Rugby League Back Chat on TotalRL

Don’t miss Rugby League Back Chat sponsored by TotalRL.com on Freesports TV this Thursday 17th May at 6.15pm.

Rod Studd is joined by Hull Kingston Rovers Chairman Neil Hudgell, Featherstone Rovers Chairman Mark Campbell and Martyn Sadler, editor of League Express.

Up for debate: Should the marquee player scheme be scrapped, what’s going wrong with the Challenge Cup and are the fixtures for the Magic Weekend actually fair?

Rugby League Back Chat, sponsored by TotalRL.com, is broadcast Thursdays on FreeSports TV, which can be found at Channel 95 on Freeview or 424 on the Sky platform plus the TV Player app. The hour-long programme is repeated several times over the weekend (check listings) and will appear here on the TotalRL.com website from 9.00am on Saturdays.

backchat-10-lineup-170518.jpg

I hope Mr Studd got round to asking about the new,better,consistency of the Disciplinary with Mr Hudgell being in the studio.

He may even wish to get round to asking about ownership/People of Influence at more than one club.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

I’m sorry but I have always been positive about the programme but this week was not so good. Hudgell sat there with his arms crossed giving short and tired sounding answers until he fired up towards the end, Campbell played the proffesional Yorkshieman card (Summer Bash at York, tests at Sheffield) combined with Rod Studds manic style as Chair I’m afraid it was’nt up to the usual high standards. 

First time I've watched a whole episode. It needs better control of the guests, people talking across each other isn't a great look.

I thought Hudgell came across well, body language apart.

Campbell was the embodiment of northern rugby league - mentioned Toronto out of the side of his mouth numerous times, including blaming them for the Championship salary cap changing when it was actually Leigh. And his comments about players losing their jobs...well, he didn't come across as someone I'd like to work for. 

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

On 5/19/2018 at 6:23 AM, RS said:

I’m sorry but I have always been positive about the programme but this week was not so good. Hudgell sat there with his arms crossed giving short and tired sounding answers until he fired up towards the end, Campbell played the proffesional Yorkshieman card (Summer Bash at York, tests at Sheffield) combined with Rod Studds manic style as Chair I’m afraid it was’nt up to the usual high standards. 

I was quite disappointed with Hudgell, he seems to come across as opinionated and not afraid to speak his mind, but he seemed totally disinterested, like he was just filling in an hour before he went out to a party or something, Martyn was prompting him to get something out of him while Studd was babbling away.

59 minutes ago, meast said:

I was quite disappointed with Hudgell, he seems to come across as opinionated and not afraid to speak his mind, but he seemed totally disinterested, like he was just filling in an hour before he went out to a party or something, Martyn was prompting him to get something out of him while Studd was babbling away.

Studd thinks he knows it all and likes the sound of his voice and consequently is not as good as Dave Woods at extracting information. Woods would have got more out of Hudgell.

On 19/05/2018 at 12:52 PM, nadera78 said:

First time I've watched a whole episode. It needs better control of the guests, people talking across each other isn't a great look.

I thought Hudgell came across well, body language apart.

Campbell was the embodiment of northern rugby league - mentioned Toronto out of the side of his mouth numerous times, including blaming them for the Championship salary cap changing when it was actually Leigh. And his comments about players losing their jobs...well, he didn't come across as someone I'd like to work for. 

Agree on the talking across eachother point. 

I think for me Hudgell epitomised a lot of the contradictory myopia of the top of SL at the moment. On the one hand wants to see the game grow, on the other can barely see past their own clubs nose. He came close a couple of times to basically saying he disagreed with jeopardy and relegation - which is frustrating. Yet on the other hand recognised the need to allow other clubs to sign marquee players if they can afford it - an attitude which i support. He had a lot of non-answers which I found iritating.

Campbell, for all his flaws in how he came across at times, did at least seem realistic in aspirations. There are a lot of frustrations to being perrenial championship clubs, but what must be most frustrating is if clubs like Widnes, Wakey, Cas and Salford would support pulling up the drawbridge when all that really separates them is the sky money.  

It was an interesting show, seen better seen worse. 

I'm afraid I can only agree with the majority of comments in that this episode didn't reach the heights of previous ones. Whether this was due to the presenter, the guests (either the actual personalities or the composition), or the topics (challenge cup, magic weekend, structure and VAR again) I don't know but I almost turned off 2/3 of the way through. Maybe one to look at and see where to improve on.

Archived