New Grounds.

16 hours ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

but they're not cash rich £40,000000 this is costing and what anyone does with their own property without outside help has nothing to do with anyone else . 

Just pointing out it would be far cheaper to build a better stadium that would have 4 for for purpose sides.

I get people are stuck in the past and like to stay at headingly but what about future generations. It's the same selfish generation who are ruining the world right now..

The flat pack quotes make me laugh... it's not as if the stadium comes in a box with instructions for asembley ? 

Wembley itself is a brand new stadium is that flat pack? 

Basically teams who move to new stadia see a jump in attendance so the notion that moving is unpopular and would drive down attendances is a myth.

Good luck to Leeds if they want to throw away money and still only have a half complete stadium that's upto them.

I would have thought a bit of investment on the pitch would have been a priority but let's see what 2019 brings.

I look forward to standing on a Wakefieldesque bit of concrete in 2019 as always. That's if the weather forecast is favourable ?

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Just pointing out it would be far cheaper to build a better stadium that would have 4 for for purpose sides.

I get people are stuck in the past and like to stay at headingly but what about future generations. It's the same selfish generation who are ruining the world right now..

The flat pack quotes make me laugh... it's not as if the stadium comes in a box with instructions for asembley ? 

Basically teams who move to new stadia see a jump in attendance so the notion that moving is unpopular and would drive down attendances is a myth.

Good luck to Leeds if they want to throw away money and still only have a half complete stadium that's upto them.

I would have thought a bit of investment on the pitch would have been a priority but let's see what 2019 brings.

I look forward to standing on a Wakefieldesque bit of concrete in 2019 as always. That's if the weather forecast is favourable ?

Where in Leeds would you build a new stadium? Headingley is in the perfect location, close to the city centre and has lots of pubs and bars nearby.   

1 hour ago, yipyee said:

1. Basically teams who move to new stadia see a jump in attendance so the notion that moving is unpopular and would drive down attendances is a myth.

2. Good luck to Leeds if they want to throw away money and still only have a half complete stadium that's upto them.

3. I would have thought a bit of investment on the pitch would have been a priority but let's see what 2019 brings.

1. A sweeping statement that has been proven to be incorrect. Some new stadia see increases in attendance, but not all.

2. Half? Given they've completely rebuilt three sides of the stadium in a little over ten years, I would suggest its more than that.

3. How do you suggest they do that? They can only spend x amount on-field, due to the salary cap. 

3 hours ago, yipyee said:

Sorry but they do flat pack stadiums (Barr Steel) not exactly in a box but on the back of a lorry.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

3 hours ago, yipyee said:

Where did you get the notion it would be cheaper to build a new stadium elsewhere? The money for the North stand is only there because of the cricket. The club put the money up for the SS I believe So where would the other approx 20 - 30 millon come from to build a new stadium elsewhere in the city.

Also any new land would have to be on the ourskirts of Leeds. You'd never get any land in leafy North Leeds in this day and age.

There is no suitable land in north Leeds,a number of clubs have looked and found nothing.One would have to go well north of the Ring Road,probably out towards Otley.I do wish people with absolutely no knowledge would stop putting forward simplistic solutions.

55 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I noticed yesterday that the works cabins are on site where Castleford Tigers new ground is going to be.

They've been there for ages and have stood unused for getting on for a year now. Latest (amendment) to the planning application should have been ruled on this week but has been put back. Nothing's going to happen there for a while yet.

49 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

They've been there for ages and have stood unused for getting on for a year now. Latest (amendment) to the planning application should have been ruled on this week but has been put back. Nothing's going to happen there for a while yet.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Do you think the planned development will ever go ahead as it's been sold to Cas?

I can't imagine physical retailers are remotely interested in acquiring new square footage anytime soon.

Surely that land is more valuable if it can be re-zoned as housing. This pie in the sky shopping development might just be a stepping stone plan.

1 hour ago, David Shepherd said:

Do you think the planned development will ever go ahead as it's been sold to Cas?

I can't imagine physical retailers are remotely interested in acquiring new square footage anytime soon.

Surely that land is more valuable if it can be re-zoned as housing. This pie in the sky shopping development might just be a stepping stone plan.

I'm working on three new retail park developments at the moment

9 hours ago, philipw said:

1. A sweeping statement that has been proven to be incorrect. Some new stadia see increases in attendance, but not all.

2. Half? Given they've completely rebuilt three sides of the stadium in a little over ten years, I would suggest its more than that.

3. How do you suggest they do that? They can only spend x amount on-field, due to the salary cap. 

1. Name one

2. They built half the cricket has built a quarter

3.salary and signing players are 2 different things..

6 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

Where did you get the notion it would be cheaper to build a new stadium elsewhere? The money for the North stand is only there because of the cricket. The club put the money up for the SS I believe So where would the other approx 20 - 30 millon come from to build a new stadium elsewhere in the city.

Also any new land would have to be on the ourskirts of Leeds. You'd never get any land in leafy North Leeds in this day and age.

Why would a new build be 30 million? 

Also selling their ground would raise a considerable sum.

10 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

Where in Leeds would you build a new stadium? Headingley is in the perfect location, close to the city centre and has lots of pubs and bars nearby.   

Ffs wherever you go bars would spring up.

Being close to the centre is not always ideal and easier access would be the reward.

Most clubs who build new start with a patch of land and grow around it.

Man city was a coal pit entrance outside of Manchester now it has its own tram stops (Ok it was built for commonwealth but still was nothing)

Man Utd was an out of town development.

Wigan moved out of town to an old munitions works. All around it was new at the time.

Saint helens was never in town and moved to the other side of town onto an old glassworks

Is there no land fit for redevelopment around Leeds? Hyperthetical I know

5 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Being close to the centre is not always ideal and easier access would be the reward.

You don't like the Headingley redevelopment? I think the ground looks incredible, one of my favourite stadiums in any sport, regardless of the open end stand. All that history and the location, the terracing, the quirks, it's superb!

1 minute ago, yipyee said:

Attendances rose initially.

The union clubs have risen dramatically since relocating... is the union club pinching potential league fans?

I have no idea, nor do I understand why Sale has increased in attendances... However, that is one soulless concrete mess, it's awful, the location, traffic, everything about it seems wrong.

I love St Helens' new ground and the location, but I still prefer Headingley. You have to admit the place is pretty special, and it's great they've gone against the flat pack trend. These new ground feel like every other cheap modern retail park construction that's plaguing the nation. Awful (in my humble opinion).

14 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Most clubs who build new start with a patch of land and grow around it.

Man city was a coal pit entrance outside of Manchester now it has its own tram stops (Ok it was built for commonwealth but still was nothing)

Man Utd was an out of town development.

Wigan moved out of town to an old munitions works. All around it was new at the time.

Saint helens was never in town and moved to the other side of town onto an old glassworks

Is there no land fit for redevelopment around Leeds? Hyperthetical I know

Why would they move? Caddick bought the club with a view to redevelop the stadium. If they moved then YCC would have moved to Wakefield. The city of Leeds makes a lot of money from test matches at Headingley.

Being close to the city centre is better than being on the outskirts, they’re in and around the fan base, not forgotten about outside the city.for example: I live in West Leeds, if they built a ground in East Leeds I’d have to travel across the city. It’s a lot easier to get to Headingley than it is to the other side of town. People like to go out into Headingley and Leeds before and after games

So yeah, for some clubs relocating is good but I’m Leeds’ case there’s no need. Why move for the sake of one stand? Boca juniors only have 3 stands ( and none of them have a roof!)

70465148-5892-4186-BDC0-11A7CBECAAE4.jpeg

I can assure you that John Lewis scoured north Leeds for many years and found nothing suitable/capable of gaining pp.It was their no 1 uk target.In the end they had to take a city centre site.

Tesco carried out a similar search in north central Leeds.

Incidentally,Leeds gain much of their income/profit from non match day parties/celebrations - this would significantly decline the further out of Headingley/city you go.Frankly rl people should be proud of Headingley,not envious and trying to put it down.With certain things happening at present,it's truely amazing that people try to find the negative in a £40 mill redevelopment.

8 hours ago, yipyee said:

1. Name one

Yet 3/4 of the rugby ground has been rebuilt, no matter who has paid for it....

You want them to go out and splash big money on transfer fees, in a sport that is notorious for not particularly having a cash-heavy transfer market?

8 hours ago, yipyee said:

1. Name one

1. Huddersfield. Wigan and Warrington (maybe St Helens) are pretty much the exception really.

Archived