Coventry bears V Town.

town4me

Next week is a massive week, with haven playing York and Oldham playing Donny. Teams around us will be dropping points so we need to take advantage. And have to beat the likes of Newcastle at home 

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overall a good win , but at 38-0 after 28 minutes it’s frustrating we couldn’t carry that on . Our performances tend to be patchy and it’s something  we still need to work on be one more consistent throughout  to put a run together and the very tough games coming up , which are the real litmus test . I think we have enough if in this team if we can do that , these teams are good but shouldn’t frighten you if , if , you put it all together . But we are in the mix now . The fixtures really ramp up and will decide your fate . History says weve struggled in many of these so we must change that or we’ll lose ground . I know rotation is the buzz but if he can Penky must play 80 , Newton can rotate in the middle . It’s obvious what penky gives . On this team , we’ve played two weak teams but I’m not sure about this extremely power based forward way against better sides . Maybe this was part of the fatigue ? I think we may need a bit more of a balance going forward 

Two big away wins in hot conditions and yes we do have a big pack, we went in small v Oldham and couldn't get a foothold in the game. I'm pretty happy that when Newcastle or whoever look at our pack they are thinking , "Size!" and lots of it......I love seeing a big pack roll on & on and then spread the ball whilst the defence is bunched because they have to put 3 into every tackle. 

Can't wait for Sunday, I believe in this team and yes Penkywicz is key, but also 35+ so he's not gonna be doing 80 in that position. But his guile at the start & end should see us start & finish well. 

UTT. 

John Gibson is a professional. It is in his interest to have successful Cumbrian  clubs that that the Cumbrian public want to hear about.

It is in the Cumbrian clubs interest to have the local radio station on their side in very difficult times when any positive spin ultimately means potentially those clubs will prosper.

So, John Gibson needs the help of the clubs to sell THEIR product to the local market. 

Why then does he get no help from the clubs? Isn't selling the the club part of the coaches remit?

I know for a fact that Paul Creary at Barrow ALWAYS makes a point of finding time for the press. Today your Coach could not be bothered to speak to YOU ( you are his audience) he sent his understudy. 

Believe me John Gibson wants, needs and hopes for a succesful Town ( and Haven and Barrow), that is where his bread is buttered). 

He wants to sell Town but someone has got to help him. Workington should be all over him not treating him like a nuisance to be avoided.

It is in everyone in Cumbrias  interest.

For Gods sake RC are sending a commentator all the way to Coventry so that THEIR listeners can hear about THEIR team and Workington cannot be bothered to promote themselves .

Do that and everyones a winner.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

21 minutes ago, notasdaftasilook said:

How do you know they don’t? 

Because the Coach refused. In contrast  Coventry Coach Tom Tsang went out of his way to speak to RC knowing that there was absolutely nothing in it for him.

Ron Banks

15 minutes ago, Bearman said:

John Gibson is a professional. It is in his interest to have successful Cumbrian  clubs that that the Cumbrian public want to hear about.

It is in the Cumbrian clubs interest to have the local radio station on their side in very difficult times when any positive spin ultimately means potentially those clubs will prosper.

So, John Gibson needs the help of the clubs to sell THEIR product to the local market. 

Why then does he get no help from the clubs? Isn't selling the the club part of the coaches remit?

I know for a fact that Paul Creary at Barrow ALWAYS makes a point of finding time for the press. Today your Coach could not be bothered to speak to YOU ( you are his audience) he sent his understudy. 

Believe me John Gibson wants, needs and hopes for a succesful Town ( and Haven and Barrow), that is where his bread is buttered). 

He wants to sell Town but someone has got to help him. Workington should be all over him not treating him like a nuisance to be avoided.

For Gods sake RC are sending a commentator all the way to Coventry so that THEIR listeners can hear about THEIR team and Workington cannot be bothered to promote themselves .

Have a trawl through historic posts on here (Town forum) and you will see just how much angst has been expressed over Gibson's commentaries on Town games because of his antipathy towards our better play while he waxes orgasmic over any success the opposition has against us .The guy is a nailed on Barrow fan which might please you whether you are wearing your Raiders scarf or your Bears hat but to attempt to portray him as a benign spokesman for Cumbrian rugby league is laughable.

12 minutes ago, Bearman said:

What you have said may be true but unfortunately all we heard today was a commentator and guest who only wanted to talk about Coventry. Nothing wrong with that if you are a Coventry based radio station but not when your listeners are Cumbrian. 

I cannot see why you have to drag Leon Pryce into it. Craig McDowell is his assistant and is a very good speaker. While we may not be the best club at promotion we have certainly improved tenfold in recent times. 

You mention positive spin, when John Gibson commentates on Workington he seems to take great delight in highlighting everything negative and on many occasions will refer to us as haven. I don’t profess to know how to commentate on a match for the radio but in my view his commentaries leave a lot to be desired. It is a shame Walshie no longer does the town as his commentaries were informed, knowledgable, unbiased and presented by the best rugby league commentator radio Cumbria have had. 

1 minute ago, Seaton Sandy said:

Have a trawl through historic posts on here (Town forum) and you will see just how much angst has been expressed over Gibson's commentaries on Town games because of his antipathy towards our better play while he waxes orgasmic over any success the opposition has against us .The guy is a nailed on Barrow fan which might please you whether you are wearing your Raiders scarf or your Bears hat but to attempt to portray him as a benign spokesman for Cumbrian rugby league is laughable.

It really isn't. His job hangs on him selling Cumbrian RL.

Why would he want to put that in jeopardy?. Get the club to make his life easier and everyone's a winner.

Ron Banks

7 minutes ago, wonky said:

Any of the people who travelled down, how did big fui get on. From the photos he’s looking as if he’s loving life 

over on the general forum  bears fans are saying Fui Fui got smashed by one of the biggest hits he'd ever seen by a young bears welsh prop ? Peter Ryan .

1 minute ago, Anonymouse said:

over on the general forum  bears fans are saying Fui Fui got smashed by one of the biggest hits he'd ever seen by a young bears welsh prop ?

Why are you pointing that out ,that doesn't mean he played bad or well and doesn't answer the question from Wonky. So rather pointless post other than to portray a negative view. 

3 minutes ago, Anonymouse said:

over on the general forum  bears fans are saying Fui Fui got smashed by one of the biggest hits he'd ever seen by a young bears welsh prop ? Peter Ryan .

If those brilliant commentators were correct it was a shoulder charge and got binned for it

1 minute ago, Ginock1 said:

Why are you pointing that out ,that doesn't mean he played bad or well and doesn't answer the question from Wonky. So rather pointless post other than to portray a negative view. 

its only what is being said . could have been a foul as some one has pointed out . 

9 minutes ago, Ginock1 said:

What else could you expect from the rodent - he wallows in any negativity he can dredge up. 

It was only the second game of RL that Ryan has ever played so he certainly wasnt over awed!

Neither myself or your timekeeper thought there was much in the tackle but the Ref had no hesitation  in binning him ( unlike the later speartackle by one of your guys that a Worky fan told me was far worse). After that binning the Coventry captain was spoken to by the ref and the resulting discussion ended up with him in the bin too! That put Cov down to 11 men.

Todays result was a reflection of where we are. Workington a different class.

So, Coventry have now played (and lost heavily to ) Doncaster, Whitehaven, Bradford, Keighley, York and Newcastle in short all of the top teams.

Strangely, Bradford at Odsal were the least impressive. That said I think they and York will go up. Keighley ran riot aginst us and were on fire that day. You, Haven and Newcastle were pretty much on a par. You all had us well beaten but didn't really capitalise as much as your coaches would have liked ( thank God).

Let me nail my colours to the mast. I am a Barrovian and a Lancastrian NOT a Cumbrian. I do not like Yorkshire teams. I used to have a soft spot for the plucky Cumbrian underdogs. But, in the last 4 years or so of dealing with the fans and directors of both of Town and Haven have left me in no doubt in which is the friendliest club and it is not them 8 miles south of you. 

I really do wish you well but am slightly concerned that you will not get out of this league this term  and then next year there will be another titanic struggle.

Its tough at the bottom of this division and tough at top too.

Good luck Marras.

Ron Banks

Archived