New Grounds.

On paper Headingley is not the best. However the best stadiums aren't always decided on paper and in practice it will have bucketfuls of character and will have an appeal that is hard to quantify. This will make it better to watch RL in than the souless all seater stadiums and Identikit grounds. I always loved going to the old Headingley and fully expect the same sort of experience, but better, in the redeveloped version.

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be interesting to see if Headingley becomes the Test match RL venue for West Yorkshire.

For the past 20 years all test matches in the RL hotbed of West Yorkshire have been in Huddersfield (as they have the regions only modern RL stadium), but will the new Headingley replace it?

55 minutes ago, goldcoaster said:

It will be interesting to see if Headingley becomes the Test match RL venue for West Yorkshire.

For the past 20 years all test matches in the RL hotbed of West Yorkshire have been in Huddersfield (as they have the regions only modern RL stadium), but will the new Headingley replace it?

Hope so with all the history Headingley has and now with the new facilities ect. I think Headingleys capacity is 21K, the John Smiths Stadium is 24K so only 3k difference but I think a sold out Headingley would look and sound better on TV and in person than a sold out Huddersfield

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

One out of two isn't a good strike rate. Hull City don't own the KCom. They think they do but they don't. They are tenants just like Hull FC.

But it's not a fully purpose built RL ground 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

52 minutes ago, Auntie Linzi Morris said:

Not if you're an away fan and it's raining.

In that scenario, it's quite possibly the worst.

Lots of grounds have open ended away ends, Wheldon Road, Belle Vue, Odsal. Apparently though Leeds are in talks with the owners of the houses behind the stand. I understand they are concerned a roof would obstruct their light (even though there’s those big trees there) but that’s just what I’ve heard, could be BS

DD7409B2-3050-4856-B042-C3C2D1626F09.jpeg

2 hours ago, Auntie Linzi Morris said:

Not if you're an away fan and it's raining.

In that scenario, it's quite possibly the worst.

Ignoring the whole "there isn't an away end at Headingley" thing, the way people talk about this is as if Headingley experiences endless typhoons every second Friday between February to September. We're a summer sport, it really doesn't rain that much, and standing in the sunshine probably has some appeal (judging by the number of Leeds fans who stand on that terrace).

There is not going to be any sort of roof on the Western Terrace - there just isn't the return on investment for the club to do it. It would involve the loss of housing stock which isn't going to get any sort of planning support whatsoever and even if it could, CPO'ing those properties (or just waiting and purchasing as the come to market) would be too costly. There's also not a lot of evidence to suggest that the lack of a roof keeps away enough paying punters to justify the outlay. 

3 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

Hope so with all the history Headingley has and now with the new facilities ect. I think Headingleys capacity is 21K, the John Smiths Stadium is 24K so only 3k difference but I think a sold out Headingley would look and sound better on TV and in person than a sold out Huddersfield

The new capacity is under 20k and around 4,000 of that is on an uncovered hill

Looking at it objectively, I don't see how it would look or sound better to be honest. As far as "little" grounds go, Huddersfield is very handsome; the three complete sides at Headingley are relatively basic and the kind of thing you see at dozens of lower league football grounds all over the UK. And if it's the same people attending, I don't see how Headingley would have any kind of acoustic advantage over Huddersfield. Probably the opposite

2 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

Lots of grounds have open ended away ends, Wheldon Road, Belle Vue, Odsal. Apparently though Leeds are in talks with the owners of the houses behind the stand. I understand they are concerned a roof would obstruct their light (even though there’s those big trees there) but that’s just what I’ve heard, could be BS

DD7409B2-3050-4856-B042-C3C2D1626F09.jpeg

It's not BS when the first plans for the whole ground to be developed there was objections about the Southstand and the Western terrace after a great deal of discussion which took time ,the SS was approved and the plans for the Western terrace have not been taken off the table and I too am led to believe talks are still on going . Remember Leeds are doing this independently without selling up a d moving and it's not one of those community stadiums . So it does take time and money . I do hope it's not just a roof they cover the e d with I want t it to be an investment of capacity . Maybe that's why it's still open

FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

1 hour ago, Gorbals said:

Looking at it objectively, I don't see how it would look or sound better to be honest. As far as "little" grounds go, Huddersfield is very handsome; the three complete sides at Headingley are relatively basic and the kind of thing you see at dozens of lower league football grounds all over the UK. And if it's the same people attending, I don't see how Headingley would have any kind of acoustic advantage over Huddersfield. Probably the opposite

Since when have there been more acoustic advantage at Huddersfield than. Headingley ? 

JAMIE PEACOCK

2 hours ago, Gorbals said:

How can you call The three sides of Headingley very basic 2 sides are not even been opened and the club are expecting to make money on the corporate hospitality which they have done before . Have you been inside to any functions in the Carnegie ? Which are also being upgraded. Huddersfield is also a lower league football ground that has an FA Premier club playing on it . The difference is Leeds Rl own their ground 

JAMIE PEACOCK

1 hour ago, Gorbals said:

I’d hardly say any of the stands at Headingley are basic. There’s great corporate facilities in the Carnegie stand and there will also be in the North stand. I’m pretty sure a lot of lower league football clubs would love to have a ground like Headingley. As for the atmosphere the stands are closer to the pitch and the whole stadium is squeezed into a corner rather than Huddersfield which feels very open

25 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

I’d hardly say any of the stands at Headingley are basic. There’s great corporate facilities in the Carnegie stand and there will also be in the North stand. I’m pretty sure a lot of lower league football clubs would love to have a ground like Headingley. As for the atmosphere the stands are closer to the pitch and the whole stadium is squeezed into a corner rather than Huddersfield which feels very open

This

JAMIE PEACOCK

2 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

I went to Headingley in 2003 and I got wet stood on the western terrace.

No one is going to claim they stood on the western terrace when it was raining and didn't get wet .The thing is Leeds are vastly upgrading their ground which was better than most other grounds before and are getting slagged because one section has not YET been done 

JAMIE PEACOCK

I've always seen Headingley as "the best of both worlds." It has the history and character of a Wheldon Rd or Belle Vue, but isn't a crumbling wreck. For that reason I can't really argue with anyone who says it's the best ground in SL. KCom and DW are "better" stadiums, but can sometimes feel sterile. You never think that about Headingley. 

I actually haven't been to a rugby game there since the South Stand development started, but I did go to a Yorkshire t20 game this summer so I have had a peek and it looked impressive. Hopefully I will be able to make it when Hull play there next year. 

3 hours ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Since when have there been more acoustic advantage at Huddersfield than. Headingley ? 

I was just replying to whoever said it would "sound better" at Headingley. There's no reason it would and, if anything, the extra roof and the fact the roofs are lower probably would give Hudds an advantage, if there was an advantage to be had. I doubt it makes any difference, international atmospheres are usually bad

2 hours ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

How can you call The three sides of Headingley very basic 2 sides are not even been opened and the club are expecting to make money on the corporate hospitality which they have done before . Have you been inside to any functions in the Carnegie ? Which are also being upgraded. Huddersfield is also a lower league football ground that has an FA Premier club playing on it . The difference is Leeds Rl own their ground 

I don't mean to offend! But they are very basic stands from an architectural viewpoint, especially the SS. The NS is interesting because of the shared aspect, but it's a very simple and cheap single tier of seating on the RL side

And when I say basic, I mean so relatively speaking and for a new build, not in comparison with an old Victorian ground!. I also don't know about, and am unlikely to ever know about, the corporate side of things, that may well be top notch for all I know or will ever care. As a stadium it's very good value, but it's not turning heads anywhere.

Archived