What Makes us The Greatest Game

There seems to be a huge amount of negativity about the game at the moment, not the structure which is a constant debate, but the actual game. There are loads of threads about what needs changing in the game to make it more exciting or more even or more like another sport. 

I love the game as it is at the moment, I may tweak a few things and I think a lot of the players are over coached and over structured but it is still an exiting game to watch.

Equally some times instead of looking at the bits that "need changing" you need to look at what is good and promote that more. Changing what is seen as a bad thing does not fix a problem as people can often find a way around it. However, saying "this is fantastic lets have more" can eliminate the bad with more success. 

So what is it people love about the game?

Why do you turn it on/go to the ground every week?

What makes our game "The Greatest Game" there is?

For me it's the Canadian inventions which are so fundamental to the game, the skills and commitment exhibited by the players at all times, and the way the rules come down harshly on infractions as we saw on Sunday.

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think it's the happy-go-lucky attitude of the fans that I like most :biggrin:

Well, I wish I could agree with you, Dave T, but...

I think the first 10-20mins of the toronto game v wire the other day reminded me why i love rugby league ....toronto were outstanding initially with some highly enthusiastic defence and some excellent, precise skills, at pace, in attack.....obvs it had nothing to do with the wire getting it stuck up em ?.....my faith in RL was restored...then there was some biff which i also secretly enjoyed tbh

For me it is the atmosphere and safety at grounds. The small clubs that have continued and occasionally have success. The representation of the culture of the North but also the acceptance and enthusiasm for new clubs from other locations.

The locality and approachability of the players. Seeing Stevie Ward at the local hairdresser for example.

As a spectacle the continuity of the game on the field is important. 

It is hard to explain but the excitement and anticipation when Batley kick off up the hill at Mount Pleasant is very uplifting.

Archived