Watersheddings

clifford

I've been looking for an aerial photo of the ground and I've found this, I think that it being black and white adds to it. 

I've had a bit of time on my hands this week so I've watched the Australian game st Helens game from 87 and Wigan 89 in the snow, where Trevor Croston use Shaun Edwards as a sledge and made him score at the cop end 

DSC_0422.JPG

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 'Last game at Watersheddings" painting is actually called "Sunset over Watersheddings" Yed17, the artist who did the pic (David Ford), is indeed sadly departed as Clifford says. I'm guessing copies of most pics/paintings that were released of Watersheddings will be quite hard to find these days, there is also an aerial photo taken literally hours before the last ever game at Watersheddings with a little plaque with the details under it. 

This link was from when the "Sunset" painting was released .

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/remember-watersheddings-days-971567

3 hours ago, clifford said:

I've been looking for an aerial photo of the ground and I've found this, I think that it being black and white adds to it. 

I've had a bit of time on my hands this week so I've watched the Australian game st Helens game from 87 and Wigan 89 in the snow, where Trevor Croston use Shaun Edwards as a sledge and made him score at the cop end 

DSC_0422.JPG

I have a colour,framed picture of Watersheddings at the top of the stairs at my house.Good memories.

2 minutes ago, howardm1978 said:

We always stood in the Waterhead paddock (bottom right of the picture) my Dad still hates going behind the sticks. 

That's where I'd default to standing too.  There'd generally be any combination of me, my Grandad and my ex Mrs.  We'd start off there but nip under the Penny Rush if it was raining.  

If we played towards Waterhead Park in the first half, we'd swap at half time to the same position at the top end.  I'd sometimes find myself behind the sticks in the cop end (is that what we called it?) but again I reckoned that happened if the weather was bad.

These days I sort of default to behind the sticks for no other reason than that's the place to enjoy the most atmosphere.  I like my adrenaline rush!  

Top of the Sheddings end, right behind the posts. Some happy days in there and what a great atmosphere. Night matches at Sheddings were something else. Miss the old place still ?, the bottom picture breaks me every time I look at it ?

1523482853404.jpg

1523482707259.jpg

32 minutes ago, roughyed34 said:

Top of the Sheddings end, right behind the posts. Some happy days in there and what a great atmosphere. Night matches at Sheddings were something else. Miss the old place still ?, the bottom picture breaks me every time I look at it ?

1523482853404.jpg

1523482707259.jpg

Dreadful image this ..... golfball in the throat stuff 

I used to stand with my mum, dad and sister on the Herbert St side as a kid (hence my name on here) but stood under the Hutchins stand when they pulled the Herbert St stand down. I was a ball boy for couple of years too and was when we played the aussies in 86. My dad sadly passed away in 2012 and for that only reason never been again since, but we had a walk over one day to look when they were pulling it down... Depressing. I have a picture of sheddings in my back bedroom.my mum still lives 5 mins walk away from there. 

O.R.L.F.C FOREVER!!

Heartbreaking, seeing xSheddings again, on this forum, as has been said before, it was a dump, but it was our dump, and has so many wonderful memories, great crowd, great teams, great atmosphere, great loss. Still, am still watching the roughyeds so some consolation. Myself and friends stood to right of players tunnel looking at the ground near the half way line, we occupy  roughly the same position standing at Whitebank,oops  Vestacare, but without the terracing, which restricts viewing.  Have a picture of ‘shedding with the greyhound track intact, remember thinking when the track was sold is this a sign of things to come, sadly it was . Ah well we have all got the memories.

When we produced “Watersheddings Memories” , we considered including some of the large collection of photos that were taken at the ground  before the demo lads moved in. These included a set inside the old pavilion, abandoned and empty! 

In the end we didn’t use them but they may appear if we ever get round to doing a Volume 2, or similar

Believe me they would bring tears to your eyes!

5 hours ago, howardm1978 said:

Where did everyone on here used to stand? 

Usually behind the posts that Oldham were attacking.Moved at half time after having bought a cup of Bovril on the way round.

The stand at the Waterhead end of the ground was widely known as the Pigeon Loft in the 70s (hence my name on here). I think it was called the Penny Rush in previous decades,not sure of its colloquial name in the 1980s onwards. Was amazed to see later photos where it was fitted out with seats.

Used to stand on the Herbert St terraces when evening games were televised on the BBC2 Tuesday night Floodlit Trophy broadcasts so the vocal support would be enhanced.

Might have to start a thread to see whatever happened to the guys I used to meet up with.

52 minutes ago, clifford said:

It was really poor at the end, but I can say that I had so many great memories there the pictures have made me feel  really sad, Oldham Council you well and truly shafted Oldham Rugby league :negative:

Not just the council 

This topic has made me feel quite sad despite all the happy memories.

I used to stand with my Dad and Sister in the Watersheddings Stand near the scoreboard from being about 8 and then moved directly behind the posts at the back from being about 14 and helped with the singing - great atmosphere!

Sad really but out of a group of about 10 - 15 I'm the only one who still goes.

A first memory of going to Watersheddings (around 1972) was noticing the little red onion domes which were on the top of each goalpost...I thought it was a cool finishing touch. I don't remember seeing anything similar at any other ground? Would have made nice souvenirs....no doubt someone has them on their mantlepiece.

Archived