New Grounds.

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I do like these seat 'patterns' that they have in OZ, wonder why we don't do similar here?

Because our stadiums cost hundreds of millions of $$$ and they want to give it a nice finish. This stadium cost £190m. In comparison St Helens cost only £25m for only slightly less capacity.

I still don’t know how you guys in the UK can build stadiums for so much less than we can. The prospect of clubs owning their own grounds here is remote at best

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, goldcoaster said:

Because our stadiums cost hundreds of millions of $$$ and they want to give it a nice finish. This stadium cost £190m. In comparison St Helens cost only £25m for only slightly less capacity.

I still don’t know how you guys in the UK can build stadiums for so much less than we can. The prospect of clubs owning their own grounds here is remote at best

Saints stadium does seem to be very cheap - because I certainly don't think anybody in the UK considers that to be the case generally. Granted these are much higher capacities but Tottenham's new ground just cost £850m and Wembley was over a billion in today's money. Looking at a stadium with a similar capacity to Parmatta's, Coventry City/Wasps Ricoh Arena was £113m back in 2005 (Around £175m in today's money) so yeah, I don't think Saints stadium is anything special, but certainly got value for money there IMO. 

48 minutes ago, goldcoaster said:

I am talking about our stadiums in general, not just RL grounds. 

59 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I do like these seat 'patterns' that they have in OZ, wonder why we don't do similar here?

I think York's stadium will have similar seat patterns to those in Australia. Red, white and amber if I recall correctly.

Minä rakastan rugbyliigaa!

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I am talking about our stadiums in general, not just RL grounds. 

My instinctive response is that in the UK we have a lot less purpose built groundshares, and where we do the seat colours tend to reflect the teams that use the stadium. Most clubs play in their own grounds though and as such use seats that make the stadium iconically 'theirs' and to stamp their identity on it. Only stadium in England I can think of with a design like the above is the one main stand at Saracens' ground.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

My instinctive response is that in the UK we have a lot less purpose built groundshares, and where we do the seat colours tend to reflect the teams that use the stadium. Most clubs play in their own grounds though and as such use seats that make the stadium iconically 'theirs' and to stamp their identity on it. Only stadium in England I can think of with a design like the above is the one main stand at Saracens' ground.

Yeah, perhaps, I'm thinking about the likes of Arsenal, which is a beautiful looking stadium, but with just huge plain banks of red seats, as does Wembley.

Arsenal could do this with red and white, City with blue and white etc.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Yeah, perhaps, I'm thinking about the likes of Arsenal, which is a beautiful looking stadium, but with just huge plain banks of red seats, as does Wembley.

Yeah undoubtedly darker coloured seats stand out less than lighter coloured ones. Spurs' new ground springs to mind. I've also noticed that the new seats at Headingley, both in the North and South stands, are distinctly darker than previously. 

I still like the idea of having the teams colours in the stadium, as the one thing I would say about the new Parra ground is that it looks great, but doesn't exactly scream Parra (or indeed anything) from the inside.

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It can look good having a seating colour pattern but then I look at Spurs new ground and think it looks very striking all being the same colour. 

image.png.56a6c623dab6bb629ddad7433d5bf025.png

1 minute ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

It can look good having a seating colour pattern but then I look at Spurs new ground and think it looks very striking all being the same colour. 

image.png.56a6c623dab6bb629ddad7433d5bf025.png

The Spurs stadium does look amazing, and as you say, very striking. I must admit, I think the seats are all black so that they can add a sponsor in when they get one.

2 hours ago, Balmain1969 said:

Not in England but RL related, pics of the new Parramatta Stadium to be opened Easter Monday with Eels v Tigers

image.png

D16o9IfVAAAMc2i.thumb.jpg.812e7dda7083f6bbb152c8c5f6f370c4.jpg

CCB26553-1761-4382-BEB7-B73E111BD54E.jpeg

What a beauty - hope to get there one day.  Enjoyed the old ground, I'd say still better than a few over here

3 hours ago, goldcoaster said:

Why would you see that as an issue when the state/federal government decide to rebuild them for you every 20-30 years? ?

46 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Is the reason stadiums have those random patterns to essentially break up big empty areas and make it look fuller? 

I think it is one of the benefits yes.

13 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I still like the idea of having the teams colours in the stadium, as the one thing I would say about the new Parra ground is that it looks great, but doesn't exactly scream Parra (or indeed anything) from the inside.

That is because Parra are not the only tenant. The football club Western Sydney Wanderers (which draw bigger crowds than Parra) are also tenants and their colours are red and black.

interestingly, this new stadium is fitted with safe standing in the ‘home end’. It will be the first major stadium over here with that in place.

7 hours ago, goldcoaster said:

That is because Parra are not the only tenant. The football club Western Sydney Wanderers (which draw bigger crowds than Parra) are also tenants and their colours are red and black.

interestingly, this new stadium is fitted with safe standing in the ‘home end’. It will be the first major stadium over here with that in place.

Yeah I know I said earlier its difficult to decide what to do with the interior for purpose built ground shares to make it seem like 'home'. By the looks of it they'll have lights and screens that will reflect the team that's playing there on the day.

Its interesting to see that there's safe standing too. I think the NRL could learn from the A League about how their fans create an atmosphere.

• 2 weeks later...

Chairman Jon Flatman has revealed (this week, to a fans forum) York City Knights plan to play their first game at the new Community Stadium "at Christmas, in pre-season". The stadium is scheduled for completion by autumn. Flatman announced also York will "in the next few months" unveil a blue heritage plaque at the site - now flats - of the original club's former Clarence Street ground, which staged its last game in 1989.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived