Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

10-13 May: Ladbrokes Challenge Cup - Sixth Round Match Thread

Which game are you most interested in?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Which game are you most interested in?

• Featherstone Rovers v Hull FC
    • Huddersfield Giants v Wakefield Trinity
    • Leigh Centurions v Salford Red Devils
    • Widnes Vikings v Leeds Rhinos
    • Catalans Dragons v Whitehaven
    • Castleford Tigers v St Helens
    • Hull Kingston Rovers v Wigan Warriors
    • Toronto Wolfpack v Warrington Wolves

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yeah just watched again. Livett does no more than push which gets them squared up. Goodwin tries to separate them and when Dixon doesnt come away (he is marching a young lad backwards aggressively - not unusual for Dixon), Goodwin then puts his arm round Dixons chin to try and pull away more forcefully. Dixon then punches and Goodwin pulls him away forcefully. I still maintain that Goodwin is purely acting to split up the incident, but accept it may be deemed over-zealous.

In reality, had Dixon walked away after the initial dance the game would have played on, we see it all the time. Unfortunately, Dixon doesnt seem to be a very nice bloke and couldnt help himself trying to bully a young lad.

As per my post to Spidey, could have lived with a yellow for Goodwin, not for Livett. We see pushes 20 or 30 times a game.

Yep. Livet didn’t do anything that warranted a card. I think you can split up players without going around the throat/head - how much did that influence Dixon - who knows. I wouldn’t have minded at least Thaler speaking to Goodwin, possibly even a yellow, but not speaking to him says he didn’t do anything wrong at all, which I disagree with

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Yep. Livet didn’t do anything that warranted a card. I think you can split up players without going around the throat/head - how much did that influence Dixon - who knows. I wouldn’t have minded at least Thaler speaking to Goodwin, possibly even a yellow, but not speaking to him says he didn’t do anything wrong at all, which I disagree with

I think thats all fair

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

interesting that the groupthink is perhaps not as strong as it first appeared.

This tends to happen as emmotions and first instincts mellow a little.

Has your point of view changed at all with the chance to reflect on the game?

Went to the match and watched on replay later, but as I work in Liverpool I wondered what the people who watched on TV thought, and the way they saw it was not like the posters on here, firstly they all come out first with full praise and admiration for the referee they thought he was brilliant in how he handled the Canadians and that is how they viewed Toronto as Canadians not Aussies and British. They also loved it. Funny how other non fans view a game to the diehards. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bartholemew Smythe said:

Where is Kayakman and his entourage.Must be an early night in downtown Manchester. ;)

Kman has decided that its probably as well if he kept away from this forum for a while. 

I am happy to report that he is fit and well and enjoying watching the Wolfpack.

He is a guy that I am proud to call a mate.

• Like 3

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

This tends to happen as emmotions and first instincts mellow a little.

Has your point of view changed at all with the chance to reflect on the game?

Not really. I still think Thaler lost control of his emotions somewhat, and having watched it again I think the way he spoke to McCrone was really really poor. Had McCrone spoken to Thaler in the tone Thaler spoke to McCrone i would have definitely supported McCrone going to the bin.

Where i would say perhaps my view has changed somewhat is that I did criticise Thaler for being too lenient to start with and allowing things to escalate, which whilst i do think he did that, that probably isnt what i would want in a game. In the cold light of day i think the problem is him going from 0 to 100mph in the way he punished things.

We saw people on here talking about thugs and cheats and bully-boy tactics, in reality ten years ago that game wouldnt have made anyone bat an eyelid. And thats SL rugby, we arent talking about the fans get a refund if there isnt a fight days, we are talking not long ago at all. 10 years ago we probably see at most 1 sinbinning for Dixons punch.

Think back to great games there is almost always a bit tension. Pretty much any SoO game, Willie Mason v GB, Willie Mason v NZ, Graham v Bailey, Bailey v Radford, Fielden v McDermott, not always fights but that fractious undercurrent Its an exciting part of the game, will someone bottle it, will someone go too far, will it boil over, will someone channel that burst of adrenaline in to running in with no fear and busting the line, will someone channel it in to a massive hit from defence, that what will happen next chaos.

fact is, and we may not really like to admit it, but a bit of pushing and shoving, players getting a bit raggedy and a bit angry, it gets an atmosphere and it gets the blood pumping. I think we sometimes imagine the game to be different to what it really is because im not sure trying to stamp it out yesterday made for a better spectacle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

wouldn't surprise me to see Goodwin, and maybe others, charged after review.  

Barring a sly shot on BMM's chin at the ptb, I didn't see many queuing to take a dig at him!

Thaler ruined that match as a contest. He was right in how he penalised Toronto for their indiscretions but for some reason turned a blind eye to almost all of Warringtons. They constantly had players running in and enflaming the situation and should probably had a couple put in the bin as well. You'd hope the disciplinary would take a look at all these incidents this week as it certainly wasn't all 1 sided.

Be interesting to see whether Emmett now chooses to formally report the biting incident

• Like 2

This is captain Juncker speaking. The EU gravy train is about to enter Brussels, so will all Brits please exit at the next stop

To all remaining passengers, thank you for your continued custom and contributions to my pension fund

Kind Regards - YOUR PRESIDENT !

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

Not really. I still think Thaler lost control of his emotions somewhat, and having watched it again I think the way he spoke to McCrone was really really poor. Had McCrone spoken to Thaler in the tone Thaler spoke to McCrone i would have definitely supported McCrone going to the bin.

Where i would say perhaps my view has changed somewhat is that I did criticise Thaler for being too lenient to start with and allowing things to escalate, which whilst i do think he did that, that probably isnt what i would want in a game. In the cold light of day i think the problem is him going from 0 to 100mph in the way he punished things.

We saw people on here talking about thugs and cheats and bully-boy tactics, in reality ten years ago that game wouldnt have made anyone bat an eyelid. And thats SL rugby, we arent talking about the fans get a refund if there isnt a fight days, we are talking not long ago at all. 10 years ago we probably see at most 1 sinbinning for Dixons punch.

Think back to great games there is almost always a bit tension. Pretty much any SoO game, Willie Mason v GB, Willie Mason v NZ, Graham v Bailey, Bailey v Radford, Fielden v McDermott, not always fights but that fractious undercurrent Its an exciting part of the game, will someone bottle it, will someone go too far, will it boil over, will someone channel that burst of adrenaline in to running in with no fear and busting the line, will someone channel it in to a massive hit from defence, that what will happen next chaos.

fact is, and we may not really like to admit it, but a bit of pushing and shoving, players getting a bit raggedy and a bit angry, it gets an atmosphere and it gets the blood pumping. I think we sometimes imagine the game to be different to what it really is because im not sure trying to stamp it out yesterday made for a better spectacle.

You missed out Brendan Hill v virtually everyone, ditto Jim Mills and Kelvin Skerrit

Four legs good - two legs bad

Whilst we are talking about refereeing decisions, the one to send off Tickle, sin-bin Bateman, and then give the penalty to HKR was one of the more bizarre i've seen for a while.

For the record I don't think that Tickle should have been sent off for that. It was something and nothing.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Thaler ruined that match as a contest. He was right in how he penalised Toronto for their indiscretions but for some reason turned a blind eye to almost all of Warringtons. They constantly had players running in and enflaming the situation and should probably had a couple put in the bin as well. You'd hope the disciplinary would take a look at all these incidents this week as it certainly wasn't all 1 sided.

Be interesting to see whether Emmett now chooses to formally report the biting incident

:girlwah:

Saints fans on social media this morning are very very salty.

2 hours ago, Bearman said:

Kman has decided that its probably as well if he kept away from this forum for a while. 

I am happy to report that he is fit and well and enjoying watching the Wolfpack.

He is a guy that I am proud to call a mate.

Ask him to post his kayaking stuff please .

From the RFL on Facebook

Fancy yourself as a Rugby League Match Official? ?

Check out our upcoming courses ?

po.st/W3fj0w

• Like 1

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

10 hours ago, Dave T said:

Just watched it again. He genuinely doesnt. I think he was surprised by the child-like punch tbh!

I'm pretty sure livery just ducks expecting another one? I don't think he did anything wrong, he reacted to Dixon housing him on the floor, Dixon throws a punch then Goodwin tries to pull Dixon away, can't see anything wrong with what Warrington players did in that incident?

Are people so in love with Toronto that they want opposition played penalised and sent off for getting punched and housed by then?

To quote Stevo, "deary me today!"

6 hours ago, clogdance said:

Toronto lost the 2nd half 54-0, oh dear. Are they West Wales Raiders in disguise ? 

I am a Wire but if a lot of SL clubs were in the position of 10 men the score would have been one sided in the second half.