Health update.

4 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Should add that I'm not unhappy with what's been done so far. However, because I was taken by ambulance to A and E  to Boston, I now seem locked into United Lincs Hospital who don't have a good reputation overall.  It's just that I'm quite ambitious to be around,  posting on here post-surgery.

Will aim to talk it through with the GP next week.

Don’t worry about whole hospital reputations. For example, Basildon hospital has a poor reputation but is an outstanding heart operation hospital. Your GP will know it as an insider though so ask them the blunt questions. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today  had a letter rearranging next Wednesday's appointment with the cardiologist to discuss "work-up to surgery to repair seriously leaking mitral valve" owing to undisclosed unforseen circumstances. " My appointment is now......10th October. I will be telephoning the hospital tomorrow. 

31 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Today  had a letter rearranging next Wednesday's appointment with the cardiologist to discuss "work-up to surgery to repair seriously leaking mitral valve" owing to undisclosed unforseen circumstances. " My appointment is now......10th October. I will be telephoning the hospital tomorrow. 

If you’ve a good relationship with your GP then ask them to intervene if you get no joy, they have ways in that patients can’t access.  

You've probably been bumped down the list for someone who needs immediate treatment against a risk score. They then fit you in where they can so they only have the minimum disruption to the whole waiting list. The system simply fails to recognise that bumping people quite a long time down the list adds lots of extra stress to the patient, it’s there for administrative convenience, not the patients’ needs. 

You just need to convince them that the bumping should shuffle the whole list down, say for you to the week after, rather than bump you to the bottom. 

Look after yourself...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

After multiple phone calls, harnessing the the efforts of the Patient Advice and Liaison service,  I was called by the cardiologist secretary this morning with an appointment with the cardiologist for 10th August. 

Then at lunchtime I got a letter from another hospital in another foundation trust with a cardiologist appointment for 14th August. This from a visit i made to their a and e instead of attending the Magic Weekend, prior to my last visit to a and e in Boston. 

11 hours ago, JohnM said:

After multiple phone calls, harnessing the the efforts of the Patient Advice and Liaison service,  I was called by the cardiologist secretary this morning with an appointment with the cardiologist for 10th August. 

Then at lunchtime I got a letter from another hospital in another foundation trust with a cardiologist appointment for 14th August. This from a visit i made to their a and e instead of attending the Magic Weekend, prior to my last visit to a and e in Boston. 

Does this mean you now have two hearts, neither of which is working?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

39 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Does this mean you now have two hearts, neither of which is working?

Does that mean that he is a real-life Doctor Who?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

• 1 month later...

We're on the way. Confirmed "open heart" surgery for valve replace or repair at Glenfield, Leicester,  probably. More pre-op tests in September:  lung function tests, coronary angiogram.  No date for op yet but hoping for November. 

Setting up the appointments has been a nightmare of coordination, cancellations, delays, re booking at earlier dates, double bookings. Boston Pilgrim operates a Patient Advisory and Liaison Service (PALS) . Their help has been invaluable in coordinating all the compartments involved. When they said they'd do something, they did it. When they said they'd call me back, they called me back.

• 2 months later...

Phone call at 9am this morning. "Hello, I am your surgeon. Can you come to the hospital today?"

So, here I am. Pre-op checks done. They slice me open tomorrow and fit me with a new hip.

I'd almost given up on this chap. He said he would phone me in September and it's now nearly November. Still, I wasn't going to say "No", was I?

I don't think I'll be fit for the 2nd test on Sunday, but if WB wants me for the 3rd, we'll see.?

25 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

Phone call at 9am this morning. "Hello, I am your surgeon. Can you come to the hospital today?"

So, here I am. Pre-op checks done. They slice me open tomorrow and fit me with a new hip.

I'd almost given up on this chap. He said he would phone me in September and it's now nearly November. Still, I wasn't going to say "No", was I?

I don't think I'll be fit for the 2nd test on Sunday, but if WB wants me for the 3rd, we'll see.?

Good luck Tony!

26 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

Best of luck, you might get that call for the 3rd, probably be quicker than Hodgson out of dummy half?

Thanks to all who sent 'Good luck' messages.

I'm back on the ward and have spent the last 3 hours sleeping. I get the occasional urge (don't we all?) to pee and puke. I've peed twice but not puked yet. Let you know how I feel tomorrow.

Okay. Just had my first physio. About 10 steps across the room and back. God, it hurt! Dizzy snd sweating when I got back to the bed.

58 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

Okay. Just had my first physio. About 10 steps across the room and back. God, it hurt! Dizzy snd sweating when I got back to the bed.

May I recommend some good whisky to provide some additional painkilling help?

3 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

No pain, no gain. 

If you believe that , youll believe anything! ?

Get well soon

4 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

Morphine is your friend in such situations!

In a week or so you'll have forgotten all about the pain and hopefully feeling the benefits of the new hip.

Speedy recovery.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

4 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

Morphine is your friend in such situations!

In a week or so you'll have forgotten all about the pain and hopefully feeling the benefits of the new hip.

Speedy recovery.

I’m very proud to say that my surgeon said I was miraculous because I never touched my morphine after surgery .... not that I ever mention it 

34 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I’m very proud to say that my surgeon said I was miraculous because I never touched my morphine after surgery .... not that I ever mention it 

Morphine doesn't actually stop the pain, getting off your face on it just means you no longer care about it! :D

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

48 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Did you keep the prescriptions?

Asking for a friend.

I can't tolerate morphine, I'm usually throwing up within minutes of getting it.  When I had my trashed knees they ended up giving me other stuff plus a bit of diazepam so I may have been in pain but didn't really care :D

9 minutes ago, ckn said:

I can't tolerate morphine, I'm usually throwing up within minutes of getting it.  When I had my trashed knees they ended up giving me other stuff plus a bit of diazepam so I may have been in pain but didn't really care :D

Morphine in small doses was fine with me, made me a bit giddy. Oral Morphine after my third surgery in a week made me wired and had vivid hallucinations. Never again thank you

Morphine is nasty stuff. Was on it for a couple of weeks or so after having an 11 hour cancer op. Apparently told my Mrs I could see Darth Vader standing next to the bed opposite ? Turned me into a right grumpy so and so(to say the least) aswell when i went home...didnt know I was doing it!!

My wife is still on twice daily decent doses of the stuff, I’ve no idea how she does it but it doesn’t seem to have any negaive effects on her. She can even easily take a few days off occasionally without a single withdrawal effect either. 

Archived