Dont forget about Fiji

I'm as happy as anyone and happier then most about the rise of Tonga in the last world cup. Its great they are been talked about to get another game other then the one in mid season even though that's still halfassed and these nations should be getting at least 4 games a year to make them a viable option for a representative career and to create revenue for themselves. It concerns me though that people seem to have completely forgotten about Fiji. 

Fiji like Tonga also beat New Zealand in last years world cup and like Tonga were also knocked out in the semi finals. Fiji like Tonga also have the potential to field an exceptionally strong international team. Check this team out for food for thought. 

1   :  Montoya

2   :  Vunivalu

3   :  Naiqama

4   :  Blake

5   :  Uate

6   :  Hayne

7   :  Sutton

8   :  A Sims

9   :  Koroisau

10 : Campbell-Gillard

11 : K Sims

12 : Kikau

13 : T Sims

14 : Evans

15 : Bukuya

16 : J Saifiti 

17 : D Safiti

For those who don't follow the NRL, I'll let you know that team would be highly competitive against any of the big 3. 

There is some guys there, Campbell-Gillard and Sutton for example that may not be interested, and I'm not saying hold a gun to their heads and make them play, but there is no harm in asking them if they would be interested in helping create a team that would be the strongest Fijian team of all time and probably will be never stronger. Rugby League would only have a couple of years with a team like this and it would be a great tool to spread the game in Fiji by playing members of the big 3 in Fiji in front of a home crowd. The RLIF has stepped in and sorted out the payment issues with the players and administration, hopefully they can sort them out with some games so this opportunity wont be missed. 

It would probably suit to have Fiji here in the UK at present given the expansionists plans supposedly in motion.

Would certainly draw bigger crowds than England v France.

6 hours ago, Abicus said:

Fiji dont have the halves to threaten or trouble England, let alone Australia. 

I don't think that is much of an argument. Both Hayne and Sutton have played in the halves at club level, both are veterans and one is a international player of the year and Dally M winner. England were pushed to the last seconds by Tonga with Lolohea and a mostly reserve grader by the name of Ata Hingano who has currently played 19 NRL games. 

Surely the plan should be to develop the game in Fiji,so they don't have to fill the team with heritage players,I know the community Lions had a great series in Fiji 18 months ago and I think BARLA are planning a tour in the near future.

Hayne would be lucky to get in and Sutton is never ever a half nowadays so unless they find something there that’s a big hole in a strong team behind and in the pack . Taane Milne would be in among it if he didn’t keep messing up . Given the way things go I’m surprised SL hasn’t eyed  him up 

35 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Hayne would be lucky to get in and Sutton is never ever a half nowadays so unless they find something there that’s a big hole in a strong team behind and in the pack . Taane Milne would be in among it if he didn’t keep messing up . Given the way things go I’m surprised SL hasn’t eyed  him up 

Its not ideal I agree. Obviously you would want a halfback and 5/8 that play in those positions now constantly for their clubs at NRL or Super League level. I think those players could both fill the hole give good service feeding their outside backs, Hayne brings a good kicking game, been a larger then usual halves pair would help defensively and both having a large amount of experience would benefit the team as a whole. Best you can do with what you have. I don't think they could be considered a weakness yet as I said not ideal. 

2 minutes ago, B rad said:

Its not ideal I agree. Obviously you would want a halfback and 5/8 that play in those positions now constantly for their clubs at NRL or Super League level. I think those players could both fill the hole give good service feeding their outside backs, Hayne brings a good kicking game, been a larger then usual halves pair would help defensively and both having a large amount of experience would benefit the team as a whole. Best you can do with what you have. I don't think they could be considered a weakness yet as I said not ideal. 

Sure , and it may get you a certain distance , but against the top sides you’d be found out . We know the same ! Get some top quality in those areas and it’s worth its weight in gold and can compensate for deficiencies elsewhere ,as every team is striving for . Aussies are always in the great position of having the conveyer belt to choose from  

17 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Joe Lovodua is coming through where exactly?

He is named in the second row for St George on Saturday in the NSW Cup game against Penrith. This game is apparently being televised on Ch9 so it may be part of that NRL package that is available. (I've never known Ch9 to show any NSW Cup games or to show any Saturday games so I'm surprised at this. Must be new this year.)

16 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

It would be OK to ask but Sutton has never shown any inclination to play fir Fiji. He sat at home when he could have played in two WCs for them.

I heard that John Sutton wanted to play for Fiji in the last World Cup but Souths didn't let him play .

He is in great form this season in a very good Souths team .

I can speak Esperanto like a native.

3 hours ago, Farmduck said:

He is named in the second row for St George on Saturday in the NSW Cup game against Penrith. This game is apparently being televised on Ch9 so it may be part of that NRL package that is available. (I've never known Ch9 to show any NSW Cup games or to show any Saturday games so I'm surprised at this. Must be new this year.)

They have started this year. Can watch 1 NSW cup game or QLD Cup game on free to air depending what state you are in. Plus a couple more of each on foxtel

6 hours ago, Clinton Baptiste said:

I heard that John Sutton wanted to play for Fiji in the last World Cup but Souths didn't let him play .

He is in great form this season in a very good Souths team .

Do you have a link to that? Did Souths prevent any other of their player(s) from representing their nation?

rldfsignature.jpg

4 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Do you have a link to that? Did Souths prevent any other of their player(s) from representing their nation?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/rugby-league-world-cup-scout-billy-slaters-bolt-for-kangaroos-no1-john-suttons-fiji-test-nod/news-story/a8e6627ea3ec83e22f6de23204407e39

South Sydney star John Sutton has hinted he will run out for Fiji at the end of the season.

The 32-year-old has almost 300 games of first grade experience and played for City several times but never the Bati.

“My mum would definitely love me to play but I’ve just got to finish the rest of this year and see how the body is feeling,” Sutton told nrl.com.

31 minutes ago, B rad said:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/rugby-league-world-cup-scout-billy-slaters-bolt-for-kangaroos-no1-john-suttons-fiji-test-nod/news-story/a8e6627ea3ec83e22f6de23204407e39

South Sydney star John Sutton has hinted he will run out for Fiji at the end of the season.

The 32-year-old has almost 300 games of first grade experience and played for City several times but never the Bati.

“My mum would definitely love me to play but I’ve just got to finish the rest of this year and see how the body is feeling,” Sutton told nrl.com.

Wow, he sounded like he was busting a gut to play. :mellow:

Archived