Eurovision!

Busy week for me this week so I'll be watching the final unblemished by any glimpses of the knock out rounds.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I love Eurovision. I was in Copenhagen when they hosted it (couldn’t get tickets though) and the atmosphere in the city was phenomenal. 

My mum thinks Brexit will mean we can’t be in Eurovision anymore without figuring that Australia, Russia, Israel aren’t in Europe either. That said I think she’s still bitter about Cliff losing all those years ago. 

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Never got Eurovision, always seems voting is a farce. I’ll be staying well clear. 

If it’s your cup of tea hope it’s a good year

A cup of tea will never do; several glasses of something more potent, and Eurovision becomes very entertaining. Plus, another forum I'm on has an annual sweepstake, which I am in.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, RidingPie said:

I think she’s still bitter about Cliff losing all those years ago. 

with moves like these how could he have lost?

It was clearly a fix

Brilliant this ... top quality acts , great British entrants destined for stardom and longevity , hilarious commentary by likeable presenter and totally neutral above board voting purely on the merits of the songs . Can’t whack it 

12 hours ago, John Drake said:

Forget Brexit for a while... at least we're still in Eurovision! :music:

Here... she's not that bad really.  Doesn't seem to have received the memo about the standards, or lack thereof, required for representing Britain though, didn't embarrass us in the slightest...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I Love Eurovision.

I watched last nights semi final & I will be watching tomorrows, although on Saturday I may miss the final for the first time in 20+ years because I have a friend coming over for a pi** up from London. I don't have the ability to record via Sky, so I am devastated that she chose this weekend to visit.

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

I Love Eurovision.

I watched last nights semi final & I will be watching tomorrows, although on Saturday I may miss the final for the first time in 20+ years because I have a friend coming over for a pi** up from London. I don't have the ability to record via Sky, so I am devastated that she chose this weekend to visit.

Is it on a terrestrial channel?  If so, it should be on one of their online catch-up services.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

6 hours ago, Shadow said:

with moves like these how could he have lost?

It was clearly a fix

It was a close competition that year. Cliff was third just 6 points behind the winner, Luxembourg, which had a strong song and home advantage also.

When I was growing up and there was only 4 channels and you had to watch stuff like this i just recall Bucks Fizz and Johnny Logan . And terry wogan taking the pi$$ which was probably the best bit . I think the last one I watched Celine Dion won , strangely enough

On 09/05/2018 at 6:21 PM, DavidM said:

When I was growing up and there was only 4 channels and you had to watch stuff like this i just recall Bucks Fizz and Johnny Logan . And terry wogan taking the pi$$ which was probably the best bit . I think the last one I watched Celine Dion won , strangely enough

It doesn't matter where the performers are from, although home talent* is the norm. It is, ostensibly, a song contest, not a singing contest.

*GB has had Gina G (Australian), Katrina & the Waves (USA/Germany) and Cliff (born in India).

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

It doesn't matter where the performers are from, although home talent* is the norm. It is, ostensibly, a song contest, not a singing contest.

*GB has had Gina G (Australian), Katrina & the Waves (USA/Germany) and Cliff (born in India).

not to forget

Olivia Newton John - Australian
The New Seekers - Australian ish 

Going to a Eurovision party on Saturday. The more you put into watching Eurovision, the better the experience! I drew France this year. How stereotypical should my fancy dress be? ;)

PS Watching with the subtitles on is a joy! :rofl:

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

On 09/05/2018 at 12:49 PM, ckn said:

Is it on a terrestrial channel?  If so, it should be on one of their online catch-up services.

If I had internet, that would help. I am currently using one of the employment agencies computer in Hastings TC

I really enjoy Eurovision, you just have to take the usual shenanigans with a pinch of salt. 

It's a bit like the World Cup for me, it used to be mostly about seeing us win but once you let that go (we are currently 200-1) it is enjoyable for other reasons. I still enjoy sitting down with the family, scoring the acts and finding out what everyone thinks at the end. 

If there's one modern annoyance is that you almost know the winner beforehand. They tend to hype up one or two acts (that often don't stand out) and these become the winners. Unlike in sport, I think people are influenced by who the favourite is and it gets its own momentum. 

Salvador Sobral was a real left-field winner last year. I didn't watch all of the semi-finals, but it'll be interesting to see if anyone tries to replicate his style this year.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hello, Slovenia :giveheart:

Oh until the song starts :negative:

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Catarina Furtado (the presenter with half a dress) seems like a nice lady :)

The Estonian lady has an amazing voice, song didn't suit it though in essentially a pop contest.

Well done to SuRie for carrying on after that.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Archived