SUMMER BASH

It seems that a massive failure will be a big success. Clearly they are trying to make this fail with all the effort that's been put into this.

Although it's a massive game between Leigh and TWP, figure some attention would be given to this.

7 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yep, destined to be a flop, especially as 3 out of the 4 top teams as the league presently stands will struggle to collectivley fill a mini bus with supporters.

Events like the Bash and Magic are essentially just fun trips for M62 supporters. The idea of everyone driving to one location shows how regionalised the sport is.  Of course you cannot expect many fans from Toulouse and Toronto to attend.  How many would be at the Summer Bash if it was held somewhere like Hamilton or Ottawa?  Several thousand Wolfpack fans, but only a few from the heartlands. If the game does introduce more international teams, these events need to be revisited.  Attendance at Magic isn't much different from the sum of attendances during any round of SL, so I'm not sure it is really promoting the sport to new people.

5 hours ago, ojx said:

Events like the Bash and Magic are essentially just fun trips for M62 supporters. The idea of everyone driving to one location shows how regionalised the sport is.  Of course you cannot expect many fans from Toulouse and Toronto to attend.  How many would be at the Summer Bash if it was held somewhere like Hamilton or Ottawa?  Several thousand Wolfpack fans, but only a few from the heartlands. If the game does introduce more international teams, these events need to be revisited.  Attendance at Magic isn't much different from the sum of attendances during any round of SL, so I'm not sure it is really promoting the sport to new people.

You seem to forget that these are OUR competitions and you are guests that participate within them, if they are essentially as you say "fun trips" for the M62 supporters what of it, have those who follow their teams week in week out not deserving of the diversity from the norm if they should wish to attend.

Perhaps, as some would like to think that the Rugby League world is now centered in the upper reaches of North America and after less than 18 months of partcipation the game should change to accomodate and appease those new teams even yet to be formulated, it will not happen. 

TWP are doing well and good luck to them for it, but, that is how it should remain for a good period of time whilst the experiment is monitered and learned from, only fool hardy buisness people are tempted to produce more of the same product until the original has been thourougly evaluated.

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

You seem to forget that these are OUR competitions and you are guests that participate within them, if they are essentially as you say "fun trips" for the M62 supporters what of it, have those who follow their teams week in week out not deserving of the diversity from the norm if they should wish to attend.

Perhaps, as some would like to think that the Rugby League world is now centered in the upper reaches of North America and after less than 18 months of partcipation the game should change to accomodate and appease those new teams even yet to be formulated, it will not happen. 

TWP are doing well and good luck to them for it, but, that is how it should remain for a good period of time whilst the experiment is monitered and learned from, only fool hardy buisness people are tempted to produce more of the same product until the original has been thourougly evaluated.

Chill out guys! What both of you leave out is that both Magic and Bash are primarily TV events - two weekends a year where Sky are happy to show wall to wall Rugby League all weekend. That's the biggest boost to spreading the game, not the physical location. The fact the games are all in one place just makes it viable for Sky to show so many games. 

Split them up into a series of 'on the road' games and they definitely won't all be broadcast. 

9 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Im probably misunderstanding the mood, but it does seem that some people are wishing it to fail, rather than wanting it to succeed: the Rugby League syndrome.

No John, as far as I am concerned my opinion is that it is destined to fail based upon the numbers of supporters the participating clubs actually take to away games, realistically for each club it is an away game.

I see it every week my club plays its home fixtures, a part of the ground is allocated to "away fans" and it is quite easy to estimate the numbers, only Featherstone have produced a following of note this season, and we have also played the other incumbants of the top 4 positions being TWP, TO, and London and as I said previously, collectivley they would not fill a mini bus.

Only Leigh may have a following approching or just passing the 1K mark and Fev could at best get a 5 - 600 following, if the other 10 teams produce 2K between them that will be a success, realistically 7 teams will need nearly to be averaging close to 300 each, it will not happen.

The TV viewers may hear the crowd on the Saturday with Fev and Leigh being present, but the Sunday fixtures of TO v London, Rochdale v Swinton and Batley v Dewsbury will be like we used to see on the old western films when they depicted a desserted town with tumbleweeds, only this time they will be rolling on the empty terraces.

By the way John, I do have my ticket for the Saturday.

From years of being a forum member, I observe that it's easy to form the opinion that the prevailing mood is one of negativity, low expectation. fear not hope, failure not success, decay not growth.

18 minutes ago, JohnM said:

From years of being a forum member, I observe that it's easy to form the opinion that the prevailing mood is one of negativity, low expectation. fear not hope, failure not success, decay not growth.

So please with all that gained knowledge you posses, enlighten us with your expectation of the concieved success or failure of the Summer Bash in a commericial aspect, I have taken trouble to give the reasons why I do not think it will go very well, please share your thoughts, not just observations of others reckoning.

There will be plenty of room so why don't the R.L. give 100 hotels or boarding houses 30 free tickets for their guests.Thats only 3000 tickets and if only 15% get used that would mean another 450 spectators.Some may never have seen Rugby League before so lets show them how good or bad (ie TORONTO) the game can be,we may even convert some.

I believe Halifax will bring close to 500 for the SB, we have got approx 180 going just from the cheerleading squad (77) and family (102ish) tickets sold by them, most of the parents are not supporters who go week in week out

I wish I had the time to go for both days and watch all the games - I like the sport, not just my team, and watching at a ground is the best way to do that. I do think sometimes at SB and MW, a lot of fans just go for their team's game only which seems such a waste to me.

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

On 11/05/2018 at 6:17 PM, Krzzystuff said:

It seems that a massive failure will be a big success. Clearly they are trying to make this fail with all the effort that's been put into this.

Although it's a massive game between Leigh and TWP, figure some attention would be given to this.

Lets see how much attention your game gets at magic...

14 hours ago, SL17 said:

Lets see how much attention your game gets at magic...

The highlight of the whole weekend isn't it?

SL fans all know about TWP and they should know about Toulouse, if they don't they should be interested in seeing who might be coming to town next year. The bottom dweller fans will be watching closely as this will be their teams threats to SL survival shortly and lets not forget that these are two foreign clubs kicking some heartlands asses that local fans would never get to see play each other outside of the weekend as the games would typically be in France or Canada.

Oh and its new. All the other games have happened at least once this year and 100's of times in the past.

I travel most places with the Broncos, all home and most away. But I also, have another hat, I coach an u14s team in the London League. So on the Saturday most of my day is taken up coaching. So the question is, do I travel the furthest distance from London to a ###### in Lancashire on Saturday for the last game or head up first thing Sunday for a tumbleweed stadium or do I watch on TV ?

3 hours ago, Magic XIII said:

I travel most places with the Broncos, all home and most away. But I also, have another hat, I coach an u14s team in the London League. So on the Saturday most of my day is taken up coaching. So the question is, do I travel the furthest distance from London to a ###### in Lancashire on Saturday for the last game or head up first thing Sunday for a tumbleweed stadium or do I watch on TV ?

What did you do last year??

Archived