 or 6 years it's that the human race is at least 50% selfish arrisholes who would happily see the world burn if it meant everyone else didn't get something they aren't in the opinion of the previously mentioed 50% entitled to.

I hated it

• Like 1

On 11/03/2021 at 22:25, Shadow said:

Wonder Woman 1984

Rubbish

ignoring the dodgy sexual politics going on with Chris Pine occupying someone else’s body, it demonstrates why the Marvel films are so much better than the DC films.

Spoiler alert

the premise starts off straight away with a magic artefact, in a marvel movie we’d have been given a hint two or three films ago but no, boom. Magic statue thing. Twice the plot revolves around her suddenly remembering an ability or tool she hasn’t used before. The seemingly magical fuel tank on a short range fighter that can fly fromWashington to Cairo and back without refuelling. The First World War pilot that can handle a supersonic jet. But the worst aspect is the denouement where Diana wins the day by appealing to the world’s better nature. If the past few years teach us anything it’s that the world doesn’t have a better nature.

I didn't like it in March either  :kolobok_biggrin:

Gave Cruella a go on Disney.

I enjoyed it.  Emma Thompson chewed up the scenery.  A few dodgy accents and maybe could do with a 10-20 min trim, but overall quite fun.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

2 hours ago, Shadow said:

I disagree, intensely.

It has extremely questionable sexual /consent / relationship based issues.

There's no attempt to rationalise the artifact, they just go straight to "Its Magic" 
On at least two ocasions she "Remembers" a new power or ability that saves the day, with no earlier reference.
The magic flying suit has no previous reference in either film, but just appears in her apartment.
Chris Pine may be Captain Kirk in another life but even he would struggle to fly a modern fighter jet after being trained on a sopwith camel.
The same modern fighter jet carries enough fuel to fly from the US to Egypt and back again.
The Moral ending relies on the entire world being altruistic enough to go back to the way it was and working together for the good of everyone. If there's anything we've learned from the past 5 or 6 years it's that the human race is at least 50% selfish arrisholes who would happily see the world burn if it meant everyone else didn't get something they aren't in the opinion of the previously mentioed 50% entitled to.

I hated it

Haha, I’ve stumbled onto something here unknowingly!

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

Hobsons Choice...

(early 50's) black and white film with Charles Laughton at his best, and John Mills  & Brenda de Banzie in the lead roles.  .

A romantic period comedy film set in a boot makers around 1890.... in Salford.   

Its a great film classic with the father thinking he rules the roost but its really his 3 daughters that have the power and his eldest whom really controls and manipulates the family.

Don't know if this has been mentioned before, so apologies in advance. Just finished watching The Queens gambit on netflix, wonderful story, who knew chess could be so much fun!

Great storyline, the acting is very good, give it a whirl.