Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

On 11/29/2018 at 6:36 PM, Futtocks said:

Roger Corman always said that there wasn't a single movie, however good, that couldn't be improved by having 20-30 minutes expertly trimmed from the running order.

In some cases (Michael Cimino, I'm looking at you!), an hour or more could be cropped to good effect.

I'm sure it's apocryphal but the story goes that Barry Sonnenfeld was offered the chance to do a director's cut of Men in Black for a DVD release and he came back with a version that was shorter than the cinema release.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Roger Corman always said that there wasn't a single movie, however good, that couldn't be improved by having 20-30 minutes expertly trimmed from the running order.

In some cases (Michael Cimino, I'm looking at you!), an hour or more could be cropped to good effect.

I strongly disagree about Cimino, both The Deer Hunter and Heaven's Gate are better off for their long starts even though it may not seem it at the time. Neither film would be as impacting if you didn't spend 45 minutes just watching them all interact with one another but at the same time I can see why people feel they should be cut.

Most films benefit by being shorter - leave them wanting more, as the saying goes but some films absolutely warrant their run time. Probably the best edited film of all time in my opinion is Lawrence Of Arabia. I wouldn't cut a single minute of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, andyscoot said:

I strongly disagree about Cimino, both The Deer Hunter and Heaven's Gate are better off for their long starts even though it may not seem it at the time. Neither film would be as impacting if you didn't spend 45 minutes just watching them all interact with one another but at the same time I can see why people feel they should be cut.

Most films benefit by being shorter - leave them wanting more, as the saying goes but some films absolutely warrant their run time. Probably the best edited film of all time in my opinion is Lawrence Of Arabia. I wouldn't cut a single minute of it.

I can't agree on Cimino as regards 'The Deer Hunter'*, but that's what discussion forums are. I found the pre-Vietnam scenes very self-indulgent and flabby. I wasn't even convinced by the acting in many scenes, as it seemed like a contest to see which actor could out-'method' his peers.

He co-wrote 'Silent Running' which is a slow film that works with that sort of pacing, but that was before he was given carte blanche and told he was an untouchable genius.

*I haven't seen 'Heaven's Gate' for too long to comment accurately on what I didn't like about it.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

29 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I can't agree on Cimino as regards 'The Deer Hunter'*, but that's what discussion forums are. I found the pre-Vietnam scenes very self-indulgent and flabby. I wasn't even convinced by the acting in many scenes, as it seemed like a contest to see which actor could out-'method' his peers.

He co-wrote 'Silent Running' which is a slow film that works with that sort of pacing, but that was before he was given carte blanche and told he was an untouchable genius.

*I haven't seen 'Heaven's Gate' for too long to comment accurately on what I didn't like about it.

The first time I saw The Deer Hunter I was in agreement with you. The wedding (and a few other) scenes took up almost a 3rd of a film which is around the 3 hour mark and it seemed unnecessary but I got why it was important as the film went on. Same for Heaven's Gate with a similarly long sequence at Harvard but they set the foundation for the character interactions afterwards. As you say, each to their own. I understand that viewpoint because I had it myself on my first watch of both.

Heaven's Gate is a funny one; practically bankrupted United Artists singlehandedly, massive flop, considered one of the worst films of all time, all based on the studio imposed cut. When people actually saw Cimino's cut it's increased in it's reputation substantially. Been lucky enough to see it on 35mm twice.

The above are nothing on someone like Nuri Bilge Ceylan. I had the displeasure of watching Winter Sleep - it's 198 mins of someone running a hotel over the quiet winter months and as much happens as that description implies. It's indulgence beyond belief and it won the Palme D'or - go figure. 

Edited by andyscoot

To play devils advocate I think trimming 20-30 minutes from Once Upon a Time in America spoilt the last third of the film .

I used to totally agree with your view but I think that I have just grown accustomed to long films. As an exception Sexy Beast was quite short and pithy and probably benefited from that.

cant see me bothering with creed 2- watched creed the other nite, either I am having hearing problems or it should have had sub titles, short tongue American black speak combined with stallones low bass mumbling was hard work to watch

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

52 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

cant see me bothering with creed 2- watched creed the other nite, either I am having hearing problems or it should have had sub titles, short tongue American black speak combined with stallones low bass mumbling was hard work to watch

14ddc062b356122bdc338f9a7bdab4b3.jpg

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Finally got round to watching Three Billboards the other night. I thought it was rather excellent, although a touch sillier than I expected. Some brilliant acting, I could watch Sam Rockwell and Woody Harrelson all day. Francis McDormand was outstanding. Extremely watchable ensemble effort.

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Finally got round to watching Three Billboards the other night. I thought it was rather excellent, although a touch sillier than I expected. Some brilliant acting, I could watch Sam Rockwell and Woody Harrelson all day. Francis McDormand was outstanding. Extremely watchable ensemble effort.

Francis Mcdormand is one of the very best actors in the world . In the very top few . Mississippi Burning is one of my all time fav films , and among unbelievable acting performances across the board she is brillliant . And Fargo as well . Incredible talent 

• Like 1

Spot on, TVs are optimised knowing that the most likely usage is sports, video games and TV shot at 48fps so they have that "trumotion" automatically on which renders anything shot in 24fps looking awful and jerky. Was the first thing I turned off when I got my TV

On 11/1/2018 at 7:37 PM, Stan Doffarf said:

The target audience for Bohemian Rhapsody is fans of the group and their music. This may sound obvious, but it seems to me that a lot of the critics aren't fans, and thus may be expecting something the movie never intended to offer. It's not a warts and all biopic, it's more a Freddie Mercury tribute. Clue: Executive Producers are Brian May and Roger Taylor. They were never going to approve anything which risked trashing their, and Freddie's, reputations.

Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

If you’re a Queen fan who has a good idea of the history of the band and when their music was released I wouldn’t go to see it expecting a true reflection. Lots of things have been altered to fit a story line. As others have said, it’s not a documentary. Far from it but if you just like the music it’s enjoyable enough.

rldfsignature.jpg

1 hour ago, andyscoot said:

Spot on, TVs are optimised knowing that the most likely usage is sports, video games and TV shot at 48fps so they have that "trumotion" automatically on which renders anything shot in 24fps looking awful and jerky. Was the first thing I turned off when I got my TV

I got a new LG recently . Not really touched my settings . You think this should be summat you turn off ?

43 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I got a new LG recently . Not really touched my settings . You think this should be summat you turn off ?

If you don't notice it then I wouldn't bother but films to me are unwatchable with it. Mines an LG and it's called Trumotion under the picture settings. I have 3 settings for films, sports and video games and on the last 2 I have it enabled because I want the highest and smoothest frame rate bit for films I want that motion blur that comes with 24fps.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Whats the best film you have seen this year? It doesn't have to be released (or escaped) this year, it could be a B&W 1930's or a blockbuster 1970's, or it COULD BE a 2018 film, either way, what's been you favourite film this year?

2018 films at the cinema - "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri"

I'm starting to think that some of the best productions now are TV series - Amazon and Netflix are rolling in cash and have generated some very good multi-series dramas. I've just finished watching Narcos: Mexico after watching the Colombian versions.

There is some sh*te on those channels too!

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

14 minutes ago, Copa said:

Psycho.

It’s very well known as a classic but until a few months ago I’d never watched it.

It’s a very good movie and the influence it’s had on generations of horror movies is obvious.

A wonderful piece of film-making, from the direction to the score to the cast.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saw this in January this year. Released in 2016-17. It's probably not the best film I've seen but it's the one I've thought about the most since watching:

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

40 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Saw this in January this year. Released in 2016-17. It's probably not the best film I've seen but it's the one I've thought about the most since watching:

I really enjoyed it too. Outside 'Akira' and Studio Ghibli's output, I haven't watched a whole lot of anime, so I'm no expert on the genre, but this film really hit the spot..

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I enjoyed The Death of Stalin , some very funny scenes . Darkest Hour was eulogised but to me was overrated , watchable but to ‘ Hollywood ‘ . The new Jurassic Park was terrible as was Solo . My go to movies on my iPad are Robin Hood with Errol Flynn ( the best ) , Gladiator , murder on the orient express with Albert Finney , and maybe my all tine fave The Name of the Rose