New Grounds.

50 minutes ago, cookey said:

Any updates on York,Wakefield,Castleford? - or even Bradford.

Still plenty to do but progressing nicely. I believe they are ahead of schedule, although the winter weather will slow the progress down a bit.

6B064DAC-BBAB-42D3-B1CE-B887DD1A4201.jpeg

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, cookey said:

Any updates on York,Wakefield,Castleford? - or even Bradford.

Castleford’s stadium seems certain to go ahead. Part of a bigger shopping development called Axiom. Will take a little while to build - probably another 2 seasons at Wheldon Rd before moving to the new stadium. But the beauty of it is Cas get a free stadium without having to sell their current home.

2 minutes ago, goldcoaster said:

Castleford’s stadium seems certain to go ahead. Part of a bigger shopping development called Axiom. Will take a little while to build - probably another 2 seasons at Wheldon Rd before moving to the new stadium. But the beauty of it is Cas get a free stadium without having to sell their current home.

Is this 2004 , am I in a ' time warp ' ?

8 minutes ago, goldcoaster said:

Loop fixtures to go with posts on a loop

6 hours ago, AB Knight said:

Still plenty to do but progressing nicely. I believe they are ahead of schedule, although the winter weather will slow the progress down a bit.

Thanks, as ever, ABK.  It is good to have some positive ground news, somewhere! 

A detailed point, but I would have assumed that the contractors would have factored in a delaying factor for winter weather, so unless the next few months are abnormally grotty, if building is ahead of schedule now, I would expect it to still be so in the spring.  

I wonder if there is a penalty clause which will impact adversely on the contractor if they fall too far behind and handover the completed stadium is delayed.

3 hours ago, goldcoaster said:

I heard it had been delayed due to the unicorn that was grazing on the land.

37 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Thanks, as ever, ABK.  It is good to have some positive ground news, somewhere! 

A detailed point, but I would have assumed that the contractors would have factored in a delaying factor for winter weather, so unless the next few months are abnormally grotty, if building is ahead of schedule now, I would expect it to still be so in the spring.  

I wonder if there is a penalty clause which will impact adversely on the contractor if they fall too far behind and handover the completed stadium is delayed.

No problem, I'll just add that the picture is from 23rd August I believe (more recent pictures have been from distance so not as good) so no doubt they are cracking on with it even more.

Re: penalty clause, not too sure, I'm just happy to be moving into it in Summer 2019. Not sure what other York City Knights fans views are but I won't miss Bootham Crescent, of course it has it's memories (it's where I first met my partner!) and there have been some great matches over the last few seasons but that's about it, we are only tenants at Bootham Crescent and it's felt that way since the first match I saw there. Hopefully the new stadium will feel more like home.

Fingers crossed Castleford (my 1st team) can make some progress soon.

56 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

South Stands pretty much finished. Any new on when the floodlight columns are coming down?

No - I imagine over the close season as I'd have thought the north stand edge ones can be got up and running even if the rest of the stand isn't complete. Pylon D in the NW corner already is no longer effective as the new north stand is blocking its arc for a chunk of the corner of that pitch.

I suppose it's just me being a old git but I think it's sad that club's of all code's are doing away with floodlight pylons, it always used to increase the anticipation when you saw the floodlights, usually you're first sight, on the way to a ground, especially for a night game, by far my favourite time to watch.

On 8/12/2018 at 12:40 PM, Tommygilf said:

The problem with the western terrace, as has probably been said before, is what exactly do you want to do when you "sort it".

The space to move around it is minimal. It thins out massively towards the southern end and has the public right of way behind it as well as the houses. Two options I could see in terms of increasing the space would have been to move the Carnegie (East) stand as far back as possible. Even to the point of having its structure built into the boundaries of the ground with an underpass where the carnegie cafe is now. Alternatively we could have done a Bournemouth and flipped the axis of the pitch. But obviously that would have cost a ridiculous amount. 

So what do we do now? Do we just add a roof? I'm not sure that would address the issues and would just paper over the cracks. Also a roof would run the risk of the planning being refused due to the houses and public right of way behind. Could we knock it down and build a new stand in its place. Yes but that would almost certainly be of a significantly reduced capacity, bringing the stadium overall down. Would look a bit like the tiny end at Landsdowne Road in Dublin. Whats the point of that. 

Whilst I agree the Western Terrace will look like the ugly sister to the rest of the ground, until I see an option to modernise it that genuinely would be an improvement, I'm inclined to not do anything just yet. Its still better than Wakey and Cas. 

Perhaps Leeds should have moved to a new venue, rather patch up an old ground. A purpose built 20k capacity ground, with built with possible expansion built in. 

3 minutes ago, kev p said:

Perhaps Leeds should have moved to a new venue, rather patch up an old ground. A purpose built 20k capacity ground, with built with possible expansion built in. 

Caddick and Hetherington came into the club to save Headingley.

As the most important historic ground in the game it would be a tragedy to see it lost IMO.

7 minutes ago, kev p said:

Patch it up? What a ridiculous comment. Three new stands in the past few years, plus a vastly improved Test Match ground alongside. It will look superb when it is finished.

14 hours ago, AB Knight said:

You'll be surprised how quick the steel works will go up because they don't  have to skirt around a pitch.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

11 hours ago, kev p said:

Headingley is in the perfect location IMO. Not too far from the city centre and close to plenty of pubs and bars. 

Where in Leeds would you build a new stadium? If they moved to the outskirts of the city it would kill the club

On September 7, 2018 at 1:36 AM, Omott91 said:

Can someone explain why English grounds have those large standing only areas as pictured above. We don't have such areas in Aussie grounds. Can these standing only areas hold more people than if there were seats in place instead?

Do they still have those grassy banks at Australian grounds ? 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

2 hours ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Do they still have those grassy banks at Australian grounds ? 

Yeah most suburban grounds have a grassy hill, mainly where families go and kids have room to move around, well away from the booze is allowed. Dad and I enjoy sitting on the hill at McDonald Jones stadium (knights home ground).

knights stadium.jpg

2 hours ago, Omott91 said:

Although I do like all seater stadiums like the one currently being built at Parramatta.

https://culture.ftbl.com.au/gallery/hell-yeah-a-glimpse-inside-the-new-parramatta-stadium-512109

Do you think standing areas like we have in the UK would be accepted in Australia or would you all rather sit? There’s a big debate over here about standing at soccer stadiums

2 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

Do you think standing areas like we have in the UK would be accepted in Australia or would you all rather sit? There’s a big debate over here about standing at soccer stadiums

The main problem I find with all seater stadiums is when the drunks go back to their seats after half-time, you can be up and down more than the knickers on a Kings Cross lady.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Archived