Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OldManMarley

SKY Coverage/Commentators

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I actually think Hemmings is best as a presenter and id have retired him from commentating over presenting.

Hemmings fronting the show. Guests to rotate and be topical.

Tactical analysis presented by Carney and Wells.

Commentary team with main commentator plus Carney and Wells tactical and I dont mind Clarke when he is in the mood. Or replace him with a guest expert. The likes of Cullen, Rae, Kear all do well.

Sack Barrie and Terry or use them sparingly as guests.

Angela Powers as featuees presenter.

I think they have talent there, but dont use it quite right.

I agree with this . Carney and Wells are far better than the other two churning out the same routine but sky push them endlessly for some reason . I never knew why they didn’t give Rod Studd a greater role and there’s three guys to built your commentary around . There’s also to many voices and it’s totally overdone 

• Like 1

On 12/05/2018 at 10:12 PM, 9' oller said:

Biggest for me is l. briscoe being called Burgess 5 times. We're the others frightened of highlighting error

I didn't see the game but confident that was Eddie Hemmings? I'm a bit concerned for him. He regularly gets names wrong. Seriously, is he OK healthwise, like?

Arthur or studd I think

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

Just me that actually likes Sky's coverage as it is? Having said that, i do like Bill Arthur's commentary and i think he could do more than just commentate on Catalans games or "second string" games.

1 minute ago, overtheborder said:

Just me that actually likes Sky's coverage as it is? Having said that, i do like Bill Arthur's commentary and i think he could do more than just commentate on Catalans games or "second string" games.

Yeh he’s good and has a good dry sense of humour . I liked his bit on Matty Dawson that he got married and acquired a jones and a hyphen !

I like Barry and Terry, they inject a bit of humour and grit.

Casual, potentially regular,  viewers will appreciate their direct Northern approach. It's what they will be expecting.

Horses for Courses. We're talking about televised rugby league, it's not Escape to the Country.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Clarke needs to go, complete tosh comes out of his mouth, saying that Jonathan Davies on the BBC, deary me, get rid and why oh why oh why do they still employ Robbie Hunter whatever his names is, pointless

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rooster2003 said:

Clarke needs to go, complete tosh comes out of his mouth, saying that Jonathan Davies on the BBC, deary me, get rid and why oh why oh why do they still employ Robbie Hunter whatever his names is, pointless

Agree about the Robbie Paul ‘ thing ‘ . What’s the point of all this walking around the pitch , even wire players were looking bemused at him at one point !

• Like 3

O'Conner and McDermot are spoiling the rugby , they talk far to much and are usually wrong when they give their assessments .

They weren't allowed to rabbit on when Eddie Hemmings was the head commentator ,  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rugby league fan said:

O'Conner and McDermot are spoiling the rugby , they talk far to much and are usually wrong when they give their assessments .

They weren't allowed to rabbit on when Eddie Hemmings was the head commentator ,  

I thought Jodie Cunningham was very good in the Toronto game on Friday. She’s definitely improved, and has learnt that less is often more.............just pitching in with informative comments and observations.

O’Connor is the worst of the lot for rabbiting on about nothing relevant 

• Like 2

Just now, Man of Kent said:

I fail to see what Terry O’Connor brings to the coverage. Anyone got any ideas? 

There for the glamour perhaps?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rugby league fan said:

Short memory. They never used to shut up 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Cliches about being a great forward or a hardworking one

He actually uses the same phrases in the same order in every match

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Cliches about being a great forward or a hardworking one

He actually uses the same phrases in the same order in every match

Not sure if that’s a joke or not!

We really ought to have moved on from the lazy, sub-It’s A Knockout cliches about forwards by now. He’s a dinosaur, really.

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

The ability to work through an entire back catalogue of clichés and phrases?

He keeps turning up for his mates etc

Edited by meast

Every player is 'quality' according to O Connor.  

I was trying to work out how Leeds are doing so badly as according to McDermott yesterday all their players are wonderful, especially the young ones who all seem to be set to be world class.

The potentially interesting part yesterday (Wilkin's comments about faking injuries and crusher tackles) was cut short by Carney but is exactly the sort of thing they should be debating.  Clarke talks some rubbish at times but when prompted in the right direction he can come out with some interesting stuff.

Jodie Cunningham has real potential - getting better and better and already better than 'Baz and Tez'

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Not sure if that’s a joke or not!

We really ought to have moved on from the lazy, sub-It’s A Knockout cliches about forwards by now. He’s a dinosaur, really.

It is actually true though. Just write down O'Connor's comments from one game to another and they will match up. They are also all cliches

John Wilkin comes across well ( apart from his saints comments), sky need to sort out replacements for Eddie and Stevo .

What a miserable bunch here, people almost having a go at O'Connor and McDermott for being positive and upbeat. I'd far rather them be that way inclined than moan about every player. They may be a little banal at times, so what, far rather that than the dull monotone of Phil Clarke.

On 13/05/2018 at 11:45, Lowdesert said:

Tony Rea very good.  Impartial and brings in detail.

From the very little I see on SKY these days John Wells is head and shoulders above the rest.

Best since Tony Rea who was very good.

Seem to remember his favourite saying was 'inside the game'.

(You had to be there to understand that one).

I'm just going to come out with it - that Stuart Pyke has a weird voice.

• Like 1

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

3 hours ago, LeeF said:

It is actually true though. Just write down O'Connor's comments from one game to another and they will match up. They are also all cliches

Indeed .... every player in super league is a ‘ quality player ‘ or his variation , ‘ I think he’s a quality player isn’t he ‘. And over the weekend Phil’s ‘ here now ‘ count must easily have reached the hundreds ....Compared to the analysts and standard of down under its rubbish really 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1