New Grounds.

There is indicative planning permission for a cover at the western end as part of the stadium masterplan - but with that end of the ground now accounting for more than 20% of the stadium's capacity doing anything which will reduce this is going to be a non-starter. Which brings us back to the key problem with this redevelopment - the sacrifices made in the north stand's capacity to fit the banqueting suite in and to properly accommodate TV facilities on the cricket side.

The planning fight to do some serious demolition at the western end doesn't bear thinking about but Caddick might be up for a swing at it if he views completing the stadium as part of his legacy. One thing is for sure - the owners of the semis on The Turnways would be able to cash in big time if we had to buy them to demolish them, this pair in particular -

IMG_989024_ul.jpg.fe862cafa11cf5d840533101bb24a810.jpg

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The problem with the western terrace, as has probably been said before, is what exactly do you want to do when you "sort it".

I completely agree with your post; I know all the issues - I simply meant in an ideal world, mirroring the Carnegie `Stand would make Headingley a world class RL venue

3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Upgrading the western terrace just isnt worth it. It would cost a fortune and likely only cut capacity. Spending lots of money to bring in less doesnt really make sense.  

It does look pretty in masterplans with that end completed though (this from '95) :)

headingley95proposal.jpg

1 hour ago, M j M said:

There is indicative planning permission for a cover at the western end as part of the stadium masterplan - but with that end of the ground now accounting for more than 20% of the stadium's capacity doing anything which will reduce this is going to be a non-starter. Which brings us back to the key problem with this redevelopment - the sacrifices made in the north stand's capacity to fit the banqueting suite in and to properly accommodate TV facilities on the cricket side.

The planning fight to do some serious demolition at the western end doesn't bear thinking about but Caddick might be up for a swing at it if he views completing the stadium as part of his legacy. One thing is for sure - the owners of the semis on The Turnways would be able to cash in big time if we had to buy them to demolish them, this pair in particular -

IMG_989024_ul.jpg.fe862cafa11cf5d840533101bb24a810.jpg

MJM - do you know if there is the ability to add to the new South or North stands if Leeds ever wanted to? Also, is there anything in the plans about developing the quadrants to enclose the ground and add extra capacity? 

This always felt a bit odd that they didn’t adjoin the Carnegie and South stand during the new development 

25 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

MJM - do you know if there is the ability to add to the new South or North stands if Leeds ever wanted to? Also, is there anything in the plans about developing the quadrants to enclose the ground and add extra capacity? 

This always felt a bit odd that they didn’t adjoin the Carnegie and South stand during the new development 

Once they remove the floodlight columns they could fill the corners in 

24 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I can't see how they can easily expand the capacities of either of the new stands, they have built the South Stand as large as they dare and the north stand is as big as possible whilst ticking their other boxes - they have squeezed as much in as they can, including seats out in the open in the north east corner.

The stands can't be joined in the south east corner as such, but they can bring back the corner terracing that was there before. The structures of both stands in the SE go as far to the boundary wall as was possible to clear planning, hence their shape - to join them would require building out over the road.

As Mr Plow says when the floodlights are taken down maybe they'll take the opportunity to do some work on the corners; we'll get a sliver back in the NW just by reclaiming the space at the bottom. I seem to recall they want to use the SW corner for equipment access though.

51 minutes ago, M j M said:

I can't see how they can easily expand the capacities of either of the new stands, they have built the South Stand as large as they dare and the north stand is as big as possible whilst ticking their other boxes - they have squeezed as much in as they can, including seats out in the open in the north east corner.

The stands can't be joined in the south east corner as such, but they can bring back the corner terracing that was there before. The structures of both stands in the SE go as far to the boundary wall as was possible to clear planning, hence their shape - to join them would require building out over the road.

As Mr Plow says when the floodlights are taken down maybe they'll take the opportunity to do some work on the corners; we'll get a sliver back in the NW just by reclaiming the space at the bottom. I seem to recall they want to use the SW corner for equipment access though.

Quite a bit of space will be freed up from removing the floodlights I didn't know about the SW corner I suppose the only corner that could be fully filled would be the SE. 

I couldn't see them ever doing anything with the Western Terrace apart from maybe putting a roof over it. I can't ever see them expanding it or rebuilding it

55 minutes ago, M j M said:

I wonder whether planning would allow building over the road on the SE. If you look at the Millennium stadium in Cardiff, it’s remarkable that got allowed through planning given the tight proximity to other buildings and the overhang across the main roads

On 7/29/2018 at 10:08 AM, Rupert Prince said:

Ah, Crown Flatts, how the memories come back. 

It was Crown Flatt - just saying.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

8 hours ago, philipw said:

If only they could justify the expense of sorting the Western Terrace, it would undoubtedly be the best RL stadium in the country. 

Best in the Championship by a long chalk, that's for sure.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

Quite a bit of space will be freed up from removing the floodlights I didn't know about the SW corner I suppose the only corner that could be fully filled would be the SE. 

Look on Google Maps. There's just no room in the SE corner. At best you could curve the carnegie terrace round to the SS and add a couple of hundred uncovered terracing places to the capacity, but there's plenty of uncovered terracing that never sells out anyway

New video promoting Headingley's new/updated corporate heaven -

http://emeraldheadingleystadium.events/app/uploads/2018/08/emerald-headingley-stadium.mp4

Plus a brand new joint Leeds/YCCC website - I'm intrigued to find out just what the arrangements are between the two clubs now given before Headingley Experience was just a Leeds operation.

http://emeraldheadingleystadium.events/the-suites/

think I have mentioned this before on a different thread, Lansdowne Road had a very  similar situation regarding one of their terraces,

they found a way round the problem , building technology is improving massively and I am certain something could be done in the future without losing  any capacity, but as someone has already said , its all about the cost.

however with the 2 new stands  Headingley will look great when finished,

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:39 PM, M j M said:

This is true. The South Stand isn't a complex project though, it's probably less complex structurally than the Carnegie Stand, but larger. The Carnegie cost around £7m, even with 10 years of inflation the S Stand just can't come to more than £15m.

Which leaves £25m+ for the North Stand. That's a lot of money for less than 4,000 RL seats.

North stand is really two stands in one so I'd expect it to cost a bit more.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

1 minute ago, M j M said:

Undoubtedly, but £25m is more than it cost to build Langtree Park in its entirity.

1 minute ago, M j M said:

Undoubtedly, but £25m is more than it cost to build Langtree Park in its entirity.

Wasn't Langtree (25 million) an off the peg stadium designed and built by Barr Construction ? You've also got to take into consideration that the North and South stands had to be demolished, then there is the hire of the temporary stands.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

5 hours ago, Omott91 said:

Can someone explain why English grounds have those large standing only areas as pictured above. We don't have such areas in Aussie grounds. Can these standing only areas hold more people than if there were seats in place instead?

Yes.

Traditionally English fans prefer to stand at footy games 

Archived