New Grounds.

2 hours ago, cookey said:

RL has an image problem and it's not helped by these grounds.If the owners are unwilling/unable to provide modern facilities,regrettably,these clubs have no place in Super League.

Depends who you are directing your image at. Grime and dilapidation is much more evident up close i.e. for current fans at grounds.

On tv a busy Wheldon Road looks a hell of a lot better than a half empty or more than half empty JJB or McAlpine. It signals a relatively small club at the centre of its community, packing them in. That is a good image even if it's not the currently chosen core narrative.

Ideally the venues need to be both modern but also appropriate in scale and function. Of the top flight grounds, only New Headingley, Halliwell Jones and Langtree Park fit the bill plus Gilbert Brutus and New Craven Park to a degree. And even then Saints chose to build a ground which presents a sea of red seats at most games.

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tend to agree with you.To the outside world,the game would look better if Wigan and Hull had capacities of around 15,000 and Huddersfield,say 10,000

The new Cas ground at around 10,000 would look good but I'm just fed up of all the false promises.Most Premiership RU grounds have a capacity oof around 10/15,000 but are largely full.

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:46 AM, cookey said:

I tend to agree with you.To the outside world,the game would look better if Wigan and Hull had capacities of around 15,000 and Huddersfield,say 10,000

The new Cas ground at around 10,000 would look good but I'm just fed up of all the false promises.Most Premiership RU grounds have a capacity oof around 10/15,000 but are largely full.

New details of the proposed Cas ground due out tomorrow. One (believable) rumour I've heard is that it won't be an all seater - standing area(s) to presumably increase capacity without increasing build cost

Most important thing for a ground is image in my mind and what I mean by that is how it looks on TV during a game. A smaller ground which is full looks a heck of a lot better than a massive ground empty, this being most evident with internationals. People complain when we have internationals in 25-30,000 capacity grounds but it is full and there is a good atmosphere which is good for TV and the game as a whole. Terracing is perfect for this because a smaller group of people can spread out a bit without leaving a sea of brightly coloured empty seats which is why all seaters are a bad idea, because it is a lot more noticeable when it is empty.

The problem with TV is the camera tends to always point at the main stand which tends to be seated so when you're watching you see it quite empty and it doesn't show the packed terracing in the stand below the camera. 

On 6/18/2018 at 10:46 AM, cookey said:

You are right, the majority of the RU prem have stadiums of 10 - 15,000 and no one seems to mind.

We are a strange breed in RL thinking that our clubs need football type capacity's.

10,000 for a club like Cas would be perfect, would look full every week would have a great atmosphere and could sell premium memberships etc as with a smaller capacity you create a supply and demand issue where you may be able to flog more premium priced seats and it turn make more money than if you add more capacity for the sake of it.

I like the idea of building grounds to suit current requirements, 10k would be great for Cas at the moment. As long as there is enough thought put into the design so it wont be to hard to increase capacity later on if required. It would be great to think that sometime down the track a team like Cas would outgrow 10k and need an upgrade.

21 minutes ago, TheDuke said:

The ability to fill in the corners like the Warrington stadium is a good idea

i like going to Cas currently as you are close to the action 

I do like going to cas and it will be a shame when it is gone but I guess it does need updating. Perfect example of a ground that looks full when it isn't and always seems to be a good atmosphere, big part of that being the crowd close to the pitch.

I hope they don't build what I would call a flat pack stadium, just a ground with 4 characterless boxes stuck to the side of the pitch, no atmosphere, no design or thought put into it. It doesn't have to be fancy and 10,000 capacity would be fine but just make it look interesting. 

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I do like going to cas and it will be a shame when it is gone but I guess it does need updating. Perfect example of a ground that looks full when it isn't and always seems to be a good atmosphere, big part of that being the crowd close to the pitch.

I hope they don't build what I would call a flat pack stadium, just a ground with 4 characterless boxes stuck to the side of the pitch, no atmosphere, no design or thought put into it. It doesn't have to be fancy and 10,000 capacity would be fine but just make it look interesting. 

Don't worry.  It won't ever get built.

The wider development is far from likely to happen, not a single retailer is signed up and two of the big names that allegedly expressed an interest are sliding into the brown stuff.

The existing developments at Xscape and Jn32 have plenty of empty units, there is simply no requirement or demand for more.  There's also the massive expense of moving the electricity pylons and remodelling the motorway junction.

Axiom's best hope for the land is to get it re-zoned as residential, in fact it would not surprise me if that wasn't the plan when they bought it off the previous developer, who must have realised it was never going to fly.

Another shiny drawing / scale model for the Castleford collection.

1 hour ago, David Shepherd said:

Don't worry.  It won't ever get built.

The wider development is far from likely to happen, not a single retailer is signed up and two of the big names that allegedly expressed an interest are sliding into the brown stuff.

The existing developments at Xscape and Jn32 have plenty of empty units, there is simply no requirement or demand for more.  There's also the massive expense of moving the electricity pylons and remodelling the motorway junction.

Axiom's best hope for the land is to get it re-zoned as residential, in fact it would not surprise me if that wasn't the plan when they bought it off the previous developer, who must have realised it was never going to fly.

Another shiny drawing / scale model for the Castleford collection.

There's so much wrong with that statement. There are 4 retailers signed up (M&S, Boots, Next and Primark), the pylons don't need to be moved and remodelling the junction has always been part of the plan.  As for the empty units at J32 that's a whole different genre of retail outlet ie end of line/season.

Having said that, whether it goes ahead or not is another matter. Interestingly re housing part of the old Prince of Wales site earmarked for industrial units has recently been re-assigned to housing.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:40 PM, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Most important thing for a ground is image in my mind and what I mean by that is how it looks on TV during a game. A smaller ground which is full looks a heck of a lot better than a massive ground empty, this being most evident with internationals. People complain when we have internationals in 25-30,000 capacity grounds but it is full and there is a good atmosphere which is good for TV and the game as a whole. Terracing is perfect for this because a smaller group of people can spread out a bit without leaving a sea of brightly coloured empty seats which is why all seaters are a bad idea, because it is a lot more noticeable when it is empty.

The problem with TV is the camera tends to always point at the main stand which tends to be seated so when you're watching you see it quite empty and it doesn't show the packed terracing in the stand below the camera. 

I hate seeing the empty seats at St Helens, either side of the North Stand is sparsely populated, despite good attendances.

For TV purposes, it would have looked amazing had the stand been a terrace incorporating the two corners, one of which being given to away fans... Seeing lively terraced fans all the way through a televised game, instead of seated fans and many gaps.

Different scenario, but the Wembley Stadium corporate seats directly in front of the camera, empty after 2nd half kick off, what an eyesore for Worldwide TV. A sellout match looks poorly populated.

A few more of York's new stadium below. York City Knights also have an open evening coming up where fans can reserve (buy?) a seat in the new stadium:

92726985-74AC-4363-AC00-E36E7DD73557.jpeg

B15F6845-F998-4032-A25F-DAA843E8ABC9.jpeg

Dg9T4GKXcAACnrA.jpg

I believe it's expected to be completed in a years time and yes the ground is shared with York City. Not sure about how it will work with opening, but here is what I wrote a few weeks back on the York forum:

To get safety certificates nowadays you need  'ramp up' fixtures where only certain areas of a stadium are open, so I wonder if the Knights will play the first fixture at the new stadium (perhaps a league game), before York City have the first full match (a full house friendly vs Leeds Utd is my bet).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived