New Grounds.

Can anyone bring me up to date with progress on new grounds at Castleford,Wakefield(redevelopment) and indeed York,Sheffield or anywhere else.

The only activity I have seen has been at Headingley,which looks as though it could be a terrific ground in 12 months time.

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

I really do wish Cas and Wakey could get positive news about the definite start to the build of their new grounds 

There's supposedly a decisive meeting this week on the City of Wakefield Community Stadium.  Hope a deal that works will be agreed.

Up the Trin 

Sheffield Eagles are at the Olympic Legacy Park with temporary stand and toilets for this season and work is expected to start on the permanent stand towards the end of the season. The work is hoped to be finished in the early part of 2019 season when the whole Eagles operation will be based at the stadium.

9 minutes ago, Eagle Warrior said:

Sheffield Eagles are at the Olympic Legacy Park with temporary stand and toilets for this season and work is expected to start on the permanent stand towards the end of the season. The work is hoped to be finished in the early part of 2019 season when the whole Eagles operation will be based at the stadium.

Great news! Back in the city and hopefully build to be challenging for a SL place in the next 10 years!

1 hour ago, Eagle Warrior said:

This is great news,can you give us anymore info like will it only have one stand or will others be built after the first one is completed ?,what will the capacity be etc 

1 hour ago, yipyee said:

Great news! Back in the city and hopefully build to be challenging for a SL place in the next 10 years!

Not unless a rich man with more money than sense spots the Eagles and decides to use it as his hobby - and I'm an Eagles fan. I'd settle for the standard of team we had when we were at the top of the Championship.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

14 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Not unless a rich man with more money than sense spots the Eagles and decides to use it as his hobby - and I'm an Eagles fan. I'd settle for the standard of team we had when we were at the top of the Championship.

I wish we had a few hundred of those in the game! ?

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

16 hours ago, Bulliac said:

The Odsal 'Superdome' remains alive as a figment of my imagination, lurking somewhere in the deeper, more rarely accessed, recesses of my brain. Maybe next year will be our year..?

There was a rumour that the RFL were going to move lock stock and barrel to Odsal and do the ground up with EU funding, but that plan went South when the country voted to leave the EU.

8 hours ago, The Future is League said:

There was a rumour that the RFL were going to move lock stock and barrel to Odsal and do the ground up with EU funding, but that plan went South when the country voted to leave the EU.

To be fair, there have been many rumours and to judge the quality of some of those rumours you only have to remember that the one you quoted was probably one of the more believable. That said, it was never truly very likely and any real development at the ground is most likely to be commercially based - it is, after all, a huge site with a capability of being used for many things as well as a fair sized rugby ground.

Sadly, with money being tight and  the economy trundling along the bottom and, in the near future at least, only likely to get worse, it seems unlikely to happen soon.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

its very difficult for RL clubs to upgrade their grounds or build new ones. Paying at the agreed rates its going to take Leeds 40 years to pay for the rebuild of those new stands 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

On 5/7/2018 at 3:19 PM, Eagle Warrior said:

What if Kevin McCabe,owner of Sheffield United and head of Scarborough Group, sells his interest in the soccer club to the rich Prince Abdullah and there is no longer an interest in the Ladies team having a stadium?

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

24 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

Wakey and Cas really should be sharing that stadium.  

Not a viable proposition in my opinion.

It's a good 8 miles from Wakefield, along some of the most congested roads you could imagine. Wakefield's crowds would dwindle.

That's if it ever even gets built.  I just don't see it happening.  If the big retailers that Axiom think they are going to attract were interested, they'd already be in the 1/4 empty retail park over the road.

15 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Odsal was never a viable proposition without a major development partner on board to build the other things like retail and residential which would make the site viable. 

The "it's not happening because of Brexit" is laughable. It's not happening because nobody is willing to plough that much money into the site.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

2 hours ago, Bulliac said:

Isn't their major sponsor a building firm? I'm assuming Caddick are still involved in Leeds rugby.

yes , but LCC brokered the deal with a major finance company to build the three stands for the Rugby club and YCC and its getting paid off as a mortgage and I think the main reason the council got involved was that they didn't want to lose test cricket for the city . Yes Caddick still owns the club and I think doing the rebuild 

FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Caddick is doing the build and, presumably, there was some sort of competitive tendering on the dual stand bit just to keep YCCC happy. But these things are costing a fortune and I doubt Caddick is aiming to make a huge profit margin on them. On the other hand he's certainly not gifting them to Leeds :)

51 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

yes , but LCC brokered the deal with a major finance company to build the three stands for the Rugby club and YCC and its getting paid off as a mortgage and I think the main reason the council got involved was that they didn't want to lose test cricket for the city . Yes Caddick still owns the club and I think doing the rebuild 

I'm shocked that Leeds are needing a mortgage to rebuild the ground,  it actually make me realise how lucky Saints are to have a new stadium without any outside debt as it was paid for by the Knowsley road sale plus the board of directors.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

17 hours ago, The Future is League said:

The main rumours were no such thing, though?  Instead, they centred around a new (more modest) stadium over the road on the Richard Dunn site, along with a base for the RFL and various other non-RL activities, as well as maybe a replacement sports centre. Much of the funding to come from the redevelopment of the Odsal site outside of RL  The rumours were contemporaneous with the rumours about Wood buying/Buying into the Bulls, Koukash secretly financing the Bulls, Shergar being found alive and well with Lord Lucan and Elvis living in a double-decker bus on the Moon, and Parkie writing a post of only one paragraph.

All that seems to have gone out of the window of late, judging by the silence on the rumour mill? Strangely enough, around the same time as the settlement of the tribunal action against the RFL for an undisclosed amount, Wood's seeming defenestration, and Koukash having public arguments with Chalmers. Doubtless a pure co-incidence, I am sure?

Bradford Council are now to buld a new, replacement sports centre on the Sedburgh playing fields, and there have been reports of Bradford Park Avenue FC sharing Odsal. So who knows what the latest is?  Although I cannot ever see Odsal, as is, ever being a sustainable and enduring proposition.  Whoever breeds the flying pigs we have seen for years over Odsal seems assured of steady work for a good few years yet!

As for the RFL HQ, someone at Rot Hall told me that if Lengahan & Co and the SL clubs get their way in wresting the main financing of - and therefore control of - the game from the RFL, the RFL will be moved out of Rot Hall into a portacabin in Bacup.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

13 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

I'm shocked that Leeds are needing a mortgage to rebuild the ground,  it actually make me realise how lucky Saints are to have a new stadium without any outside debt as it was paid for by the Knowsley road sale plus the board of directors.

yes Leeds are putting money in but Half a million a year for forty years I believe .

JAMIE PEACOCK

Archived