John Drake

Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

One that i missed 40 years ago,  National Lampoon's Animal House. with a young kevin bacon,john belushi.tom hulce.and donald sutherland,

some great 50s cars, and one hell of a party.    fury next on list for morning.

image.png.a6fa1a562abf1138b92c0f6a6bad12e1.png

There was a moment when very young I thought Walter Pigeon was in every film ever!

Freaked (1993)
Randy Quaid (wait, come back! he's good in this!) plays the owner of a freak show. Alex Winter (Bill & Ted) plays a washed out actor looking for a quick buck.

Alex's character is offered serious money to be the face of a toxic chemical that is banned in the USA and Europe. He's desperate, so he agrees.

On a PR tour, he meets Julie, an environmental campaigner and, despite their differences, they end up in the same car with Alex's dopey friend. Spotting the freak show, they go to have a look, and Quaid captures them.

He uses (surprise!) the toxic chemical to turn Julie and idiot pal into a conjoined body. Alex is turned into Beast Boy. They meet the other freaks, including Mr T as the bearded lady, Bobcat Goldthwaite as sock-head and an uncredited Keanu Reeves as the dog-boy. Together they plot escape and revenge. All the time, they are aided and annoyed in equal amounts by an obsessive little fan-kid.

This has the same manic and chaotic energy as 'Nothing but Trouble', but a more coherent plot. Some of the effects are silly, squishy, gross and imaginative, and Brooke Shields puts in a good turn as the movie's book-ending chat show host.

I wasn't surprised to see the Chiodo brothers credited as part of the production, as some of the humour and visual style is reminiscent of the excellent 'Killer Klowns from Outer Space'.

Definitely worth a watch, if you can track down a copy.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

image.png.7f161eed13b3b57f807a9d9c588708a2.png    Harmless, interesting passed a moment, enjoyed it.

• Like 2

Not everyones cup a tea i suppose, but, Brassed Off were brill, proper filming and when you think 140 pits closed and over a 250.000 jobs went its a very powerfull and emotional film.?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, silverback said:

Not everyones cup a tea i suppose, but, Brassed Off were brill, proper filming and when you think 140 pits closed and over a 250.000 jobs went its a very powerfull and emotional film.?

Gets a little mawkish at times, but also hits hard at others. Great cast.

• Like 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

55 minutes ago, silverback said:

Not everyones cup a tea i suppose, but, Brassed Off were brill, proper filming and when you think 140 pits closed and over a 250.000 jobs went its a very powerfull and emotional film.

One of my favourite ever films! Pete Postlethwaite was/is a remarkable actor. Just compare Obidiah Hakeswill with his performance as "Danny" in "Brassed Off"! Also helps that I'm rather partial to brass band tunes!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trevorkfevfan said:

One of my favourite ever films! Pete Postlethwaite was/is a remarkable actor. Just compare Obidiah Hakeswill with his performance as "Danny" in "Brassed Off"! Also helps that I'm rather partial to brass band tunes!!

Always reminds me of the bands we had up park in westown,then they would all march to center of dewsbury when i were a nipper.The sounds just take me back to 1965.got to admit to been very fond of bag pipes too.?

7 hours ago, silverback said:

Always reminds me of the bands we had up park in westown,then they would all march to center of dewsbury when i were a nipper.The sounds just take me back to 1965.got to admit to been very fond of bag pipes too.

Used to be Whit Monday for me at my Grans. All the local churches had their own bands and each one would march through the village. This was in Gollcar and I loved it!

• Like 1

Really enjoyed the Star Trek film last night. I am a Trekkie. Unashamedly. If my 11 year old Daughter had been a boy, 3rd name would've been Tiberious

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

9 hours ago, Trevorkfevfan said:

Used to be Whit Monday for me at my Grans. All the local churches had their own bands and each one would march through the village. This was in Gollcar and I loved it!

I was doing a bit of reminisking viewing and the Whit Walks were shown on a nostalgia thing on Youtube.

The Porridge movie was on yesterday - the one with the escape that happened while there was a football match in the prison. Still funny. My favourite joke "They say he had a trial for Brentford, shortly before he had a trial for shoplifting"

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

9 minutes ago, tim2 said:

The Porridge movie was on yesterday - the one with the escape that happened while there was a football match in the prison. Still funny. My favourite joke "They say he had a trial for Brentford, shortly before he had a trial for shoplifting"

Few, if any, sitcoms of the time had decent movie spin-offs, but that's an exception.

watched "misery" for the first time in ages at the weekend, to be fair anyone who tries to make a journey like that , in that sort of terrain in heavy snow and blizzard conditions while driving a rear wheel drive ford mustang deserves all they get.

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

22 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

watched "misery" for the first time in ages at the weekend, to be fair anyone who tries to make a journey like that , in that sort of terrain in heavy snow and blizzard conditions while driving a rear wheel drive ford mustang deserves all they get.

Kathy Bates... ouch.. thanks for the painful reminder..

Tuesday the 21st of April, The Horror Channel at 9pm: Tremors (1989).

If you haven't seen it before, give yourself a treat. If you have seen it before, you'll probably be watching anyway.

• Like 3

Forgot just how good Deerhunter is, Also just caugh adam fogarty in .. LEGEND.

11 minutes ago, silverback said:

Forgot just how good Deerhunter is, Also just caugh adam fogarty in .. LEGEND.

The trouble I have with The Deerhunter is thinking about how much better it could have been if Michael Cimino had been ordered to employ an editor. And maybe a minder to keep some distance between Michael and Charlie <sniff>.

For every unforgettable scene, there's a horribly flabby and self-indulgent passage that either bloats the movie in a way that should have pre-warned the studio about Heaven's Gate or indulges the absolute worst excesses of "look at me!!!" style Method Acting.

On 19/04/2020 at 15:09, tim2 said:

Reminds me of a quote from Father Ted (greatest show ever BTW). 

Dougal: "Didn't you tell me once that Father Jack had a trial for Liverpool?" 

Ted: "No, I said he was on trial in Liverpool". 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

No-one acts rationally in horror films. If they did, we wouldn't have them.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Try >>  No country for old men,      javier bardom at his best.tommy lee and woody harrelson star too.       Hurt locker for this aft.:kolobok_popcorm1:

• Like 1

Intend a 70's night tonight. Escape from New York, followed by Assault on Precinct 13.

• Like 1

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.