Are we ambitious enough ?

The King Of Leon

Having seen all our rivals sign/strengthen  their squads recently  - Mariarno  to Donny , Griffin to Keighley, Butler- Fleming to York,  Gill to Oldham,  Hitchcox to Bulls,  Moi Moi to Worky and we lose our Captain for a pittance ive got to ask the question , do we really want to get out of this league and are ambitious enough ! Yes weve had 2 great wins against Oldham and Worky but surely we should be looking at improveing the squad like the others have done ?

flanagan . pittance      ive not seen or heard anything on what we got for him

hunslet till i die

we will never go to watch the #### over the river ever

The thing that always worries me when this happens is whether clubs are overstretching themselves going for promotion; we've seen it so many times before and indeed most clubs on that list have suffered from some sort of financial or administrative mismanagement in recent times. I know there's a salary cap to try and stop it but for some clubs (including ours) I don't know if simply spending up to the salary cap might be pushing it too far. I can't stress enough, I really hope this doesn't happen again to any club.

As far as we are concerned, the squad assembled at the start has more or less performed as I expected - there were players I thought wouldn't be good enough and players who would be great additions and I haven't been too far off the mark. What we can't have predicted is how many have left for one reason or another, or have been injured. To be honest we are exactly where I thought we would be after 6 fixtures, although I had us down to beat Keighley at home but lose at Oldham. Next three games are key, winning at least two of them would keep us in the heart of the promotion battle, which is as much as we can ask for in this league.

Still early days though, and hopefully as the season goes on we will have the ambition and the capacity to strengthen in a few areas if we need to.

Have we got any money to strengthen the squad without putting us in the red that is the question ,  we have brought in some great players this season . The most worrying thing now is the Cain Southerwood's injury . This will disrupt the team as he and Sanderson our half backs get the team moving forward. All teams get injury's it's how you deal with them. Good we have a good coach in Gary Thornton for once who will do the best he can in these situations. Grimmer won't be match fit fit anyway even if he is over his long injury , which I doubt it is a shame as that would solve the problem for Sunday against Newcastle. We had a problem being short on a winger a couple of weeks ago now we don't as Walker has been superb as Gary fixed that problem bringing him into the team on the wing. Do we still have Tyson Wilson what about playing him on Sunday against Newcastle ?

I’m led to believe we will have a fully fit squad for Sunday including Grimmer, Southernwood, Foster, Flynn and Mallinder. I’m not sure at this time we need to go out spending more money? It’s ok saying should we be doing it, but who is there to bring in and what positions do we need to strengthen.

The reality is we are big name but a small club, with a small number of supporters, we need to be realistic in our expectations. This is our level I’m afraid, Neil has said openly until we start to get 1000 bums on seats week in week out, we will never be able to really get to where we all want to be and that ain’t gonna happen anytime soon.

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

6 hours ago, The King Of Leon said:

What about Chappell Gaz ? and has Tyson- Wilson walked ?

Both left the club I’m led to believe 

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

website squad has been reduced down on some players. but chappell and tyson-wilson along with blagbrough need removing if they have now departed the club...

im sure will be done very soon.. all down to time has we know

hunslet till i die

we will never go to watch the #### over the river ever

Archived