Penalty restart and ten meter advantage?

I've just been watching my first amateur RL game in almost forty years,with the televised Wigan St. Pats v Thatto Heath on FreeSports. Last time I watched amateur RL was on Clapham Common in 1981 when Ealing were playing London Colonials.....a long time ago!

Anyway,on to today.....several times,when awarded a penalty for rough play,the aggrieved side advanced 10m from where the infringement occurred ,with play stopped, and resumed their attack with a tap at that point and a reset tackle count. No kick to touch,but a ten meter advantage given.

Is this a new rule,and only for amateur RL?  I don't remember seeing it before. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

I've just been watching my first amateur RL game in almost forty years,with the televised Wigan St. Pats v Thatto Heath on FreeSports. Last time I watched amateur RL was on Clapham Common in 1981 when Ealing were playing London Colonials.....a long time ago!

Anyway,on to today.....several times,when awarded a penalty for rough play,the aggrieved side advanced 10m from where the infringement occurred ,with play stopped, and resumed their attack with a tap at that point and a reset tackle count. No kick to touch,but a ten meter advantage given.

Is this a new rule,and only for amateur RL?  I don't remember seeing it before. Thanks.

Lots of grounds have limitations due to roads nearby, or other sports ongoing at same time. So if a penalty is given, there are given 10yd gain and the game restarts with a tap.

To be honest 10m is pretty poor, and maybe should be increased.

HW

Archived