Sign in to follow this  
Yakstorm

Denver Test - Ticket Sales

16 minutes ago, Damien said:

Yeah its a no brainer. Elland Road or not doesn't really bother me. The point was Leeds and having Leeds United there is what makes it work. Being controversial imagine if in the last TV deal the clubs and RFL agreed to use £30 million for all or part ownership of a new stadium but the clubs and RFL then all get a share of the profits going forward. Short term pain but the game and clubs would be much better off in the long term. 

You would think as well that there would be funding, grants and perhaps political help the RFL could get access to as well.

27 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Its unlikely they will move to a new stadium but its certainly an option for a heavily redeveloped one which is something that is being looked at with a strategy over the next few years, with apparently a big improvement in the digital and tech infrastructure to world leading standards as part of the 49'ers investment in to the club.

An investment of lets say £10m for a 25% stake in the stadium and the right to use it 10 times a year would probably look attractive to both sides.

The RFL get a home stadium that can be used at cost for semi-finals, big games, 9s comps, some double headers, internationals etc smack bang in the middle of the heartlands in an easy to get to location, at a stadium RL gets good attendances in.

And the club get an injection of cash and a partner helping to use an asset that sits dormant for a quarter of the year.

A large part of the benefit of having your own stadium is that you can rent it out for conferencing and events. Having a small part of Elland road would not confer that benefit. Odsal Stadium is the obvious candidate, given that RFL already own it, and there is space around it. For £30m you could redevelop the conferencing facilities, one of the stands, and plough a tonne of money into grassroots.

Edited by Chamey

3 minutes ago, Chamey said:

A large part of the benefit of having your own stadium is that you can rent it out for conferencing. Having a small part of Elland road would not confer that benefit. Odsal Stadium is the obvious candidate, given that RFL already own it.

Odsal would need more spending on it to bring it up to the necessary standard, doesnt have a tenant that could afford a substantial increase in rent and i think the RFL only hold a lease on it rather than the freehold.

Elland Road has very good and very heavily used conference facilities, far more than the RFL would be likely to get at Odsal regardless of how much they spent on it.

Edited by scotchy1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chamey said:

A large part of the benefit of having your own stadium is that you can rent it out for conferencing. Having a small part of Elland road would not confer that benefit. Odsal Stadium is the obvious candidate, given that RFL already own it.

Is that really true? Man Utd only make about £1m profit a year on their conference and events, I'd expect that to be significantly less for any other Northern sports ground. 

However, hiring out the stadium for concerts and other sports games tends to be quite lucrative. That's why for me 10x events per year for ever would be a high price.

Just now, scotchy1 said:

Odsal would need more spending on it to bring it up to the necessary standard, doesnt have a tenant that could afford a substantial increase in rent and i think the RFL only hold a lease on it rather than the freehold.

You wouldn't need to increase the Bull's rent. They would need to get the freehold, true. But part owning a stadium will not get you any of the non-matchday income. It also has plenty of space for expansion.

2 minutes ago, Cowardly Fan said:

I'd guess it would be more than £30m for Leeds to consider it. I think it's beyond the means of the RFL.

The stadium cost £20m to buy only a year ago. Obviously that price was vastly reduced because of the terms of the lease Leeds had, but Leeds arent likely to sell the stadium and move anyway so its actual value is pretty irrelevant.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chamey said:

You wouldn't need to increase the Bull's rent. They would need to get the freehold, true. But part owning a stadium will not get you any of the non-matchday income. It also has plenty of space for expansion.

You would need to increase the Bulls rent to subsidise the huge costs of bringing the stadium up to standard and maintaining the stadium at the higher standard.

7 minutes ago, Cowardly Fan said:

Is that really true? Man Utd only make about £1m profit a year on their conference and events, I'd expect that to be significantly less for any other Northern sports ground. 

However, hiring out the stadium for concerts and other sports games tends to be quite lucrative. That's why for me 10x events per year for ever would be a high price.

You have to find 10 events to put on a year. If the RFL are doing that and we get an extra 300k people through the doors every year, buying food and drink, selling advertising, the huge corporate hospitality functions, boxes etc then that is quite lucrative for both the RFL and their stadium partner.

13 minutes ago, Cowardly Fan said:

Fair enough, I'm surprised that it's that low, iirc Exeter Chiefs make about £1m profit down in Devon. Either way, that would still be an extra revenue source. Even if RFL only makes 500k profit from conferencing, that's 10 full-time regional development officers that could be hired. 

6 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

You would need to increase the Bulls rent to subsidise the huge costs of bringing the stadium up to standard and maintaining the stadium at the higher standard.

You wouldn't have to, just make them accept a deal whereby they no longer have primacy of tenancy. The 2 home tests there a year, plus the CC semi double header, and summer bash could be there permanently, which would subsidise the piecemeal renovations. Plus the RFL would get to keep the food & beverage profit, which would be another big financial benefit.

Edited by Chamey

It would be cheaper and far easier to build a new stadium than renovating Odsal. There are very good reasons why Leeds would work, I cant see any for Odsal. 

• Like 2

Just now, Chamey said:

You wouldn't have to, just make them accept a deal whereby they no longer have primacy of tenancy. The 2 home tests there a year, plus the CC semi double header, and summer bash could be there permanently, which would subsidise the piecemeal renovations.

How do you pay for it. We have shelled out £30m to improve Odsal (and we arent talking a large, top class stadium with vast conferencing and hospitality facilities at £30m. The King Power stadium cost about £40m 16 years ago, the KC cost £44m around the same time), spent a bit more on the freehold, then we rent it out to bradford to use 20+ times a year for peanuts and make all that £30m+ plus maintenance costs back in 2 home tests, a CC semi double header (for which we would get fewer attendees than we do now) and summer bash?

• Like 1

Who else has just re-checked the actual title of this thread? This is a Denver zone!

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Who else has just re-checked the actual title of this thread? This is a Denver zone!

I was just about to make that comment until I saw this after finishing what seemed to be a slight thread drift! Why are we talking about Bradford and Odsal here?!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

How do you pay for it. We have shelled out £30m to improve Odsal (and we arent talking a large, top class stadium with vast conferencing and hospitality facilities at £30m. The King Power stadium cost about £40m 16 years ago, the KC cost £44m around the same time), spent a bit more on the freehold, then we rent it out to bradford to use 20+ times a year for peanuts and make all that £30m+ plus maintenance costs back in 2 home tests, a CC semi double header (for which we would get fewer attendees than we do now) and summer bash?

Bar buying the freehold (which may be quite cheap if you make an agreement with Bradford BC to hold events there. That would be almost all the spending you'd need to do. It's perfectly functional as a stadium right now, and you can just slowly upgrade things as the money comes in.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Chamey said:

Bar buying the freehold (which may be quite cheap if you make an agreement with Bradford BC to hold events there. That would be almost all the spending you'd need to do. It's perfectly functional as a stadium right now, and you can just slowly upgrade things as the money comes in.

Other than being run down, expensive to maintain, having only 5k seats, being mostly uncovered, having relatively small corporate facilities, and not having a tenant who could afford the rent on an improved facility (to cover the expenditure and maintenance) it seems a great idea.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Other than being run down, expensive to maintain, having only 5k seats, being mostly uncovered, having relatively small corporate facilities, and not having a tenant who could afford the rent on an improved facility (to cover the expenditure and maintenance) it seems a great idea.

Well the RFL's revenues currently consist of a small portion of a tv deal, a tip jar and the Moore Sports payment for the Denver match. They have to grow their revenues somehow, and having a home that they own, can develop and will actually make a profit on hosting events at is crucial.

1 minute ago, Chamey said:

Well the RFL's revenues currently consist of a small portion of a tv deal, a tip jar and the Moore Sports payment for the Denver match. They have to grow their revenues somehow, and having a home that they own, can develop and will actually make a profit on hosting events at is crucial.

Well yes, that was the suggestion that the RFL invest in a home that they can use to make profits on events. And because their revenues are so relatively small that rather than shelling out millions on their own which would largely lie dormant (or in your idea be rented out for no additional revenue) They share a facility of sufficient size and quality with a football club who would take on the vast majority of the costs of improvement and maintenance.

17 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Are we up to 12,000 tickets gone yet?

Or as you like to call it, are we down to 70,000 empty seats yet? ?

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Are we up to 12,000 tickets gone yet?

Not easy to calculate with sections becoming unavailable and others opening, seemingly at the same time. My counter, which will not be bang up-to-date, is showing 11,819 - I think that would be 15.5% of capacity.

I suppose the next target is 12,293 - the crowd for Australia v France in the RLWC 2017.

Edited by Manxmanc

Great that it's going to be shown on bbc2, and no Jonathan Davies either, which is a bonus. 

• Like 1

With good broadcast options for England, NZ and Australia sorted, now we just have to wait and see what TV can be arranged for North America... I saw a post on the International Rugby League Facebook page say there's be something announced in the next week or so. Would be great if we can get the game in a few bars or something. Any news on ticket sales?