Is the NCL recovering

Has the NCL now started to slowly recover from the transition to summer rugby?

for me I think it has. There was an initial dip in player availability but I do think the players are getting used to it

i am not sure attendances have faired so well under the transition though. 

6 hours ago, TheDuke said:

Has the NCL now started to slowly recover from the transition to summer rugby?

for me I think it has. There was an initial dip in player availability but I do think the players are getting used to it

i am not sure attendances have faired so well under the transition though. 

At our club we have seen a dip in crowds but they’re pretty consistent now, ie not getting any worse. It really doesn’t help that Warrington are playing more Saturday afternoon games - that’s when we really see low crowds at home

Just now, JMB said:

I'm not sure why thy cant see the problem, all the 3 clubs have complained about it to them.

Trevor Hunt responded to this on Twitter, and said the reason was due to fixture requests made by the clubs prior to the start of the season (ie certain dates at home or away). That seems reasonable. I obviously don’t know whether it’s true or not, but I’ve or no reason not to believe him

Moving to summer 4 years ago has actually boosted our numbers, both player and crowd wise. I gather that's not the trend in some other places but for us it was clear unless we made the jump to NCL (and therefore summer) we would've started a downward spiral as we'd already lost a couple of lads to NCL teams for that reason and since then we've got so many new players come down too. Crowds have increased as well - whether that's down to the higher level of rugby we're playing in the NCL or if it's just that our fans are bit more fair weather friendly i'm not sure, but it's great to see. 

32 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Trevor Hunt responded to this on Twitter, and said the reason was due to fixture requests made by the clubs prior to the start of the season (ie certain dates at home or away). That seems reasonable. I obviously don’t know whether it’s true or not, but I’ve or no reason not to believe him

Wasn't aware of that response from Trevor, but still, its hard to believe that there inset around this, 

3 hours ago, Spidey said:

They didn't all request to be at home this weekend or the other occasion this season and I'm pretty sure they all didn't request away fixtures when the 3 clubs were all away either.

1 minute ago, Davo5 said:

They didn't all request to be at home this weekend or the other occasion this season and I'm pretty sure they all didn't request away fixtures when the 3 clubs were all away either.

No. But if say 2 are due at home due to the original fixture list and the one away requests a home fixture the they all end up at home. Same for all ending up being away. 

Sorry Spidey, your explanations still don't represent the amount of times all 3 clubs have been both home and away on the same dates, 

13 minutes ago, JMB said:

Sorry Spidey, your explanations still don't represent the amount of times all 3 clubs have been both home and away on the same dates, 

Ask Trevor Hubt then. Just throwing possibilities out there that sound logical

4 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Moving to summer 4 years ago has actually boosted our numbers, both player and crowd wise. I gather that's not the trend in some other places but for us it was clear unless we made the jump to NCL (and therefore summer) we would've started a downward spiral as we'd already lost a couple of lads to NCL teams for that reason and since then we've got so many new players come down too. Crowds have increased as well - whether that's down to the higher level of rugby we're playing in the NCL or if it's just that our fans are bit more fair weather friendly i'm not sure, but it's great to see. 

I think the restructuring of the Old Boys was a massive leap forward for you guys and the union of the local juniors plus one or two local pub sides going by the wayside fell in favour, but you've worked hard to take yourselves up a few gears and produce an excellent product. 

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Can only speak from what I have seen, summer crowds are awful and not geting better. On the playing front think we have all accepted that rugby is now Second to stag party's,  weddings,  holidays,festivals , etc. If your lucky enough to have a winning side with a good mix of ages amongst your squad you will do well. Come  Ibiza or magaluf time in summer if you have a young squad your season could well be decided. 

On 10/05/2018 at 7:55 PM, chisholm said:

Can only speak from what I have seen, summer crowds are awful and not geting better. On the playing front think we have all accepted that rugby is now Second to stag party's,  weddings,  holidays,festivals , etc. If your lucky enough to have a winning side with a good mix of ages amongst your squad you will do well. Come  Ibiza or magaluf time in summer if you have a young squad your season could well be decided. 

Agree

Lower attendances, in the main no commitment, I think the teams are younger having to promote juniors to make numbers, NCL Team’s travelling short, this should not happen at this level, lower standards across the game I can back this up after talking to players from Beverley who have just been promoted to NCL 3 saying in terms of standard no where as good as YM Premier.

i missed last weeks game as I was away, next weeks due to Magic, I have another weekend away shortly then miss another 2 due to my summer holiday this is why attendances are down and that is not even counting July and August, our A team started in April and finish in July, but trained from November part time sport nowadays I am afraid.

1 hour ago, Defender1 said:

Agree

Lower attendances, in the main no commitment, I think the teams are younger having to promote juniors to make numbers, NCL Team’s travelling short, this should not happen at this level, lower standards across the game I can back this up after talking to players from Beverley who have just been promoted to NCL 3 saying in terms of standard no where as good as YM Premier.

That’s a mix though - the YM Premier has definitely improved in standard, whilst certainly NCL 3 has declined 

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

That’s a mix though - the YM Premier has definitely improved in standard, whilst certainly NCL 3 has declined 

It has 70-30 for me but I still batley Boys could be the next club to join NCL 3 and find the standard okay they have a lot of young talented players with a mix of older heads 

21 hours ago, Defender1 said:

NCL Team’s travelling short, this should not happen at this level, lower standards across the game I can back this up after talking to players from Beverley who have just been promoted to NCL 3 saying in terms of standard no where as good as YM Premier.

I watched the recent Beverley-Salford City Roosters Third Division game. Roosters turned up with just 13 players - and one of those was in his fifties! First time I've witnessed that sort of thing in the NCL. No wonder Beverley rate the Yorkshire League a better standard.

Archived