Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OldManMarley

SKY Coverage/Commentators

35 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Indeed .... every player in super league is a ‘ quality player ‘ or his variation , ‘ I think he’s a quality player isn’t he ‘. And over the weekend Phil’s ‘ here now ‘ count must easily have reached the hundreds ....Compared to the analysts and standard of down under its rubbish really 

Aussie commentators are far more interesting and articulate than that lot on Sky. As for John Wells, I know a lot on here like him, but everybody I know, he bores them to death.

O'Connor and McDermott are both just dire,there is little else to say.I appreciate they are both rugby league enthusiasts but frankly neither can speak and both are thick.Their dulcid northern tones dont help but both are simply useless.I assume they are on peace rates,as they just continually open their mouths and stutter out complete garbage.It's not as if they even compliment one another.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

At this point I honestly would just settle for fewer commentators and less waffling on during the game. I've never seen anything like it in any other sport.

• Like 2

Been enjoying Stuart Pyke's work.

He spoke too much during his first couple of games - understandable for someone whose experience is in commentating on the radio - but that seems to have calmed down.

People called Romans they go the house

5 minutes ago, MrPosh said:

Been enjoying Stuart Pyke's work.

He spoke too much during his first couple of games - understandable for someone whose experience is in commentating on the radio - but that seems to have calmed down.

He should be the main guy for me . Most professional commentator

4 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

Aussie commentators are far more interesting and articulate than that lot on Sky. As for John Wells, I know a lot on here like him, but everybody I know, he bores them to death.

I think with Wells it's just that he is so much better than the rest. It probably says as much about how bad messrs Clarke, McDermott and O'Connor are than anything else.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Damien said:

I think with Wells it's just that he is so much better than the rest. It probably says as much about how bad messrs Clarke, McDermott and O'Connor are than anything else.

I’d agree . He spouts garbage half the time but the bar is that low he’s doing ok . Just simplify it in numbers and stop rabbiting on endlessly 

Edited by DavidM

Very impressed with Matt Newsam on the BBC game. Both he and Dave Woods are better than anything sky have as front line commentators 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

Very impressed with Matt Newsam on the BBC game. Both he and Dave Woods are better than anything sky have as front line commentators 

I agree, DD.

Matt Newsum does get a bit over excited on the voice overs on the super league show and he gets all squeaky .

I thought Jon Wells was excellent in the Hull Catalan game. Identified every player, called the game properly and chatted well with the co commentators. Was it his first commentary?

They seem to forget that they are not on the radio and we have moving pictures nowadays which means you dont have to describe every little thing that is going on. Silence is ok!! only speak when you have something constructive to add.. 

Dave Woods shows what a proper commentator sounds like which is professional and only adds what is needed. With Sky its too many ex players who are not "professional" in terms of commentating which is a bit of an artform. 

• Like 1

I think their pay/bonus  must be related to the amount of airtime their voice is in play. Or maybe its the lead up to sky offering an additional paid service where you can get crowd noise only for a few minutes by pressing the blue button - like some pubs used to have a silent record on the jukebox when I was a lad 😀

58 minutes ago, RP London said:

They seem to forget that they are not on the radio and we have moving pictures nowadays which means you dont have to describe every little thing that is going on. Silence is ok!! only speak when you have something constructive to add.. 

Dave Woods shows what a proper commentator sounds like which is professional and only adds what is needed. With Sky its too many ex players who are not "professional" in terms of commentating which is a bit of an artform. 

That was a big problem with Wells last week. He was just telling us every little thing that happened.

A good commentator will guide the viewer rather tell them everything.

• Like 1

O Connor, McDermott, Clark, Cummings and Angela Power’s all need to be let go at the end of this season. I like carney as a presenter and Wells doing what he does but a whole new commentary team is needed. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, leaguefan13 said:

O Connor, McDermott, Clark, Cummings and Angela Power’s all need to be let go at the end of this season. I like carney as a presenter and Wells doing what he does but a whole new commentary team is needed. 

I think there is a place for Cummings. But I wonder whether it would be better in a 2 minute slot at half time and at full time to discuss controversial incidents instead of going to every minor point like knock-ons during the match.

I know he isn't popular, but he does know more than most of us when it comes to these decisions, but I think him being at the video screen reviewing the 2 or 3 key incidents would be better than now.

The other issue at the moment is the fact that it feels like a huge audition process. We are seeing a complete mish-mash of presenters and commentators, and tbh it is sounding amateur at times. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think there is a place for Cummings. But I wonder whether it would be better in a 2 minute slot at half time and at full time to discuss controversial incidents instead of going to every minor point like knock-ons during the match.

I know he isn't popular, but he does know more than most of us when it comes to these decisions, but I think him being at the video screen reviewing the 2 or 3 key incidents would be better than now.

The other issue at the moment is the fact that it feels like a huge audition process. We are seeing a complete mish-mash of presenters and commentators, and tbh it is sounding amateur at times. 

agree with the bit highlighted definitely.. other channels are picking up a ref for the football etc but it is a half time/full time discussion not during the piece and on every single video ref decision.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

If it is an audition why don't Sky put up two commentary teams for each game and allow us to switch between them by pressing one of the coloured buttons. That way they would get an idea of the most popular style of commentary. They could also back this up by asking viewers to fill in a survey at the end of the season.

1 hour ago, TBone said:

If it is an audition why don't Sky put up two commentary teams for each game and allow us to switch between them by pressing one of the coloured buttons. That way they would get an idea of the most popular style of commentary. They could also back this up by asking viewers to fill in a survey at the end of the season.

could they also check who just presses mute... but like a "none of the above" option

How big are the headsets that the commentators in the studio are wearing?.

Haven't Sky heard of technology?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

2 minutes ago, Bearman said:

How big are the headsets that the commentators in the studio are wearing?.

Haven't Sky heard of technology?

Was thinking that the other day. In some ways Sky’s coverage hasn’t changed from the 1990s.

I don't really see the point of Stuart Cummings talking through the video referee adjudication. I don't see why Sky can't do what the BBC do during Challenge Cup games and listen in to the video referees comments.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IMXIII said:

I don't really see the point of Stuart Cummings talking through the video referee adjudication. I don't see why Sky can't do what the BBC do during Challenge Cup games and listen in to the video referees comments.

I do sort of agree, but to try and think through the reasoning, I think it is based around the drama. Whether that roulette will stop on the red or green is also a bit of theatre for the TV viewer too.

That said, I think that element has largely gone now, as you can tell what they are going to give 90% of the time based on whether they go to the grounding etc.

But there is no theatre to the VR screen for TV viewers when the BBC have the games. You could argue that the Sky pundits are more the voice of the fans, giving their view, debating it etc. changing their mind.

Not saying which is best, just giving a potential reason behind the thinking.

2 hours ago, IMXIII said:

Pretty much like common sense isn’t it . They’re now the odd one out in not doing it . Very strange why they don’t open it up to hear the process like everyone else , rather than second guessing from the clowns in the box .... it’s a try , no it’s not , it went back , or did it go forward , ooh I’ve changed my mind four times .....