Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

10-13 May: Ladbrokes Challenge Cup - Sixth Round Match Thread

Which game are you most interested in?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Which game are you most interested in?

• Featherstone Rovers v Hull FC
    • Huddersfield Giants v Wakefield Trinity
    • Leigh Centurions v Salford Red Devils
    • Widnes Vikings v Leeds Rhinos
    • Catalans Dragons v Whitehaven
    • Castleford Tigers v St Helens
    • Hull Kingston Rovers v Wigan Warriors
    • Toronto Wolfpack v Warrington Wolves

18 hours ago, JohnM said:

Leigh v Salford. I trust that it won't be a repeat of last nights game. Two teams aspriring to SL status, one already there and hoping to remai, the other certain of SL2 but aiming at SL1.. The ref might be advised to visit both changing rooms before the match and warn the tesms. Shame Eric Clay isn't around.

Your observations and opinion again leave you somewhat with egg on your face.

Edited by SL17

Decent effort from Widnes last night, but in the grand scheme of things doesn’t really matter. No good putting in performances like last night (and against Wigan the other week) only to be rubbish against relegation rivals such as Huddersfield

The fans have already abandoned the team 1800 is pitiful. Betts made a few comments last night about it that probably will rile the stayaways even more

l thought Leeds were a bit off the pace last night. We had few chances in the opening hour of the game but converted them into tries. There were a few occasions where Leeds were taking the safe option, instead of going for the kill. That said they got the win which is all that is required in the cup. Good luck in the next round

One thing I liked most about the game was the ruck was pretty clean all night. It was good to see two teams just playing rugby (albeit quite conservative) , and not going after penalties all the time. It can be done 

4 hours ago, SL17 said:

Your observations and opinion again leave you somewhat with egg on your face.

English comprehension not your strongpoint, it seems.

Four legs good - two legs bad

11 hours ago, snapski said:

Wish the Leigh fans would concentrate on supporting what is a very good team, instead of booing nearly every decision, the ref isn’t going to change his mind because of you.

With you 100% on that comment snapski and I am one of those who stand in the middle of it on the popular end at the LSV, I spend a lot of time interpreting the referees decision for those who only see their own teams colours, but please give me an example of any club who's supporters are not of the same ilk and collectivley boo nearly every decision that goes against them?

• Like 2

Wakefield bombed too many chances in a dominant 1st half but had a 20 minute period in the 2nd when they couldn't even buy a 50:50 decision.  Many repeat sets for Shudds eventually took it's toll. 

Similar to our Cup loss at Salford last year.  Unfortunately for the fans, the coaching staff have no enthusiasm for cup.  Magically back up to full strength for Magic Weekend I would guess.

I thought the crowd was announced as 2,300?  Very good following from Wakefield so the rest of the ground looked like it was an hour before kick-off throughout.   Shudds players had to run over to the Wakey fans to celebrate their scores as it was the only real clump of people.   

Edited by Wollo Wollo Wayoo
  • Like 1

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

Decent effort from Widnes last night, but in the grand scheme of things doesn’t really matter. No good putting in performances like last night (and against Wigan the other week) only to be rubbish against relegation rivals such as Huddersfield

The fans have already abandoned the team 1800 is pitiful. Betts made a few comments last night about it that probably will rile the stayaways even more

l thought Leeds were a bit off the pace last night. We had few chances in the opening hour of the game but converted them into tries. There were a few occasions where Leeds were taking the safe option, instead of going for the kill. That said they got the win which is all that is required in the cup. Good luck in the next round

One thing I liked most about the game was the ruck was pretty clean all night. It was good to see two teams just playing rugby (albeit quite conservative) , and not going after penalties all the time. It can be done 

What do you think the club can do to entice fans back (other than signing someone like JT or GI)..............or do you think the decline is irreversible?

Rather sad to see such an iconic side dwindling in support as it may get to the stage whereby they’re not even sustainable enough for SL, even with their excellent youth system

10 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

Thoroughly enjoyed that game. Currently savouring every game that we can keep hold of Mata'utia, the guy is box office.

Yeh he looks a handful

11 minutes ago, chuffer said:

Yeh he looks a handful

I would say that he is probably the best signing Leigh have made for a good number of years, most certainly since the intoduction of the summer era, he oozes class and it is difficult to see any faults in his make-up, granted we are watching him perform in the Championship other than SL, but I do not think that transition would cause him any problems, pity is we could not keep Bryson Goodwin to play alongside him. 

24 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

What do you think the club can do to entice fans back (other than signing someone like JT or GI)..............or do you think the decline is irreversible?

Rather sad to see such an iconic side dwindling in support as it may get to the stage whereby they’re not even sustainable enough for SL, even with their excellent youth system

I really don’t know anymore. I’m the wrong person to entice as I’ll be there regardless. 

The general concencus is the fans don’t seem to like the CEO or coach. Now for the CEO to leave somebody needs to either buy him out (as he owns a share of the company) or he leaves and takes the money out of the club - which would probably see us on the brink of going under. 

I do think Betts has done well with the money at his disposal but that’s only one part. Our game plan is predictable, so is his team selections. We have a lot of young lads knocking on the door who have proven themselves worthy. But as soon as established players become available they go straight in. 

He either needs to change these philosophies to get some of the crowd back onside (probably too late for this) or move on. That may provide a bit of an uplift in crowds but the new coach will need some good results and quickly. 

The downward spiral has been going on for a few seasons. We started like a house on fire a couple of years back and had a top of the table clash at a sold out Warrington. We took more fans there than attended the last two challenge cup games at home. As soon as Warrington beat us that day the rot set in 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I really don’t know anymore. I’m the wrong person to entice as I’ll be there regardless. 

The general concencus is the fans don’t seem to like the CEO or coach. Now for the CEO to leave somebody needs to either buy him out (as he owns a share of the company) or he leaves and takes the money out of the club - which would probably see us on the brink of going under. 

I do think Betts has done well with the money at his disposal but that’s only one part. Our game plan is predictable, so is his team selections. We have a lot of young lads knocking on the door who have proven themselves worthy. But as soon as established players become available they go straight in. 

He either needs to change these philosophies to get some of the crowd back onside (probably too late for this) or move on. That may provide a bit of an uplift in crowds but the new coach will need some good results and quickly. 

The downward spiral has been going on for a few seasons. We started like a house on fire a couple of years back and had a top of the table clash at a sold out Warrington. We took more fans there than attended the last two challenge cup games at home. As soon as Warrington beat us that day the rot set in 

That Challenge Cup semi final was the one that got away IMO. Would arguably have kick started a new wave of optimism at the club - particularly those who didn't have the luxury or experiencing the cup kings 70/80s or champagne late 80s/90s period. 

Spidey is it fair to say though that Widnes have had more than their fair share of injuries? And with the best coach in the world you'd struggle when half you salary cap is on the physio table? 

I'd also suggest that the 888 system hit Widnes hard (as it has the Giants) in terms of planning and recruitment making it a bit of a vicious cycle.

That said, I am surprised Betts is still at Widnes

St. Rita of Cascia, St. Jude Thaddeus, St. Philomena and St. Gregory of Neocaesarea

I've invoked all 4 saints for impossible and lost causes and a resuscitation machine for the Red Devil's hopes for a decent season, staying in SL and having a future at all.

• Like 1

" I ain't no saint and I don't pretend to be,  But I hope you all found a friend in me."   Steve Forbert       

15 hours ago, MZH said:

Good win for Huddersfield. Good to see them really going for it in the cup despite thier problems.

And yet another academy graduate - Matty English with the MOTM award.

We've done it tough recently, but the big positive is some of our young lads are showing the way with a lot of heart, pride, desire and some damn good stuff!

• Like 1

Well done Jordan Dezaria - another brick in the wall.

DEZARIA-LEIGH-MAI-18-yLG-696x392.jpg

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

5 hours ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Wakefield bombed too many chances in a dominant 1st half but had a 20 minute period in the 2nd when they couldn't even buy a 50:50 decision.  Many repeat sets for Shudds eventually took it's toll. 

Similar to our Cup loss at Salford last year.  Unfortunately for the fans, the coaching staff have no enthusiasm for cup.  Magically back up to full strength for Magic Weekend I would guess.

I thought the crowd was announced as 2,300?  Very good following from Wakefield so the rest of the ground looked like it was an hour before kick-off throughout.   Shudds players had to run over to the Wakey fans to celebrate their scores as it was the only real clump of people.   

There was a few frustrating moments from the officials last night, for both sides i thought, he seemed to penalise everything for 10 minutes then let everything go for 10 minutes.

I was quite relieved to not be behind by at least 3 scores at half time, but we ground "shakey" down in the 2nd half, once the likes of Fifita, pauli etc ran out of steam and realised they couldn't bully Brough, Mamo etc they spat their dummies out, in the end i was disappointed we didn't win by more than 10 points, it could have riled Wakey for next week but we will see.

The most ironic thing about last night was Wakefield fans singing about our support not being particularly good, this from a club who last year averaged 700 less than us , despite having a far better season, a club whose biggest gate was 1,500 less than our biggest gate and whose lowest crowd was 800 lower than our lowest crowd, and this season they average 1,000 less than we are, despite them supposedly being a "top 4" team in the making.

All 150 of us couldn't stop laughing at that :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Betts and McDermott post-match press conferences. You can somehow tell which one is a successful coach and which one isn't -

9 minutes ago, audois said:

Well done Jordan Dezaria - another brick in the wall.

DEZARIA-LEIGH-MAI-18-yLG-696x392.jpg

As a Leigh fan I would like him to get more game time,  he offers a different approach in the somewhat lost art of a second row forward in that having the ability to distribute the ball to supporting players when being held up in the tackle, the more game time he has for him to become more familiar with and in turn his collegues with him and his skills get honed he will become a very good asset indeed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to the Cas game: fast, open, etc etc. Dont know who to support.  Even though Saints are  west of the Great Divide, as a Wigan fan I cant support Saints  But as Cas are east of the Great Divide, I cant shout for them, either

19 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Looking forward to the Cas game: fast, open, etc etc. Dont know who to support.  Even though Saints are  west of the Great Divide, as a Wigan fan I cant support Saints  But as Cas are east of the Great Divide, I cant shout for them, either

I thought Wigan and Cas hated eachother these days?

25 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Saints all day for me.

Doesn't worry me that they're from the medieval side of the hill.  I'll be wearing my ABC shirt.  

• Like 1

Robbie Paul needs to keep his opinions on the size of men’s backsides to himself.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

Pretty well pis sed off with the Barba cam already.

Come on Cas!

SL Steve Prescott Man of Steel 2016 - Danny Houghton  SL Top Gun 2016/2017 - Marc Sneyd (83%/89% goal success)

SL Hit Man 2016/2017 - Danny Houghton (1,289/1,123 tackles)  SL Club of the Year 2016 - Hull FC

SL Coach of the Year 2016 - Lee Radford   RL Challenge Cup Winners 2016/2017 - Hull FC

All in all, not a bad couple of years, I suppose...

Cas standard tactic to the fore already...and working, too. Hands all over the  ball in the tackle.

On 10/05/2018 at 10:58 PM, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I'm not gonna bother getting into a ######-for-tat with Featherstone fans on who was the dirtier team.

Only opinion I want to know is whether people think the "tackle" on Shaul should have been a lot more than a penalty? Because that's when the game turned.

Yellow card