Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

4 hours ago, Red Willow said:

sat through 4 hours of Justice League. Overlong, over blown. 

It was rubbish the first time round, what made you think it being two hours longer would make it better?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000hqt9

Love & Mercy

Focuses on songwriter Brian Wilson’s creativity in leading the Beach Boys during the 1960’s and his struggles with mental illness. The latter not helped by a manipulative doctor played ‘enthusiastically’ by Paul Giamatti.  The film cuts between the 1960’s and the 1980’s, with Paul Dano and John Cusack playing, respectively, Wilson during those periods. Cusack, lucky sod, supported by the lovely Elizabeth Banks. The studio music sessions are very good and there is a bonus music feature during the credits.  Highly recommended. Only 25 days to watch on BBCIPlayer.

11 hours ago, Shadow said:

It was rubbish the first time round, what made you think it being two hours longer would make it better?

I didn't watch it first time round and didn't know it was as long as it was.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Red Willow said:

sat through 4 hours of Justice League. Overlong, over blown. 

The general view I've got from various critics is that it is better than the original cinematic release (which isn't saying much). I also heard that it is clearly divided into several sections, so you could treat it as a mini-series by taking a break at the end of each one.

• Like 1

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Think it was divided into 6 parts. I don't think you would lose much watching in parts.

I felt it was self indulgent but husband enjoyed it. I think Marvel have a more polished product and many of the characters looked like Marvel ones.

Oh and just no to Jeremy Irons as Alfred.

On 24/03/2021 at 13:56, ivans82 said:

Watched 3 billboards outside ebbing missouri again the other day ... excellent....film4 have the shape of water on this week will watch that again too .

Shape of Water was good viewing , classic old tunes aswell.

On 25/03/2021 at 18:50, Red Willow said:

Think it was divided into 6 parts. I don't think you would lose much watching in parts.

I felt it was self indulgent but husband enjoyed it. I think Marvel have a more polished product and many of the characters looked like Marvel ones.

Oh and just no to Jeremy Irons as Alfred.

i enjoyed it more than the first attempt which i thought was ok, i watched it over two nights and thought the six part thing was a great idea.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time

4 hour cut of Justice League is much better - Cyborg and Flash actually have characters and the main villain is more than just a generic bit of CGI.

Original cut was meh of the highest order, the 4 hour version is good.

Last night i watched They Live - cracking bit of 80s cinema.  Very subtle politics  🙂 

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Six Minutes to Midnight (2021)

British thriller set on the eve of World War 2.

Reminded me too much of television instead of cinema and it’s a bit patchy in places.

Not bad.

6/10

I really enjoyed the performances by Eddie Izzard and Celyn Jones and could see those characters in a TV series. However, it did not really hang together and I wonder if it was over-edited as it was not as suspenseful as it could have been

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rawschach said:

4 hour cut of Justice League is much better - Cyborg and Flash actually have characters and the main villain is more than just a generic bit of CGI.

Original cut was meh of the highest order, the 4 hour version is good.

Last night i watched They Live - cracking bit of 80s cinema.  Very subtle politics  🙂 

For the Justice League movie, every time you take a break between sections, play this.

• Like 1

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

As for 'They Live', that's a proper B-movie in the best sense of the term. Not sure I'd call it subtle, but great subversive fun.

32 minutes ago, metallithrax said:

Also watched "They Live" yesterday.  Followed by "2012" and today, "The Day After Tomorrow", "It Came from Beneath the Sea", "this Isalnd Earth" and now "Earth vs The Flying Saucers".

I haven't seen "2012" for a long time, and was dubious about the book and the film from the start. Good cast, though, so I might have to give it another chance.

I like "This Island Earth", though. You know, you can even buy a toy Metaluna Mutant. Google the prices on your DIY Interocitor!

711-Wr7WnCL._AC_SX522_.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

There's one hell of a lot of F@nny in this film.

Edited by Futtocks

Mrs Shadow & I watched Palm Springs last night, quite a fun take on the Groundhog Day scenario. Worth the investment of two hours of your life.

Thunder Force however.... isn't. 

• Like 1

I admit I've been completely disappointed recently with the films I've watched. I can't quite make up my mind which kind of remake I hate the most: the one where they re-do a classic or the one where they ressurect a shouldn't have been made in the first place.

I've been trying to recall the name of this film for ages, but a random Tweet led me to the unfinished animation The Thief and the Cobbler.
Part 1 of 7 here, and the other parts are on the same Youtube account: https://youtu.be/yZibUpH-AME
Remarkable artwork.

I showed my 12 year old Akira Kurowsaki's "Seven Samurai" at the weekend, and went off half way through it to do our fish curry, she was very quiet, and I thought she had fallen asleep, but when I returned to the living room, she said to me, "Touch the TV and you are dead". She sat through the entire film in one sitting.

• Like 1