Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Number 10 on the list, it's a 12 Cert, seen it once, it is emotional.

What Bleep said; it hits pretty hard.

'Kiki', on the other hand, is charming.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 2/25/2019 at 4:17 PM, John Drake said:

Enjoyed seeing Bohemian Rhapsody win more Oscars than any other film at this year's awards, despite being roundly trashed by the critics. :biggrin:

But only one of those was in what you might consider an "artistic" category. IE - it won for sound mixing/editing and just general editing. I'm with them, I didn't think it was anything more than average with a tremendous lead performance very much in the mold of Darkest Hour last year.

Of course it's subjective and if people like it that great; I wish I could like every film I see, but what people don't realise is your average cinema goer might see...30 films a year? Critics see that many films in a month so their perspective and the average viewer's is significantly different and so judge things on completely different standards. Wether this should affect things but many people don't like Bryan Singer for the allegations made against him and so will slam anything he does ala Woody Allen.

This years Oscars was also a massive curve ball. Hardly any of the favourites (no pun intended) actually walked away with the prizes and no film was a clear winner. The big 5 (Picture, Actor, Actress, Director, Screenplay) were shared across 4 films with Green Room being the only film that walked away with more than one of the 5.

1 hour ago, andyscoot said:

But only one of those was in what you might consider an "artistic" category. IE - it won for sound mixing/editing and just general editing. I'm with them, I didn't think it was anything more than average with a tremendous lead performance very much in the mold of Darkest Hour last year.

Of course it's subjective and if people like it that great; I wish I could like every film I see, but what people don't realise is your average cinema goer might see...30 films a year? Critics see that many films in a month so their perspective and the average viewer's is significantly different and so judge things on completely different standards. Wether this should affect things but many people don't like Bryan Singer for the allegations made against him and so will slam anything he does ala Woody Allen.

This years Oscars was also a massive curve ball. Hardly any of the favourites (no pun intended) actually walked away with the prizes and no film was a clear winner. The big 5 (Picture, Actor, Actress, Director, Screenplay) were shared across 4 films with Green Room being the only film that walked away with more than one of the 5.

I enjoy reading the opinions of critics, I'm a subscriber to the excellent Empire magazine, have been for many years, but I make my own mind up on having seen a film whether I thought it was any good.

I'd never regard the Oscars as a guide to anything. I've seen some Oscar-laden films that have bored the pants off me.

Some of the snootier critics look down their noses at anything that is deemed 'popular'. I can't be doing with that attitude at all, which is why I was glad BoRap collected a few gongs, just to spite 'em! :biggrin:

On 2/27/2019 at 11:31 AM, John Drake said:

I enjoy reading the opinions of critics, I'm a subscriber to the excellent Empire magazine, have been for many years, but I make my own mind up on having seen a film whether I thought it was any good.

I'd never regard the Oscars as a guide to anything. I've seen some Oscar-laden films that have bored the pants off me.

Some of the snootier critics look down their noses at anything that is deemed 'popular'. I can't be doing with that attitude at all, which is why I was glad BoRap collected a few gongs, just to spite 'em! :biggrin:

I reckon that by Bohemian Rhapsody failing to win any on it's artistic merit and only technical probably validated those "snooty" critics who felt it wasn't a very good film.

I do feel the need to defend critics even though I read no reviews whatsoever. I don't think it's true that popular films get trashed just because they are popular by 99% of genuine critics. 

Take each $1 billion+ movie of last year and look at their critical consensus on Rotten Tomatoes;

Avengers - 85% based on 418 reviews, Black Panther - 97& based on 457 reviews, Jurassic World - 48% based on 383 reviews, Incredibles 2 - 94% based on 339 reviews. That's 3 films of the 4 highest grossing films of 2018 which had more than 80% positive reviews. Quite clearly the average critic doesn't care about the popularity of the film, just wether it's good or not. In the case of Bohemian Rhapsody, it's a middle of the road, afraid to be daring film about the life of a band and frontman that were anything but. 

Sorry for the rant, it's just something I'm very passionate about

The 'official' reviewers recently seem to have had some big misses recently, while I know I'm about to mention a couple of tv shows they are great examples of where they're opinion has massively diverged from public opinion. The Orville, for example, last year got absolutely trounced by the official reviewers but was loved by the public, and conversely Star Trek Discovery was hailed by reviewers but has generally been panned by the viewing public.

41 minutes ago, andyscoot said:

Quite clearly the average critic doesn't care about the popularity of the film, just wether it's good or not.

What's 'good' is just a matter of opinion.

I think a lot of critics wanted BoRap to be a completely different film from the one it was always going to be given the close involvement of Mercury's surviving bandmates, and judged it accordingly.

It disappointed them.

It didn't disappoint me.

Quite the opposite. I saw it three times. :biggrin:

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

What's 'good' is just a matter of opinion.

I think a lot of critics wanted BoRap to be a completely different film from the one it was always going to be given the close involvement of Mercury's surviving bandmates, and judged it accordingly.

It disappointed them.

It didn't disappoint me.

Quite the opposite. I saw it three times. :biggrin:

I agree, what's good is a matter of opinion, hence some popular films being lauded by critics and some popular films being planned. Not that BR was panned on the whole.l but you get my point.

I can only speak for me having not read any reviews but it was like an episode of Bullseye - let's have a look at what you could have won. Completely missed potential in favour of the 12a/pg13 it didn't actually need.

Glad you liked it though. Every film I don't like is one I wish I could.

Edited by andyscoot
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I went to see a film called 'The Aftermath' the other day, starring Keira Knightley as an army wife who goes to stay with her hubby in Hamburg at the end of WWII and ends up having an affair with the German bloke whose house they are staying in.

I'd seen the trailer a few times beforehand and thought it looked quite interesting.

Having now seen the film, I'd say they put all the best bits in the trailer.

I found it quite dull and unconvincing.

Hamburg was shown as having been devastated by bombing, yet the film is mostly set in a big posh house where the impact of the war seemed to have passed everyone by. It was more like an overlong episode of Downton Abbey.

45 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Anyone seen Captain Marvel yet?

Might give that a whirl tonight.

Yes, 

I really enjoyed it. It fills in a lot of back story for Fury and puts a new slant on an Origins story 

Edited by Shadow
Keeping it vague to avoid spoilers.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

From what I've read and heard, it is a good film, and an even better central performance.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

I liked it. It's not deserving of all the "empowering to women" hype or the "SJWs are destroying Marvel" hatred. I watched a film and I enjoyed it. 

• Like 1
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

I saw "Fighting with my family" last night. Quite formulaic but is saved by a solid and occasionally funny script by Stephen Merchant.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

23 hours ago, tim2 said:

I saw "Fighting with my family" last night. Quite formulaic but is saved by a solid and occasionally funny script by Stephen Merchant.

& its a true story.

Marchant was hilarious on C4's Last Leg the other week

6 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

& its a true story.

Marchant was hilarious on C4's Last Leg the other week

Close enough - surprisingly close given that you can very rarely match the story exactly and get dramatic tension.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

I don't know if it's more of a reflection of my mental state over the last few years but Game of Thrones with me has always been a bit 'M'eh'.  Don't get me wrong, it's alright to pass the time better than a lot of other US shows, but always struck me as a Whose Line Is It Anyway skit where Tolkein had to write a Coronation Street season.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got round to seeing Captain Marvel last week. 

Very good, I thought, once it got going. I didn't know any of the backstory to this character at all, so the first 20 minutes or so were a bit baffling, but it all made sense by the end and I enjoyed the goodies/baddies twist. And yes, I sat through all the credits for the Avengers: Endgame trailer. I always feel a bit shifty waiting for these end credit things, even though most of the audience these days knows to sit tight at a Marvel film, it feels weird when the cinema staff are waiting by the doors with binbags to pick the rubbish up, watching how many saddoes stay behind! ?