Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Yakstorm

Denver Test - Ticket Sales

59 minutes ago, BenGilesRL said:

Ok so it appears they're selling around 114  tickets a day by that and the previous totals (rough estimating I know)

So By that estimation there would be 13,388 there - if that was projected exactly up to game day.

It's quite difficult to keep a track of this. For example, today the site indicates that tickets are not now available for some of the 300 blocks. At the same time, $15 tickets for the rear of the large corner blocks 110 and 118 have been released. 

1 hour ago, saintspete83 said:

Great for us fans who are use to games with empty seats but I fear another poor image being projected. 20-25k would be a success imo but it will still not look very impressive in an 80k stadium to casual sports fans watching on the box.

Most casual sports fans will be tuning in to watch the game, not count the seats. Only TRLers with too much time on their hands do that.

• Like 7

Just now, John Drake said:

Most casual sports fans will be tuning in to watch the game, not count the seats. Only TRLers with too much time on their hands do that.

If I had £ from everyone in the past who are non RL fans whether at work or in a bar whilst watching a game saying to me "not many there" or "lots of empty seats" I would be doing well. Even Eddie Hern is quoted as mentioning RL and empty stadiums. As previously said its an image we seem to give away all to often. 

1 minute ago, saintspete83 said:

If I had £ from everyone in the past who are non RL fans whether at work or in a bar whilst watching a game saying to me "not many there" or "lots of empty seats" I would be doing well. Even Eddie Hern is quoted as mentioning RL and empty stadiums. As previously said its an image we seem to give away all to often. 

If I had a £ from every RL fan who has spent more time worrying about empty seats signalling the death knell of the sport rather than enjoying the game that's being played on the pitch I'd be a millionaire.

It's an 80k stadium. It was always going to have more empty seats than full ones for this game. It's a development exercise.

Imagine, if say 15k turn up, we could be saying "Wow, 15 thousand Americans turned up in Denver to watch a sport they've never seen before in a country where it has almost no profile, what a fantastic platform to build on for the future!"

Instead, it'll be "Oh god, there's no one there, it's just awful, the game's dead/dying. Let's never play outside the M62 corridor ever again."

Which response do you think is more likely to encourage those Americans who do show up in Denver to want to watch Rugby League again, and enable the next RL event in the US to draw an even bigger crowd?

• Like 12

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

If I had a £ from every RL fan who has spent more time worrying about empty seats signalling the death knell of the sport rather than enjoying the game that's being played on the pitch I'd be a millionaire.

It's an 80k stadium. It was always going to have more empty seats than full ones for this game. It's a development exercise.

Imagine, if say 15k turn up, we could be saying "Wow, 15 thousand Americans turned up in Denver to watch a sport they've never seen before in a country where it has almost no profile, what a fantastic platform to build on for the future!"

Instead, it'll be "Oh god, there's no one there, it's just awful, the game's dead/dying. Let's never play outside the M62 corridor ever again."

Which response do you think is more likely to encourage those Americans who do show up in Denver to want to watch Rugby League again, and enable the next RL event in the US to draw an even bigger crowd?

It doesn't have to be a sellout crowd, its a big stadium.  However, it does need to be a good sized crowd to be deemed a success....gotta get somewhere between 28 000-35 000 to be deemed a full success in NA rugby terms for a game of this magnitude.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I still think that it should have been held in the MLS stadium, with 18,000 seats it would be a sellout, and the atmosphere of a sellout will make it a hell of a lot easier to get people to come again next year, plus people would buy earlier if they knew that tickets were limited. That's the one gripe I have with the test, an 18,000 capacity crowd is epic, 18,000 in an 80k seater is quite dead.

Edited by Chamey
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chamey said:

I still think that it should have been held in the MLS stadium, with 18,000 seats it would be a sellout, and the atmosphere of a sellout will make it a hell of a lot easier to get people to come again next year, plus people would buy earlier if they knew that tickets were limited. That's the one gripe I have with the test, an 18,000 capacity crowd is epic, 18,000 in an 80k seater is quite dead.

I completely agree. A smaller crowd in a stadium that feels packed always leaves me feeling more of a buzz than a larger crowd in a half empty stadium.

5 hours ago, Chamey said:

But surely the whole point of this game is to test whether Moore can deliver a successful 2025 WC?

18k sellout for a big game wouldn’t really do that as we should be aiming for around that as an average, so a fairly large stadium was necessary. 

10 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Voss tweeted he’s doing it.

If it's the tweet I saw, I didn't take it that way. Regardless, I'm 99% sure it'll be Dave Woods anyway whether from there or Off Tube from Salford, perhaps similar to how Sky did Wigan v Hull from Sydney. 

30 minutes ago, Bilko said:

If it's the tweet I saw, I didn't take it that way. Regardless, I'm 99% sure it'll be Dave Woods anyway whether from there or Off Tube from Salford, perhaps similar to how Sky did Wigan v Hull from Sydney. 

Why else would Voss go to Denver if not to commentate?

I’d rather the commentator was live in attendance but wouldn’t be surprised if it was Woods in Salford.

2 hours ago, pahars said:

But surely the whole point of this game is to test whether Moore can deliver a successful 2025 WC?

18k sellout for a big game wouldn’t really do that as we should be aiming for around that as an average, so a fairly large stadium was necessary. 

No one at this stage knows what the crowd will be,there could be a  big walk up crowd on the day Let's not forget the majority of the  crowd will be new to the game.If they enjoy it, they will most likely tell their friends  and that will create interest for following games.

Edited by frank

9 hours ago, saintspete83 said:

I would say there is a difference between someone saying "there arent many people there" and the "the game is dead" brigade. I would make a comment of "not many people there" or "wow its a sell out" at almost every sporting event I am either at or watching on tv, it then very rarely crosses my mind again while I either enjoy the game for what it is or dont (and turn it off). 

Hearn is quoted as mentioning it? in what context, whats the full set of quotes etc (I am not having a go and nor am I expecting/wanting to see all the quotes).. he is a businessman and is probably seeing empty seats in terms of poundnotes and lost revenue rather than thinking it is the death of the game just that it is an opportunity for it.

Then there are people that let it run their life.. and those people need to get a life. 

28 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I’d rather the commentator was live in attendance but wouldn’t be surprised if it was Woods in Salford.

I expect he’ll be commentating for the NZ Audience 

49 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Not sure what the Tweet says, but in his column in League Weekly on Monday Voss said he was still in talks about whether he was going to Denver to commentate on the game. 

NZ and Australian audiences. Fox League will be broadcasting the game.

On the changes to open / closed bays, will say I'm glad that they are making a conscious effort to push sales into the lower bowl by opening up more $15 tickets.

The manner in which the game has been selling, the second level won't look too bad on TV as the front rows in a number of bays on the sideline having sales into them. The issue is there were still large gaps in the lower bowl.

Now if they can fill out the TV arc then for most viewers they won't care about the announced crowd. Just like in Melbourne for the RLWC2018 opener, most people who watched the game or highlights weren't even aware of the unsold sections.

signature.jpg

10 hours ago, John Drake said:

I totally disagree with this and its another one of these RL myths which people repeat often enough to make it become a fact.

If I watch a game with a neutral who has little knowledge of the sport or a RU sceptic it is always one of the first things they will comment on. A sparse crowd in a big stadium, whether that is at Huddersfield or Wembley makes the sport look small time and makes it look like its struggling. Similarly if the same people watch a Wigan v Saints or a Grand Final at a packed ground and great atmosphere then they get the complete opposite impression and they are always far more positive and receptive to the sport. 

• Like 2

Article in todays SMH shows the hypocrisy of the NRL, wanting players to back up 2 days after origin but don't want players to travel to Denver because of welfare concerns.

Young Panthers Origin stars need to learn to back up, starting Friday

By Matt Encarnacion
7 June 2018 — 10:28am

Penrith coach Anthony Griffin believes his young State of Origin stars need to learn how to back up for their club side after an Origin match.

Griffin is confident Blues debutants Nathan Cleary, Reagan Campbell-Gillard and Tyrone Peachey, as well as veteran James Maloney, will all play against Canberra on Friday night.

The quartet fly straight from Melbourne to the nation's capital on Thursday.

"At this stage, they've all pulled up really well. We'll check them when we get there after they've done some rehab but at this stage it looks positive that they'll all play," Griffin said.

Griffin pointed to the recent representative retirement of Cameron Smith as proof of player burnout, however he insists it is vital his youngsters maintain their form at club level.

"If you want to be an Origin player, the important thing is you can get your club stuff done as well. Obviously we make a decision there whether that's in their best interests from game to game," he said.

"From drawing a line [to] Cameron Smith, that was one of the main reasons he retired, he felt he couldn't back up for his club.

"They're pretty proud these days, players. We don't ever want to put them in a position where they risk injury but if they're fit to play and want to play, it's important that they do."

Griffin has experience in managing player workload in his time as coach of Brisbane, who have perennially provided the bulk of the Maroons squad since its inception.

He oversaw for the Broncos the final series of Queensland champion Darren Lockyer.

"We rested him for two [games], but the younger guys backed up," Griffin said.

"I know with my experience with the guys in Brisbane - we used to play a lot of Friday nights - they found it a lot easier to play Friday night than if we had a Sunday game."

Edited by Balmain1969
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, pahars said:

But that does not need to be in Y1, hold it in a small stadium for a couple of years, then move it to the 80ker in Y3, as a practice run for the final. 20k attending lots group stage games, with 60/70k there for a final would be a great success.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damien said:

I totally disagree with this and its another one of these RL myths which people repeat often enough to make it become a fact.

If I watch a game with a neutral who has little knowledge of the sport or a RU sceptic it is always one of the first things they will comment on. A sparse crowd in a big stadium, whether that is at Huddersfield or Wembley makes the sport look small time and makes it look like its struggling. Similarly if the same people watch a Wigan v Saints or a Grand Final at a packed ground and great atmosphere then they get the complete opposite impression and they are always far more positive and receptive to the sport. 

did these same people complain about the whole top teir of twikkers being closed for the England v Barbarians game the other week? or the massive empty sections at the same ground for double headers and when Sarries or Quins take matches there?

TELEMMGLPICT000164764931_trans_NvBQzQNjv

Edited by RP London
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Kayakman said:

It doesn't have to be a sellout crowd, its a big stadium.  However, it does need to be a good sized crowd to be deemed a success....gotta get somewhere between 28 000-35 000 to be deemed a full success in NA rugby terms for a game of this magnitude.

The last time England played New Zealand at home, in the actual birthplace of the sport, the crowd was just over 24k.

If you look at this list of England matches against allcomers since the year dot, you'll see that big crowds are the exception, not the norm. But still, the sport has managed to survive for 100+ years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_England_national_rugby_league_team_results

I don't think it is doing the sport any favours for anyone to pump up unrealistic expectations about the crowd for this development experiment in Denver - a city where RL has never been played before in a country with almost no RL awareness whatsoever - because whatever it turns out to be, it will never be big enough for those who can't watch and enjoy a game without obsessing about empty seats.

We just have to accept that in a stadium that size, there are going to be A LOT of empty seats on display, even if the game attracted a record attendance for this fixture, which it won't.

There will be loads of things to learn from the outcome of this fixture, which is what makes it an exciting venture in its own right. We should focus on those things, rather than worry in advance that it is going to be some kind of disaster because of empty seats, which unfortunately is the default setting for a lot of people in this sport.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Most games of any sport I've ever seen are not watched by capacity crowds.

I've seen many a cricket match on TV where there have been more players on the pitch than spectators in the seats.

It only seems to become an obsession in RL.

"The game's dead/dying!. We're doomed!"

No it isn't. No we're not.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RP London said:

did these same people complain about the whole top teir of twikkers being closed for the England v Barbarians game the other week? or the massive empty sections at the same ground for double headers and when Sarries or Quins take matches there?

It depends. If it's a simple club match, or a meaningless fixture, then having 60k there definitely won't show the sport as struggling, but if it's a match between two top sides (wigan v cas for example), or the 2nd and 3rd best sides in the sport, then it doesn't look so good, currently we're 12k in a 25k seater for the former, and looking at 20k in an 80k for the latter. The atmosphere of either a tonne of people watching something (50k+), or a sellout crowd are both epic, and Moore sports should have looked at doing one or the other, but instead have settled on a middle ground that may not please. For what it's worth more generally, I'm a massive advocate of playing in a stadium slightly too small for the amount of people that want to go, and then hosting a few games a year in big stadiums. That 12k could have made an epic atmosphere in a 12k stadium.

Although it should be said that I think that 20k would be a pretty decent achievement by the promoters, given John's point above.

Edited by Chamey
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chamey said:

It depends. If it's a simple club match, or a meaningless fixture, then having 60k there definitely won't show the sport as struggling, but if it's a match between two top sides (wigan v cas for example), or the 2nd and 3rd best sides in the sport, then it doesn't look so good, currently we're 12k in a 25k seater for the former, and looking at 20k in an 80k for the latter. The atmosphere of either a tonne of people watching something (50k+), or a sellout crowd are both epic, and Moore sports should have looked at doing one or the other, but instead have settled on a middle ground that may not please. For what it's worth more generally, I'm a massive advocate of playing in a stadium slightly too small for the amount of people that want to go, and then hosting a few games a year in big stadiums. That 12k could have made an epic atmosphere in a 12k stadium.

Although it should be said that I think that 20k would be a pretty decent achievement by the promoters, given John's point above.

Moore sports I think are confident of having quite a few there.. whether he is correct or not remains to be seen but he seems relatively confident there will be a good number. I dont disagree with you about filling a smaller stadium but equally if the options are the MLS ground with 18k and Mile High with 80k then its difficult if you think you can get 35k to say right we'll go to the 18k stadium and half the people interested can be left disappointing.. in an area like America I would just get as many as want to be in the stadium in it so as to watch the game. 

My point to Damien is not about the actual crowd levels but if he is out with these people talking about stadia do they do the same when watching these so called "big events" that dont fill up.. what about Wales v South Africa in Washington... or do these people just watch the sport.. 

I cannot understand the obsession with crowds unless the person obsessing has an agenda.. ie they want it to fail or they want to see an issue (normally and RU journo talking about RL). 

A minority sport in a country it isnt known should frankly be happy with more than the 18k so justifying it being in the bigger stadium for bums on seats.. then build.

33 minutes ago, RP London said:

TELEMMGLPICT000164764931_trans_NvBQzQNjv

Why is he doing that with everyone walking slowly in the background?

• Haha 5

14 minutes ago, Copa said:

Why is he doing that with everyone walking slowly in the background?

his teammate in the red black and white socks on the right hand side of the picture with his head down is just muttering "kn*b"