Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Theme tunes 

1. Nobody Does It Better

2. Diamonds Are Forever 

3. Goldfinger

4. Live And Let Die

5. For Your Eyes Only

1. You Know My Name - Chris Cornell.

2. License to Kill - Gladys Knight.

3. For Your Eyes Only - Sheena Easton.

The latest 3 songs are unbelievably dreary, utter dirge.

I saw No Time to Die on Sunday. I loved Bond as a kid but while I still enjoy them I am far from an obsessive (and haven't seen them all).

My view on it is perfectly entertaining but basically a Mission:Impossible film - with a good splash of Marvel - with British accents.

My main issue is what they have done with Bond's character.

In this one, Bond asks a very attractive woman to look away as he gets changed and instantly rejects the prospect of a shag instead of keeping up the British end. For shame!

Call me an old fart but softening Bond's hard edges sort of ruins him. Bond as team player in a sort of ‘MI6 Avengers’, a romantic monogamist and even - gosh! - a father is a long way from the original conception.

Just as well Daniel Craig has retired or the next one might've seen him doing the dishes in marigolds while wifey is at work.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If you like Studio Ghibli films, the first seven physical animations in this playlist will probably be right up your street. If not, happy nightmares about the Catbus!

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Seen the new Bond and the new Venom films in the past fortnight. I was significantly happier with the latter.

The Craig era is far more true to the books I feel. Which would be fine if the books weren't terrible... They also suffer from the obsession with back story and retrospective interlinking that plagues a lot of modern cinema. Skyfall was a fantastic movie, genuinely one of my favourites, but in the next movie they were intent on making Da Silva a part of Spectre. Then the baddy in NTTD is lacklustre at best and is a poor imitation of a villain archetype they have done in the previous 2 films.

I definitely think the next Bond will be a left field, possibly unheard of choice, and they will go back to a more Roger Moore-esque lighter hearted approach. Craig always seemed to be so close to breaking out of the dour, Bourne-esque style scripts he had.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Seen the new Bond and the new Venom films in the past fortnight. I was significantly happier with the latter.

The Craig era is far more true to the books I feel. Which would be fine if the books weren't terrible... They also suffer from the obsession with back story and retrospective interlinking that plagues a lot of modern cinema. Skyfall was a fantastic movie, genuinely one of my favourites, but in the next movie they were intent on making Da Silva a part of Spectre. Then the baddy in NTTD is lacklustre at best and is a poor imitation of a villain archetype they have done in the previous 2 films.

I definitely think the next Bond will be a left field, possibly unheard of choice, and they will go back to a more Roger Moore-esque lighter hearted approach. Craig always seemed to be so close to breaking out of the dour, Bourne-esque style scripts he had.

Highlighted two points there. 

Trying to make Silva part of Spectre is one of the worst things ever attempted in Bond, that one little mistake completely ruined the Craig era, tbh trying to link all the Craig films was a bad mistake to start with, along with the abandonment of the Quantum idea in favour of unnecessarily bringing back Spectre, no need to do that, Quantum was developing fine. And making Blofeld Bond's brother? Oh no! Absolute blasphemy that was to a hardcore Bond fan..! 

Your last paragraph there is pretty much the opinion of most of us obsessives and quite frankly I hope to God they do go back down the root of standalone, simple films. A megalomaniac wants to take over the world, Bond walks into M's office, gets an assignment to stop the nutter, goes to an exotic location, meets a halfwit but attractive woman, investigates the nutcase, stops the nutcase, credits roll. Let's stop all this experimenting that just has not worked and start making some traditional Bond films again! 

On 20/10/2021 at 14:42, my missus said:

i watched Dune the other day and thought this version was very good also surprised to find there is a part two.

There actually isn't a Part 2...yet. It's been written to be 2 parts, but Part 2 hasn't been greenlit and solely depends on the performance of the first one, which isn't agiven right now because it's getting a simultaneous home release on HBO Max in the US which will suck up quite a bit of box office revenue.

17 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

The Craig era is far more true to the books I feel. Which would be fine if the books weren't terrible... 

There is truth in your words

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Your last paragraph there is pretty much the opinion of most of us obsessives and quite frankly I hope to God they do go back down the root of standalone, simple films. A megalomaniac wants to take over the world, Bond walks into M's office, gets an assignment to stop the nutter, goes to an exotic location, meets a halfwit but attractive woman, investigates the nutcase, stops the nutcase, credits roll. Let's stop all this experimenting that just has not worked and start making some traditional Bond films again! 

One thing I'll say on that without getting into the quality of the films - the Craig films have made the most money accounted for inflation since Connery. Craig has rejuvinated the franchise with the highest grossing film of the entire franchise with only quantum of Solace sitting outside the top 10. Brosnan's films before him performed woefully (Brosnans best performing film, Die Another Day, sits at 13th highest gross) so in that respect, the Craig Bond films and what they do are a complete success and might form the template going forward - interlinked series of films.

Alternatively the Craig films could be a proverbial palate cleanser that allows them to go back to stand alone films. I think you can say for certain that the days of Bond bedding everybody he can are probably behind us. The world has changed to much.

Dune (2021)

Yes, of course it's too long! This is the 21st Century, after all, and if you want those sweet sweet shiny awards, you need length as much as quality. Lots of brooding, thousand-yard stares to pad out the running time, like everything else these days. Likewise the desaturated colour palette; another guide to illustrious judging panels that this is a Terribly Serious Movie.

However, this really is pretty damn good. The score and the general sound design really works with this movie. The mixture of physical and digital effects, of course, blows previous adaptations out of the water.

I am now imagining a time-travelling ideal cast, from this and David Lynch's version.

• Leto: Jurgen Prochnow - Oscar Isaac is just too young for the part.
  • Jessica - a tie, both are excellent.
  • Paul - close, but Chalumet edges it.
  • Duncan Idaho - always Richard Jordan, even though Jason Momoa does a good job.
  • Gurney Halleck - anyone but Patrick Stewart! As wrong a casting as you could imagine, despite his talent. However, Josh Brolin does reminds me of Rhod Gilbert.
  • Reverend Mother Mohiam - both magnificently cold and calculating.
  • Thufir Hawat - Stephen Henderson.
  • The Baron - Stellan Skarsgard, by a mile.
  • Rabban - a tie, again. Two magnificent brutes who love their job.
  • Dr Kynes - Max von Sydow makes this an unfair contest.
  • Stilgar - again, too close to call.
  • Chani - I'm scared Sean Young will hunt me down and kill me if I don't choose her.
  • Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 27/10/2021 at 20:19, Futtocks said:

Dune (2021)

Yes, of course it's too long! This is the 21st Century, after all, and if you want those sweet sweet shiny awards, you need length as much as quality. Lots of brooding, thousand-yard stares to pad out the running time, like everything else these days. Likewise the desaturated colour palette; another guide to illustrious judging panels that this is a Terribly Serious Movie.

However, this really is pretty damn good. The score and the general sound design really works with this movie. The mixture of physical and digital effects, of course, blows previous adaptations out of the water.

I am now imagining a time-travelling ideal cast, from this and David Lynch's version.

• Leto: Jurgen Prochnow - Oscar Isaac is just too young for the part.
  • Jessica - a tie, both are excellent.
  • Paul - close, but Chalumet edges it.
  • Duncan Idaho - always Richard Jordan, even though Jason Momoa does a good job.
  • Gurney Halleck - anyone but Patrick Stewart! As wrong a casting as you could imagine, despite his talent. However, Josh Brolin does reminds me of Rhod Gilbert.
  • Reverend Mother Mohiam - both magnificently cold and calculating.
  • Thufir Hawat - Stephen Henderson.
  • The Baron - Stellan Skarsgard, by a mile.
  • Rabban - a tie, again. Two magnificent brutes who love their job.
  • Dr Kynes - Max von Sydow makes this an unfair contest.
  • Stilgar - again, too close to call.
  • Chani - I'm scared Sean Young will hunt me down and kill me if I don't choose her.

I have to disagree, it was dull, confused, tedious and boring. It's like Avatar in that the praise is all about how good it looked not how good the story was.

There was not a single character with any redeeming features, from spoilt rich kid Timothe Shalamay to the old woman in a veil who may be a witch or something.

For a supposed Hard SciFi story there was a stupid amount of magic involved and stupid plot points like humanity has reached a point where it can travel through interstellar space but chooses to go to war with knives and swords, the story is given an attempted solemnity by ludicrous sounding organisations like the Guild of Space Monkeys and House of Fraser making war on the House of Fun or whatever they were called with the connivance of the Imperium. 

It had so many plot holes in it you could drive a sand worm through it.

All in all nearly three hours of my life I'm never going to get back.

1 hour ago, Shadow said:

I have to disagree, it was dull, confused, tedious and boring. It's like Avatar in that the praise is all about how good it looked not how good the story was.

There was not a single character with any redeeming features, from spoilt rich kid Timothe Shalamay to the old woman in a veil who may be a witch or something.

For a supposed Hard SciFi story there was a stupid amount of magic involved and stupid plot points like humanity has reached a point where it can travel through interstellar space but chooses to go to war with knives and swords, the story is given an attempted solemnity by ludicrous sounding organisations like the Guild of Space Monkeys and House of Fraser making war on the House of Fun or whatever they were called with the connivance of the Imperium. 

I was looking forward to going to the pictures this week until I read that, my worry is that after reading the book (which is fantastic) I'm going to be disappointed 

On 30/10/2021 at 23:30, voteronniegibbs said:

The Forgotten Battle (Netflix)

A very good WW11 film based on the battle for the Scheldt, a Dutch production with subtitles from the Dutch & German.

The plot is strong, links a story from both a soldiers and a civilains perspective, with non of the faux hollywood glory.

I enjoyed it. easy watching.

• Like 1

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

On 30/10/2021 at 22:12, Shadow said:

I mean, that's Dune. If you think Paul is irredeemable now, I'd definitely stop watching now.

As for the thing about bullets - did you miss the entire thing about the shields? Bullets and projectiles are entirely useless.

11 minutes ago, andyscoot said:

I mean, that's Dune. If you think Paul is irredeemable now, I'd definitely stop watching now.

As for the thing about bullets - did you miss the entire thing about the shields? Bullets and projectiles are entirely useless.

I think that decision has already been made. 

Bullets and projectiles are useless apart from the little stabby dart type of projectile that got the big beardy bloke, Paul's dad? 

I may have been asleep for that bit. 

2 hours ago, Shadow said:

I think that decision has already been made. 

Bullets and projectiles are useless apart from the little stabby dart type of projectile that got the big beardy bloke, Paul's dad? 

I may have been asleep for that bit. 

Well I don't want to spoil anything and I don't think we'll get this far in the films but his character becomes responsible for some real bad stuff. He's a very flawed character and theres a lot more nuance than you might be expecting.

As for the dart, it's established the shield blocks fast moving objects, hence using swords in the first place.

Dune is not known for it's story but it's world building, similar to Tolkien's writing. It's definitely not for everyone, and I consider it a small miracle in screenwriting that the film is as coherent as it is considering the density of the books. You only have to look at the David Lynch version to see what it could have been. Can't win em all, eh?

1 hour ago, andyscoot said:

Well I don't want to spoil anything and I don't think we'll get this far in the films but his character becomes responsible for some real bad stuff. He's a very flawed character and theres a lot more nuance than you might be expecting.

As for the dart, it's established the shield blocks fast moving objects, hence using swords in the first place.

Dune is not known for it's story but it's world building, similar to Tolkien's writing. It's definitely not for everyone, and I consider it a small miracle in screenwriting that the film is as coherent as it is considering the density of the books. You only have to look at the David Lynch version to see what it could have been. Can't win em all, eh?

I didn't like Lord of the Rings either. Or Game of Thrones.