New Grounds.

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, DoubleD said:

What happened with the plans for a new Whitehaven stadium which was meant to be done for the last World Cup? 

No agreement could be reached with the Miners Welfare on access rights. The Miners welfare own The Recreation ground, car park and land around the ground, I think the stadium was to be built on the land behind the Recreation ground where Whitehaven Amateurs football team play, locally it used to be known as the county ground, I don't believe the Miners Welfare own the ground but do own the access to it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-29440687

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

1 hour ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

No agreement could be reached with the Miners Welfare on access rights. The Miners welfare own The Recreation ground, car park and land around the ground, I think the stadium was to be built on the land behind the Recreation ground where Whitehaven Amateurs football team play, locally it used to be known as the county ground, I don't believe the Miners Welfare own the ground but do own the access to it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-29440687

Thanks, appreciated. So it's dead in the water then? You'd think a commercial agreement could have been reached with Miners Welfare, particularly if it safeguards the long term tenants of the site.............

14 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Thanks, appreciated. So it's dead in the water then? You'd think a commercial agreement could have been reached with Miners Welfare, particularly if it safeguards the long term tenants of the site.............

You'[d have thought so, from memory, at the time some people accused the Miners Welfare of holding the project to ransom but they argued that they had to put their members interests first. I don't think Copeland council covered themselves in glory either.

Access to the area and parking was improved and a new 3G pitch installed, paid for by the Football Foundation and I think a new clubhouse for the football team. I'm guessing, but I suspect the access wasn't improved enough for the proposed capacity of around 6000 an may have actually been done after the project was abandoned.

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

37 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

You'[d have thought so, from memory, at the time some people accused the Miners Welfare of holding the project to ransom but they argued that they had to put their members interests first. I don't think Copeland council covered themselves in glory either.

Access to the area and parking was improved and a new 3G pitch installed, paid for by the Football Foundation and I think a new clubhouse for the football team. I'm guessing, but I suspect the access wasn't improved enough for the proposed capacity of around 6000 an may have actually been done after the project was abandoned.

Won't be the first time a council hasn't covered themselves in glory!!!!!!

18 minutes ago, TheDuke said:

What is happening at Wakey 

Good news on the Wakefield Community Stadium very soon according to radio interview by our wonderful council leader a  couple of weeks ago.  A few rumours all saying the same off a deal being done to finally redevelop Belle Vue, but nothing official has been announced as yet.  Planning decision on Newmarket development due mid Jan so it might coincide with that, who knows.  Won’t hold my breath but live in hope.

Up the Trin 

2 hours ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

Good news on the Wakefield Community Stadium very soon according to radio interview by our wonderful council leader a  couple of weeks ago.  A few rumours all saying the same off a deal being done to finally redevelop Belle Vue, but nothing official has been announced as yet.  Planning decision on Newmarket development due mid Jan so it might coincide with that, who knows.  Won’t hold my breath but live in hope.

Up the Trin 

Didn’t they build that big freezer at the Newmarket site? 

38 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Didn’t they build that big freezer at the Newmarket site? 

Yes just built an extension to it too.  The new planning app on Newmarket is for other warehouses but a totally different than what originally got passed.  No community stadium on the new plans though,  which was the only reason the green belt land was granted planning permission in the first place.  I don’t know how they’re allowed to get away with it.

Up the WMDC

3 hours ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

Yes just built an extension to it too.  The new planning app on Newmarket is for other warehouses but a totally different than what originally got passed.  No community stadium on the new plans though,  which was the only reason the green belt land was granted planning permission in the first place.  I don’t know how they’re allowed to get away with it.

Up the WMDC

Hopefully Wakefield get to redevelop Belle Vue then. A stadium should only have been built at Newmarket if Cas and Wakefield were to share it

• 3 weeks later...

A few years ago the other code introduced financial penalties if stadia did not meet set standards.

It is well documented the reason Sale Sharks moved from the Stockport Ground (they owned) to the AJ Bell is it was cheaper to rent a stadium than pay the penalties that were imposed every year.

Is that an option in RL?

Rather than try and enforce a minimum ( and regulate clubs) You set a standard:

1. TV Facilities
  2. Disabled access
  3. seating ( v average crowd)
  4. corporate
  5. etc

And the  clubs  who fail to meet the standards are fined £millions.

It would set a standard achievable , and force some clubs who do not comply to either decide to pay the fine or sort out a new/upgraded ground.

4 hours ago, kiyan said:

A few years ago the other code introduced financial penalties if stadia did not meet set standards.

It is well documented the reason Sale Sharks moved from the Stockport Ground (they owned) to the AJ Bell is it was cheaper to rent a stadium than pay the penalties that were imposed every year.

Is that an option in RL? 

Problem with moving to a better ground for a lot of super league teams is location, Wakefield and cas being prime examples. Where would they move to if they had to? Featherstone is the closest but I can't see Wakefield, who struggle to get fans anyway, having masses of fans who would commit to going to Featherstone on a Thursday night. Fevs ground isn't really big enough for cas either. Dewsbury and batley clearly not good enough quality for Wakefield and the closest places to cas are Leeds and donny.

If you're looking for grounds that meet regulations you're gonna end up with wakey at fev with no one going or in Huddersfield sharing with a super league team and a Premier league football team or in Barnsley which is about same distance as Huddersfield. And you'll have cas playing in fev which isnt big enough for them or donny. As I say, they're quite far away from any good quality grounds. 

4 hours ago, kiyan said:

Is that an option in RL?

Rather than try and enforce a minimum ( and regulate clubs) You set a standard:

1. TV Facilities
  2. Disabled access
  3. seating ( v average crowd)
  4. corporate
  5. etc

And the  clubs  who fail to meet the standards are fined £millions.

It would set a standard achievable , and force some clubs who do not comply to either decide to pay the fine or sort out a new/upgraded ground.

Already happening. Trinity having a percentage of their SL tv deal withheld as a punitive measure for a substandard ground.

10 hours ago, M j M said:

Headingley's North Stand, from the webcam today.

image.thumb.png.05421a00d24524742bb955a6abacf766.png

The more I see of it the more I think that the Rhino's have got the sh**y end of the stick there. I know that the stand was rebuilt to bring the cricket side upto future requirements and funding may have come from that area but apart from a roof that serves no purpose the sightlines are poor, the depth is shallow, the capacity is reduced I believe and the sun will cause problems unless you get a sunshade or sunglasses as part of your ticket.

As I mused before if that is the 'Best' stand and priced accordingly I wouldn't be best pleased.

10 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

The more I see of it the more I think that the Rhino's have got the sh**y end of the stick there. I know that the stand was rebuilt to bring the cricket side upto future requirements and funding may have come from that area but apart from a roof that serves no purpose the sightlines are poor, the depth is shallow, the capacity is reduced I believe and the sun will cause problems unless you get a sunshade or sunglasses as part of your ticket.

As I mused before if that is the 'Best' stand and priced accordingly I wouldn't be best pleased.

Why do you say the sightlines are poor from that stand? A steeper stand (which that looks) gives better views imo, a bit like Wigan.

8 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Given your experience of watching a game from the new stand, any particular blocks of seats where the sight lines are good or all equally poor?

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

By depth and sightlines I meant how far back the top row of seats are, the old stand was set further back and was higher which as you say gives you a better view, granted there are no pillars to obstruct the view, but the number of seats are reduced. The seats that were added onto the old paddock terracing were very rarely sold out due to the view and weather protection, does that look to have improved much? As I said the Rhino's look to have been given a reduced area with which to do the best they can. By the way, I sneaked in one night and tried every single seat position out to compile a in-depth report which I will get my Nigerian cousin to send to you for the special price of £250.00, just send me the money asap?

1 hour ago, Clogiron said:

As I said the Rhino's look to have been given a reduced area with which to do the best they can.

Whilst I have similar views in some respects I think what's there will be fine on a sunny day. We've requested seats as far back as possible to hopefully stay undercover if there's a driving rain (which is rare in sunny Leeds).

However what you say above isn't really true. Leeds haven't been "given" anything. They've chosen to sacrifice seats for the double decker corporate heaven which is wedged in the middle. It will be an amazing place for corporates, will make Leeds loads of money but is unsatisfactory in terms of capacity and how the stand looks and works.

On 12/26/2018 at 5:26 PM, DoubleD said:

What happened with the plans for a new Whitehaven stadium which was meant to be done for the last World Cup? 

They ballsed it right up, luckily Workington Town were on hand to save the day....

Archived