Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

Watched a few films this week

Athlete a, a documentary on the us gymnastics abuse scandal, very good but horrifying what went on, truly shocking

Equalizer 2, denzel Washington  film a good  solid watchable action film

Training day, another Denzel film very good

12 years a slave, brilliant film. 

I watched Ad Astra on Saturday night. 

Although it had great visuals, I thought it was really dull and the ending was a huge anti-climax.

Added to that, it was hard to tell what was going on as the characters played by Donald Sutherland and Brad Pitt mumbled most of their lines so badly I was tempted to put subtitles on.

On 19/07/2020 at 13:18, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Had a hitchcock day yesterday, North by North West and Vertigo. Brilliant films, brilliant director. 

Thanks to this post, I also re-watched North by North-West. Pure class.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Spanish short film 'La Cabina', in a print that is a noticeable upgrade over the version I had before. If you haven't seen it before, it is well worth just over half an hour of your time.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Congress (2013)

This is an oddity. Robin Wright plays a version of herself, as an actress whose career is stalling. She is offered the chance to be scanned in 3D and for her image to become a movie star who never ages. The caveat in the contract is that she can never perform again. She eventually agrees, so she can look after her son, whose sight and hearing are failing.
Years later, she agrees to attend a congress. The difference here is that nobody can attend as themselves, but have to take a drug that allows them to appear as cartoon avatars/hallucinations. This is the point when things get a little odd.

There are points being made about medicating away troublesome reality, the commodification of talent, and it is very loosely based on a story by Stanislaw 'Solaris' Lem.
While there is solid support from Harvey Keitel, Jon Hamm and Paul Giamatti, this is definitely centred on Robin Wright, whose performance is spot on.
However, the film doesn't quite work for me all the time. Sometimes the style overcomes the substance, and quite a few minutes could be trimmed from the running time without losing much.
Still, an interesting and inventive notion, with many scenes that do hit the spot.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Jake’s Progress,1995

Another Alan Bleasdale gem with Robert Lindsay and Julie Walters. Series may still be available on All4, but I saw it on dvd. Some cracking dialogue and music with score by Elvis Costello and Richard Harvey.  The ending will hit you. The dvd has the original beginning, sadly dropped, which features Lyndsay and Walters singing at a local club with background shots of the defunct mine and an interview with Bleasdale. 
Now for GBH again.  Sadly missing such class drama, writing and acting.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjr3MWNkvXqAhVPSEEAHQGvAX8QFjAJegQIBRAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.imdb.com%2Ftitle%2Ftt0112024%2F&usg=AOvVaw3zm0Bj-Ep4UgfLZka31_CL

15 hours ago, glemiln said:

Jake’s Progress,1995

Another Alan Bleasdale gem with Robert Lindsay and Julie Walters. Series may still be available on All4, but I saw it on dvd. Some cracking dialogue and music with score by Elvis Costello and Richard Harvey.  The ending will hit you. The dvd has the original beginning, sadly dropped, which features Lyndsay and Walters singing at a local club with background shots of the defunct mine and an interview with Bleasdale. 
Now for GBH again.  Sadly missing such class drama, writing and acting.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjr3MWNkvXqAhVPSEEAHQGvAX8QFjAJegQIBRAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.imdb.com%2Ftitle%2Ftt0112024%2F&usg=AOvVaw3zm0Bj-Ep4UgfLZka31_CL

Yup. It's on All4.

https://www.justwatch.com/uk/tv-series/jakes-progress

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Red Willow said:

Just watched Split, what a performance from McAvoy. Not what I expected. I did enjoy it though

Must say, I do like James McAvoy, not ever seen him in much but what I have seen he's been excellent. I watched The Last King of Scotland recently and he is really good in that. Forrest Whitacker is also absolutely brilliant. 

The REVANANT. brill,seen it before but could follow it as i were on a plane to chicago.10 outa 10.

A frontiersman on a fur trading expedition in the 1820s fights for survival after being mauled by a bear and left for dead by members of his own hunting team.

Writers:

Mark L. Smith (screenplay), Alejandro G. Iñárritu (screenplay) | 1 more credit »

36 minutes ago, silverback said:

The REVANANT. brill,seen it before but could follow it as i were on a plane to chicago.10 outa 10.

A frontiersman on a fur trading expedition in the 1820s fights for survival after being mauled by a bear and left for dead by members of his own hunting team.

Writers:

Mark L. Smith (screenplay), Alejandro G. Iñárritu (screenplay) | 1 more credit »

Saw it in the cinema, it was relentlessly brutal.

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On 09/08/2020 at 19:14, Red Willow said:

Just watched Split, what a performance from McAvoy. Not what I expected. I did enjoy it though

Split is part of a trilogy so if you haven’t seen them probably worth watching the other two films. 

Brooklyn Rules (2007) on Amazon Prime.....

written by Terence Winter- he of Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire; starring Freddie Prinze Junior.  Set in Brooklyn, 1985, the mob world as a backdrop, three life-long friends struggle with questions of love, loss and loyalty.  A great soundtrack. 
Certainly a film that didn’t get a wide showing looking at the box office receipts, but worth a look.

Midway (2019)

Accurate depiction of a key naval air battle during WW2 in the Pacific that turned the balance of power decisively against the Japanese.

Good use of CGI, the perspective of both sides shown and it moves along at a fair pace.  It’s not littered with amazing performances but it does the job.

Thankfully the writers decided against the ridiculous characterisations and subplots which plagued the awful Pearl Harbour film which was the previous modern take on the subject.

7.5/10

Coherence.

Coherence is an American surreal psychological science fiction thriller film directed by James Ward Byrkit in his directorial debut.[3] The film had its world debut on September 19, 2013 at the Austin Fantastic Fest and stars Emily Baldoni as a woman who must deal with strange occurrences following the close passing of a comet.[4]

It's on Amazon Prime but you might find it elsewhere

Watched 3 films yesterday bit of a mixed bag

the judge with Robert Duvall and Downey jr good in parts but drawn out and predictable.

Identity, john Cusack and ray liotta. A horror film, not a massive fan of the genre really but it was ok.

Checked out brooklyn rules what was recommended above, the best of the three we watched.  I'd not heard of it before, but certainly decent