New Grounds.

2 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

looks terrific ,WOW we are going to be even more unpopular !

looks like the team doing the construction are a lot more competent than the team its for

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/28/2018 at 12:49 PM, fieldofclothofgold said:

The statue of the Great John Holmes will be in place in front of the middle entrance of the new SS in April or May 

Hope its the right John Holmes or it’ll be a massive cock up

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

The rumour about buying the houses at the back of the WT with a view to developing the WT . Although that Street The Turnways I think its called is part of the Architectural heritage of Headingley and the conservationists will be out in force mou ting objections saying the stadium encroaching onto the street would spoil it . Although a good Architect could make it look acceptable . Like I said just a rumour and if it came true it would be quite a few years in the future 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

7 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

The rumour about buying the houses at the back of the WT with a view to developing the WT . Although that Street The Turnways I think its called is part of the Architectural heritage of Headingley and the conservationists will be out in force mou ting objections saying the stadium encroaching onto the street would spoil it . Although a good Architect could make it look acceptable . Like I said just a rumour and if it came true it would be quite a few years in the future  

A year or so ago I had a quick look at the land registry for a couple of the houses which were likely candidates, half expecting a Caddick company to be the owner. But they just seemed to be residential landlords. Now maybe neither have come up for sale over the last 22 years but there doesn't seem to be any evidence Leeds or Caddick are gobbling up the houses on the Turnways.

But it would be a planning battle for the ages - the South Stand process would be a pillow fight in comparison.

2 hours ago, M j M said:

A year or so ago I had a quick look at the land registry for a couple of the houses which were likely candidates, half expecting a Caddick company to be the owner. But they just seemed to be residential landlords. Now maybe neither have come up for sale over the last 22 years but there doesn't seem to be any evidence Leeds or Caddick are gobbling up the houses on the Turnways.

But it would be a planning battle for the ages - the South Stand process would be a pillow fight in comparison.

Not necessarily, it all depends on the characters on the council at the time. I think it was the Lib Dem/labour coalition that screwed Leeds over last time with planning on the south stand. Relations have certainly improved since then and the amount of work that the foundation does in the community certainly helps. Political support can help ease it through 

3 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Not necessarily, it all depends on the characters on the council at the time. I think it was the Lib Dem/labour coalition that screwed Leeds over last time with planning on the south stand. Relations have certainly improved since then and the amount of work that the foundation does in the community certainly helps. Political support can help ease it through 

I think in any scenario demolishing houses to build back onto the Turnways would be a huge battle - there is no way it could get nodded through.

Just now, M j M said:

I think in any scenario demolishing houses to build back onto the Turnways would be a huge battle - there is no way it could get nodded through.

Of course there is, compulsory purchase. If there’s a will there’s a way, plenty of other grounds and developments have done it, just look at what crossrail and HS2 have had to overcome

6 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Of course there is, compulsory purchase. If there’s a will there’s a way, plenty of other grounds and developments have done it, just look at what crossrail and HS2 have had to overcome 

There is zero chance the council are going to use compulsory purchase powers over houses next to Headingley to allow Leeds to develop a west stand. It just isn't going to happen.

5 minutes ago, M j M said:

There is zero chance the council are going to use compulsory purchase powers over houses next to Headingley to allow Leeds to develop a west stand. It just isn't going to happen.

I know there’s not zero chance, but I’m not going into more detail. If you want to believe otherwise, feel free, knock yourself out

12 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I know there’s not zero chance, but I’m not going into more detail. If you want to believe otherwise, feel free, knock yourself out 

Compulsory purchase to allow stadia expansion or building has a dubious history. The likelihood of Leeds City Council wishing to go down that route is not high and the basis on which they could push through a compulsory purchase is murky.

I certainly can't imagine Leeds would want to spend years in the courts; much easier to simply acquire them on the open market when they come up for sale - if this is something they are interested in doing and there's not much evidence of that as it stands either, certainly not anytime soon.

8 minutes ago, M j M said:

Compulsory purchase to allow stadia expansion or building has a dubious history. The likelihood of Leeds City Council wishing to go down that route is not high and the basis on which they could push through a compulsory purchase is murky.

I certainly can't imagine Leeds would want to spend years in the courts; much easier to simply acquire them on the open market when they come up for sale - if this is something they are interested in doing and there's not much evidence of that as it stands either, certainly not anytime soon.

So you've gone from zero chance of compulsory purchase, to not high. Interesting.........

Of course it would easier for the club to purchase the housing directly. There is stuff going on in the background, whether it will come to fruition, only time will tell. Watch this space, although it's not a priority as things stand, particularly after the on field results of last season

12 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

So you've gone from zero chance of compulsory purchase, to not high. Interesting......... 

Of course it would easier for the club to purchase the housing directly. There is stuff going on in the background, whether it will come to fruition, only time will tell. Watch this space, although it's not a priority as things stand, particularly after the on field results of last season 

You can take not high as a euphemism for zero.

I'll watch this space with interest but nothing I've seen or heard from board members or senior management indicates any wheels are turning at present.

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

If there is no political will from your local planning authority, there is zero chance of a stadium happening.

WMDC has a population of 340 000 and not one modern, fit for purpose sports stadium. (Fev is the closest, but that was despite, not because of, the council).

20 years of Peter Box as leader = zero progress.

10 hours ago, M j M said:

You can take not high as a euphemism for zero.

Its highly improbable, but not zero.

Anfield used a compulsory purchase order to knock down a full terraced street so they could build that huge new main stand a few years ago.

I doubt Leeds Rhinos have the same sway as Liverpool FC, but there's a precedent there.

6 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

I doubt Leeds Rhinos have the same sway as Liverpool FC, but there's a precedent there. 

That's the key thing. Leeds don't have the same depth of support either locally or on the council for such a hugely controversial move to be taken by local politicians.

38 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Anfield used a compulsory purchase order to knock down a full terraced street so they could build that huge new main stand a few years ago.

If memory serves me right, LFC spent a decade or more buying more and more houses within the two - the CPO only came in to play for the last couple of houses (I think).

2 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

Plus there’s the public right if way they’d have to move. 

I cant see it ever happening. A roof over the stand is more realistic but I think there’s an issue about the houses getting less light.

its not worth debating tbh. 

Will believe all this when I see the first brick being laid. Fev have built up a lovely little ground due to effort and toil. Surely its not beyond the scope of the big boys to follow suit.

Archived