Watersheddings

clifford

Just now, clifford said:

I'm rewatching old bbc and sky coverage on YouTube of sheddings. The crowds, the slope the ramshackle nature of the ground :girlwah:

I've watched all that stuff too. I found it Immensely frustrating and a little upsetting tbh.All the things you alluded to are the things we miss.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A team Friday night, straight from work, grab a pie from Donald's hut. First team Sunday. Made weekends worth waiting for.

It was magic, wasn't it?

Something very special has been missing from my life ever since.

When I was in my teens I watch them training on a Tuesday night and talked to the guys in the sheddings club. 

It felt wrong as I know I can't go there to place some of my dad's ashes. I know he would have liked that. 

43 minutes ago, BryanC said:

A team Friday night, straight from work, grab a pie from Donald's hut. First team Sunday. Made weekends worth waiting for.

It was magic, wasn't it?

Something very special has been missing from my life ever since.

It certainly was magic,the pie's were magic.The place was special.I love these reminiscing sessions.

42 minutes ago, clifford said:

When I was in my teens I watch them training on a Tuesday night and talked to the guys in the sheddings club. 

It felt wrong as I know I can't go there to place some of my dad's ashes. I know he would have liked that. 

I remember one time I ended up sitting next Charlie McAllister,he was massive.

On 4/29/2018 at 9:31 PM, andykenny said:

Still, happy times and after the match round to grandads on Equitable Street for a hot vimto before catching the 82,98 to George st and t'B bus to Fitton Hill.

I used to meet up with a guy from Fitton Hill at the 'Sheddings in the mid-70s...maybe you knew him? His name was Ray Sidall....he used to call himself Big Sid for reasons only known to himself....had long wild hair and made a lot of noise on the terraces! If memory serves me right,he worked at Butlers Leather Works and used to attend games with a guy called Rex (who had a very elaborate moustache). Along with a few others,we had good times watching games home and away,including a trip to Wembley in 1976 to see Saints do Widnes in front of 90,000. Just curious what happened to him,and if he is still a supporter? Must be early 60s now.

Another chap who used to turn up was Tom Rafferty aka Mad Tom,well known round the drinking dens of Uppermill (Top House and Front House,I recall). He often wore a denim jacket decorated with tartan,and enjoyed the rough and tumble that often happened when we were on the road.

Anyone remember these lads from the 70s?

12 hours ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

I used to meet up with a guy from Fitton Hill at the 'Sheddings in the mid-70s...maybe you knew him? His name was Ray Sidall....he used to call himself Big Sid for reasons only known to himself....had long wild hair and made a lot of noise on the terraces! If memory serves me right,he worked at Butlers Leather Works and used to attend games with a guy called Rex (who had a very elaborate moustache). Along with a few others,we had good times watching games home and away,including a trip to Wembley in 1976 to see Saints do Widnes in front of 90,000. Just curious what happened to him,and if he is still a supporter? Must be early 60s now.

Another chap who used to turn up was Tom Rafferty aka Mad Tom,well known round the drinking dens of Uppermill (Top House and Front House,I recall). He often wore a denim jacket decorated with tartan,and enjoyed the rough and tumble that often happened when we were on the road.

Anyone remember these lads from the 70s?

I was a mere kiddywink back then.I found out Charlie McCourt lived not far away on Hill Farm Close.My mum got his autograph for me when he came in the Co-op she worked in.

Andy.

Charlie joined us from Whitehaven in the late 1960s. He was a brilliant ball-playing second rower and played for us in the 1968 Lancashire Cup final, on a Friday night, at Central Park against St Helens.

I remember jumping about wildly when we scored first (penalty goal). Unfortunately that was as good as it got. We didn't score again and suffered a bit of a 'pasting' by the final whistle.  It was a long, and quiet, journey back to Waterhead on the supporters' coach, that night.

Charlie was an electrician by trade and he sadly died as a result of an accident whilst working on the construction of the Channel tunnel in 1990. His name is one of the eleven men featured on a memorial.

13 hours ago, ArthurO said:

Andy.

Charlie joined us from Whitehaven in the late 1960s. He was a brilliant ball-playing second rower and played for us in the 1968 Lancashire Cup final, on a Friday night, at Central Park against St Helens.

I remember jumping about wildly when we scored first (penalty goal). Unfortunately that was as good as it got. We didn't score again and suffered a bit of a 'pasting' by the final whistle.  It was a long, and quiet, journey back to Waterhead on the supporters' coach, that night.

Charlie was an electrician by trade and he sadly died as a result of an accident whilst working on the construction of the Channel tunnel in 1990. His name is one of the eleven men featured on a memorial.

If that is the bloke I think it is, I lived three doors down from him in Hathershaw around the time of this death

I think you have your Charlies mixed up i think it was Charlie McCourt that was killed in a accident in the channel tunnel. 

(Sorry, you didn't have your Charlies mixed up. I should have read the forum properly. Apologies. )

I've had some great times watching Hornets at Oldham. Some successful, some not. We seemed to do better against Oldham away than we did at home. Loads of memories. Dickie ? Brown running us ragged one night in the Challenge Cup replay. That was the game were we flew Terry Fogarty back from holiday so he could contribute nothing . Alan Hodgkinson breaking Uri Stondin's jaw with a clothes line tackle, possibly the worst tackle I've ever seen that went unpunished. Wisely he was subbed immediately to prevent any further trouble.

Stuart Whitehead emerging from the half way line bank of fog with the ball in hand running up hill to score in front of that big stand behind the goals. Peter Gartland spinning round,dummying a pass, and then walking in under the same posts as every defender was looking for the runners.

It was a great old ground, unique in many ways and I miss our trips to the old pIace. l don't miss the cold weather though, was it ever warm there, even in summer ?

Ah. Terry Fogerty. I was at Springhead school with Terry in the 1950s. He was a big lad. Literally 'head and shoulders' bigger than any of the other lads in his age group. He learned his rugby 'trade' at Saddleworth Rangers and Halifax signed him straight from school at the age of 16. He went on to be a brilliant ball-playing second rower. I never understood why he slipped underneath Oldham's scouting 'net' and went over the Pennines to 'Fax. I wished he could have played in our pack along side Bobby Irving. What a partnership that would have been.  

When he was in the mood he could beat teams on his own. I remember his debut against Wigan at the old Athletic Grounds. He was brilliant that day and unstoppable.

As we were walking away from the ground I was singing his praises and an old Wigan fan said to me " Wait while he's been here a few months ".

The old guy was right, that was his high point. When he didn't fancy it he was poor. In that game I referred to earlier he made a terrific break up the middle then threw out a perfect 30 yard pass to a supporting back,  who promptly dropped it ! That was his sole contribution, it was one of those nights.

• 3 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Rochdale Roughyed said:

I have these two prints in my bar at home.

rugby 1.jpg

rugby 2.jpg

I have the bottom one on my landing.Dont know where it came from,my wife got it for my birthday.Good memories of the place.I still live in the area and I still sometimes look in disbelief that it's now houses.

Archived