New Grounds.

13 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Stunning business acumen form the Wakefield board when they could have bought it for a 1/10th of the price a few years ago.....     

If you care to spend a couple of quid the true figures are there for all to see on the land registry website.

As far as I recall the ground and the super bowl site were owned by separate people but m88 bought both for a combined fee of around 1.6 m . He had legal costs and also site reclamation costs with the superbowl. Let's say this pushed it up to £2m

They loan figure suggests to me that the purchase price would be £3m and the other bit is legal costs. So all in all m88 will have made around £1m profit. Myself and the rest of the people of WMD should remember that a certain person called Walker obviously gave everyone bad advice when he told the club not to buy back the ground as he was sure yorkcourt would do it. Pity they listened to him.

So there you are it's only a loan. So will have to be repaid. Then there is also the major problem of financing an upgrade.

Yorkcourt willnot give a penny, they are people that should not be trusted. However the real villains are Walker who was the middle man in all this mess along with wmdc who failed miserably in their public duty in interpreting and enforcing the planning process that is the fiasco at newmarket.

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

If you care to spend a couple of quid the true figures are there for all to see on the land registry website.

As far as I recall the ground and the super bowl site were owned by separate people but m88 bought both for a combined fee of around 1.6 m . He had legal costs and also site reclamation costs with the superbowl. Let's say this pushed it up to £2m

They loan figure suggests to me that the purchase price would be £3m and the other bit is legal costs. So all in all m88 will have made around £1m profit. Myself and the rest of the people of WMD should remember that a certain person called Walker obviously gave everyone bad advice when he told the club not to buy back the ground as he was sure yorkcourt would do it. Pity they listened to him.

So there you are it's only a loan. So will have to be repaid. Then there is also the major problem of financing an upgrade.

Yorkcourt willnot give a penny, they are people that should not be trusted. However the real villains are Walker who was the middle man in all this mess along with wmdc who failed miserably in their public duty in interpreting and enforcing the planning process that is the fiasco at newmarket.

I wondered if the knight in not so shining armour will profit from this.

This all asks more questions than it answers at the moment so I suppose we'll just have to hold on and wait for the plans. I can't see how Wakefield would fund anything too dramatic but at the very minimum they need a new main stand, possibly with corporate facilities and the terraces could be modernised relatively cheaply.

2 hours ago, fevtom said:

This all asks more questions than it answers at the moment so I suppose we'll just have to hold on and wait for the plans. I can't see how Wakefield would fund anything too dramatic but at the very minimum they need a new main stand, possibly with corporate facilities and the terraces could be modernised relatively cheaply.

Can’t see it being the 19m stadium we were promised by the developer.  I reckon 7-8 capacity fit for purpose meeting SL standards.  The old super bowl site is included in purchase so don’t know what the plans will be.

24 minutes ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

Can’t see it being the 19m stadium we were promised by the developer.  I reckon 7-8 capacity fit for purpose meeting SL standards.  The old super bowl site is included in purchase so don’t know what the plans will be.

Yes the fact the superbowl site is also included gives you quite a large block of land. However money is the key and without any we are shafted. 

No one has any proof of wrongdoing, collusion or betrayal by Sir Rodney Walker, if you disagree then let’s see it!

All we’ve had is hearsay from members of the trust and club who disagreed with him on how to act and who have blamed him without offering anything but anecdotal evidence. People on here & other social media are vilifying Walker and all they’ve got to go on is rumour and a bit of he said she said.

Like him or not Sir Rodney Walker has been a lifelong supporter of Trinity, he has bailed them out financially and saved them from insolvency more than once. Some Wakefield fans have short memories and shallow loyalties!

So if Wakey own the stadium and surrounding land, then the surrounding land can be developed to fund the stadium? Yorkcourt wanted to develop the surrounding land, so hopefully a more principled one might be willing to stump up? 

My reading of this is it’s good for Wakefield. Instead of being a tenant and hoping to get the tenancy they wanted from the Council following the development from a developer they couldn’t trust, they can own a stadium built by a developer they can negotiate with directly?

2 hours ago, OMEGA said:

No one has any proof of wrongdoing, collusion or betrayal by Sir Rodney Walker, if you disagree then let’s see it!

All we’ve had is hearsay from members of the trust and club who disagreed with him on how to act and who have blamed him without offering anything but anecdotal evidence. People on here & other social media are vilifying Walker and all they’ve got to go on is rumour and a bit of he said she said.

Like him or not Sir Rodney Walker has been a lifelong supporter of Trinity, he has bailed them out financially and saved them from insolvency more than once. Some Wakefield fans have short memories and shallow loyalties!

Having spoken to members of the trust and club, I know who I believe. You choose to do otherwise, that's up to you.

1 hour ago, Eleftherios said:

Having spoken to members of the trust and club, I know who I believe. You choose to do otherwise, that's up to you.

My point exactly!

You’ve heard one side of the story, their view only and yet you’re willing to publicly condemn a man who has stood by the club for many decades.

What evidence have you seen?

3 hours ago, OMEGA said:

Well I know Carter has stated that he was told not to buy the ground by Walker. At the time it was for sale much less than the current price being quoted. Is Carter lying ?

If he is not please tell me how Walker comes out of that in a good light

Wakefield don’t necessarily need to build a whole new ground, they just need a whole new main stand with a higher capacity, proper media facilities, proper corporate facilities and a gantry that will improve Sky’s coverage.

The stand behind the goals (though not perfect) will suffice as an away end, a covered terrace is pretty much standard. They could perhaps look at developing the other touchline further down the line.

Priority should be a stand similar to the main stand at Salford replacing the current main stand. They need to make the redevelopment manageable and achievable, I don’t think knocking everything down and starting again is achievable.

4 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Doesn't that back directly onto housing and a public right of way? (Basically the same problem that Headingley has at the Western Terrace)

Doesn’t need to be anything spectacular. Just a small covered terrace would be absolutely fine. 

Like I said, the main thing is getting the right facilities in the main stand. A corporate experience worth paying for, great media facilities (they’re the worst i’ve Ever been to at Belle Vue), New changing facilities.

Having 4 world class stands isn’t necessarily what’s needed here for the long term.

12 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Well I know Carter has stated that he was told not to buy the ground by Walker. At the time it was for sale much less than the current price being quoted. Is Carter lying ?

If he is not please tell me how Walker comes out of that in a good light

Maybe he’s lying maybe he isn’t, I suspect he isn’t!

Maybe Walkers plan was gazumped by the late offer by Manni Hussain, that however does not make Walker a villain unless you beleive the conspiracies put forward by the club to protect themselves from blame. Conspiracies that as yet there is no evidence of other than hearsay and unfounded speculation.

If he was serious about it then Carter should have bought the land and left no doubt about it. I suspect he was never seriously in the frame to buy it as he doesn’t have the money to do so, Walkers advice seems a convenient excuse.

I’m not pro or anti either way but I don’t deal in rainbows & unicorns and I don’t just swallow every line and every word that certain parties say.

I ask you this, Why would a very wealthy man who enjoys a good reputation amongst Wakefield Trinity fans, who has supported the club for 7 decades, who, more than a few times,  has used his own money to bail out the club and save it from insolvency, who has funded the signing of a number of players suddenly betray the club in the fashion being suggested. It doesn’t add up

14 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Maybe he’s lying maybe he isn’t, I suspect he isn’t!

Maybe Walkers plan was gazumped by the late offer by Manni Hussain, that however does not make Walker a villain unless you beleive the conspiracies put forward by the club to protect themselves from blame. Conspiracies that as yet there is no evidence of other than hearsay and unfounded speculation.

If he was serious about it then Carter should have bought the land and left no doubt about it. I suspect he was never seriously in the frame to buy it as he doesn’t have the money to do so, Walkers advice seems a convenient excuse.

I’m not pro or anti either way but I don’t deal in rainbows & unicorns and I don’t just swallow every line and every word that certain parties say.

I ask you this, Why would a very wealthy man who enjoys a good reputation amongst Wakefield Trinity fans, who has supported the club for 7 decades, who, more than a few times,  has used his own money to bail out the club and save it from insolvency, who has funded the signing of a number of players suddenly betray the club in the fashion being suggested. It doesn’t add up

I'll be honest you're the first person I've heard sticking up for Walker in a long time. The club, the original Trust & SWAG etc all blame him for telling the club not to bid on Belle Vue prior to Manni Hussain buying it, for the Newcold development to be outside of the 106 agreement as well as attempting to set up a rival Trust. He's never been shy of blowing his own trumpet with regard to his achievements but unless I've missed it I've not heard him give his side of the story to refute these allegations. You are right, he has helped the club on a number of occasions out of his own pocket & perhaps this was his opportunity to recoup some of his outlay? 

2 minutes ago, Morris Wanchuk said:

I'll be honest you're the first person I've heard sticking up for Walker in a long time. The club, the original Trust & SWAG etc all blame him for telling the club not to bid on Belle Vue prior to Manni Hussain buying it, for the Newcold development to be outside of the 106 agreement as well as attempting to set up a rival Trust. He's never been shy of blowing his own trumpet with regard to his achievements but unless I've missed it I've not heard him give his side of the story to refute these allegations. You are right, he has helped the club on a number of occasions out of his own pocket & perhaps this was his opportunity to recoup some of his outlay? 

On this, The club, the original trust & SWAG are all one and the same.

I have nothing but admiration for the original trust members, I don’t doubt their sincerity at all, SWAG are not involved anymore really, the trust took their place.

I have no doubt that Walker had a plan, where I differ from others is that I don’t beleive for a second that his plan was to work AGAINST achieving a new stadium. He’s been operating in these circles for decades and maybe he believed his plan had more chance of being successful, let’s face it up to press Carters approach has been a complete failure. We’ll have to see what comes of the latest news but I attribute any success to the Trusts tenacity.

8 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

I have nothing but admiration for the original trust members, I don’t doubt their sincerity at all, SWAG are not involved anymore really, the trust took their place.

I have no doubt that Walker had a plan, where I differ from others is that I don’t beleive for a second that his plan was to work AGAINST achieving a new stadium. He’s been operating in these circles for decades and maybe he believed his plan had more chance of being successful, let’s face it up to press Carters approach has been a complete failure. We’ll have to see what comes of the latest news but I attribute any success to the Trusts tenacity.

Well I would be interested to hear how you come to the conclusion that Carter has been a complete failure ?

This whole mess started to go wrong when Walker had his secret meeting and agreed that newcold should stand outside the trigger point.  

As far as the belle vue purchase is concerned the facts as stated by Carter have been corroborated to myself by other members of the trust and other club directors. Carter and the trust have done a great job fighting unsurmountable odds.they are the last persons to be blamed for this fiasco.

7 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Sorry when I said the original trust I was differentiating between them and the trust Walker was allegedly gonna set up. But it's the trust who are laying the blame at Walkers door for a number of issues, certainly in assisting Yorkcourt, whether by design or accident. As for Mr Carter, he's done enough for me to have built up a large amount of goodwill.

Agreed though, without the trust we'd be nowhere!

5 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Correct, but that is the present trust. However we only started to see signs of progress when Walker walked

How have you heard anything with regard to funding any redevelopment? In a recent interview on 'by the balls' MC still talked about the developer providing funds.

1 minute ago, Morris Wanchuk said:

How have you heard anything with regard to funding any redevelopment? In a recent interview on 'by the balls' MC still talked about the developer providing funds.

That's the plan, but remember who they are dealing with. So far he has done everything he can to avoid paying anything. His letter from his lawyer on the planning portal clearly states his intention.

35 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Well I would be interested to hear how you come to the conclusion that Carter has been a complete failure ?

This whole mess started to go wrong when Walker had his secret meeting and agreed that newcold should stand outside the trigger point.  

As far as the belle vue purchase is concerned the facts as stated by Carter have been corroborated to myself by other members of the trust and other club directors. Carter and the trust have done a great job fighting unsurmountable odds.they are the last persons to be blamed for this fiasco.

With regard to the provision of a new stadium can you tell me where Carter has been a success?

There was a lot of progress made by the trust before Walker left, i.e. 15,000 signatures and the forcing of a Public Inquiry. What progress has been made since he left?

44 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Correct, but that is the present trust. However we only started to see signs of progress when Walker walked

It’s the same trust, Walker resigned as a Chairman and left with a new Chairman voted in but it’s the same trust!

Archived