New Grounds.

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Leyther_Matt said:

Can’t help thinking that the cricket got the better side of the deal. 

Yup, that's been my beef with this development all along - the RL capacity has been sacrificed to make space for yet more corporate (not so much make space for cricket as they've just built out the other side up to the boundary which was effectively wasted space before). But the cricket does bring in huge income on the few days that big events come to town - e.g. one of the RL boxes is priced at for £30k for a season of RL. The same box (i.e. facing the RL pitch so just a retreat to go to during breaks in play) for the cricket Ashes test is priced at for £17k for 4 days.

Also need to bear in mind when comparing the roof lines of the joint stand is that the RL pitch is quite notably lower than the cricket one so it's not that much smaller in stature in reality.

On 08/05/2018 at 02:55, The Future is League said:

There was a rumour that the RFL were going to move lock stock and barrel to Odsal and do the ground up with EU funding, but that plan went South when the country voted to leave the EU.

There was a rumour that they would move all operations to part of the Etihad complex in Manchester. Ready made 21st century facilities.

8 hours ago, M j M said:

Yup, that's been my beef with this development all along - the RL capacity has been sacrificed to make space for yet more corporate (not so much make space for cricket as they've just built out the other side up to the boundary which was effectively wasted space before). But the cricket does bring in huge income on the few days that big events come to town - e.g. one of the RL boxes is priced at for £30k for a season of RL. The same box (i.e. facing the RL pitch so just a retreat to go to during breaks in play) for the cricket Ashes test is priced at for £17k for 4 days.

Also need to bear in mind when comparing the roof lines of the joint stand is that the RL pitch is quite notably lower than the cricket one so it's not that much smaller in stature in reality.

Lets hope we can get the fans back in. Crowds at 11k are quite worrying.

17 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Can’t help thinking that the cricket got the better side of the deal. 

LCC didnt want the City to Lose Test Cricket  Same way they gave planning permission for that large over baring monstrous building opposite, I think its called the media centre.,but Leeds RL had to modify their plans for the south stand because of objections and of course the western terrace, but they overruled objections of the large eyesore on Kirkstall Lane 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

16 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

LCC didnt want the City to Lose Test Cricket  Same way they gave planning permission for that large over baring monstrous building opposite, I think its called the media centre.,but Leeds RL had to modify their plans for the south stand because of objections and of course the western terrace, but they overruled objections of the large eyesore on Kirkstall Lane 

Isnt there plans to stick a roof on the rest of the seating at the cricket ground aswell? Might be wrong but thought I'd seen that somewhere. 

42 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

To be fair they gave permission for the Carnegie Stand on the RL ground which was quite shocking change at the time. The south stand as built is significantly larger than the stand turned down a few years back.

Approval for the shared stand was never likely to be contentious given its location.

15 minutes ago, M j M said:

To be fair they gave permission for the Carnegie Stand on the RL ground which was quite shocking change at the time. The south stand as built is significantly larger than the stand turned down a few years back.

Approval for the shared stand was never likely to be contentious given its location.

I was referring to the large Media centre at the Kirkstall end complaints of it being not in keeping with the Character of the local architecture and  either being too tall 

FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

17 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Hope Leeds do something with the interior of the stands instead of it being bare brick, hopefully get some images of Rhinos and Yorkshire CCC in each stand

I imagine that's what they'll do. I think they've already done that in the new South Stand 

1 hour ago, Gav Wilson said:

York May 19. Grass seeds have been sowed, next is the stitching of the carpet in a few weeks time...

Stadium May '19.jpeg

Stadium May 19.jpeg

The City of York has so much SL potential 

On 01/05/2019 at 17:36, Mr Plow said:

Hope Leeds do something with the interior of the stands instead of it being bare brick, hopefully get some images of Rhinos and Yorkshire CCC in each stand

GH has stated that all the inductees to the Club Hall of Fame will be on display. I wonder what the plans are for that 

JAMIE PEACOCK

Considering the level that both the cities sports teams are playing at this is a really nice ground. A city the size of York should really have bigger long term ambitions but that would be dependant on the football teams success.

4 hours ago, fevtom said:

Considering the level that both the cities sports teams are playing at this is a really nice ground. A city the size of York should really have bigger long term ambitions but that would be dependant on the football teams success.

I reckon that even if York City FC were playing in the Premier League we'd struggle to get 8,000 in on a regular basis...

In seriousness, if YCFC were a League 1 club, which is realistically about as high as we could expect to get, I think we might get close to the 8,000 capacity for some games against relatively big local sides, but would we really need to expand the ground? In any case, right now that's three promotions away and what's more they don't look anywhere near making the first of those.

27 minutes ago, wilsontown said:

I reckon that even if York City FC were playing in the Premier League we'd struggle to get 8,000 in on a regular basis...

In seriousness, if YCFC were a League 1 club, which is realistically about as high as we could expect to get, I think we might get close to the 8,000 capacity for some games against relatively big local sides, but would we really need to expand the ground? In any case, right now that's three promotions away and what's more they don't look anywhere near making the first of those.

You're probably right. I think if York City were in the Championship then they might fancy a couple more thousand but realistically 8000 is much larger than both will probably ever need.

I was just thinking how strange it is that a decent sized and famous city has never had the need for a bigger stadium.

21 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

York May 19. Grass seeds have been sowed, next is the stitching of the carpet in a few weeks time...

To be honest, probably cheaper to buy one ready-made from CarpetRight or something.   Linoleum might be better though, as I cannot see thousands of RL fans taking their shoes off every time they go to get a beer in the concourse ? which is what I would be asking them to do in my new ground.

21 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

Stadium May '19.jpeg

Stadium May 19.jpeg

I really hope the muppets on Salford CC see this, and give Swinton a better view than last time

Looks to me like Leeds are struggling to shift tickets for the north stand opening game against Cas a week today. Plenty of availability all around the ground including the new stand which would be a bit embarrassing. Today they've taken large chunks of the, unsold as of yesterday, wing bits of that stand off sale which may mean they've decided to give them away to schools or something to save the red faces. 

Still plenty left in the other blocks though if you fancy sitting in Rugby League's most expensive stand (measured as cost to build per seat) on opening night and to witness the start of the hugely successful Agar Era ? .

This has probably been answered somewhere in a different thread, so I apologise but:

What is the reason for the mish-mash of multi-coloured seating at York?   Is it intentional or just a case of purchasing second hand seats and reusing them to save costs?   Reminds me of a box of mixed random Lego pieces.

I think it looks fine though - just different.

11 hours ago, M j M said:

Looks to me like Leeds are struggling to shift tickets for the north stand opening game against Cas a week today. Plenty of availability all around the ground including the new stand which would be a bit embarrassing. Today they've taken large chunks of the, unsold as of yesterday, wing bits of that stand off sale which may mean they've decided to give them away to schools or something to save the red faces. 

Still plenty left in the other blocks though if you fancy sitting in Rugby League's most expensive stand (measured as cost to build per seat) on opening night and to witness the start of the hugely successful Agar Era ? .

I was out of the cou try since 2009 back permanent before start of season .So I had to go on waiting list for a seat while Development was taking place .I've stood up for 3 games ,but my old knees etc cant stand it .I'm still waiting for the club to contact me personally informing me I can now upgrade to a seat .Anywhere I'll take it.Not just a link offering  e a seat in one game .

JAMIE PEACOCK

1 hour ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

I was out of the cou try since 2009 back permanent before start of season .So I had to go on waiting list for a seat while Development was taking place .I've stood up for 3 games ,but my old knees etc cant stand it .I'm still waiting for the club to contact me personally informing me I can now upgrade to a seat .Anywhere I'll take it.Not just a link offering  e a seat in one game .

That's not too surprising tbh based on my experience with the Leeds ticket office. The retail side of the business always seems to be a bit of an underperformer. We have a group of five seats and none of us have yet received the new cards which are supposed to be coming to us to get us into the new stand next Thursday.

10 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

This has probably been answered somewhere in a different thread, so I apologise but:

What is the reason for the mish-mash of multi-coloured seating at York?   Is it intentional or just a case of purchasing second hand seats and reusing them to save costs?   Reminds me of a box of mixed random Lego pieces.

As far as I know it is essentially to break up blocks of colour when seats aren't occupied. Stadium would look emptier if there was big patches of solid red say as opposed to the lego pieces. 

10 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I believe it's been done by design, it's much more common in other countries.

I'm not too fond of it usually but I can't think of any other stadium in England that uses this kind of design so it gives the ground some character.

Archived