Health update.

On 1/3/2019 at 5:31 PM, JohnM said:

Date  for op has now come through. Barring delay because of any emergencies, it'll be 26th Jan....just over 3 weeks away!  Worst bit apart from them delving into my chest to faf around with my heart is the healing of the breast  bone they've split to gain access. I'm banned for things like gardening, openning  the fridgd door, carrying shopping etc for quite some time. 

Did this happen? Should we have bought you some grapes?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JohnM had his op yesterday, coming out of surgery at 9pm.  According to his family he's doing OK and they're going to find out more this afternoon.

I passed on our best wishes as a forum.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

John’s still in hospital, hopefully out in 3-5 days.  Doing OK but unfortunately they couldn’t find a cure for his Tory beliefs.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

37 minutes ago, ckn said:

Doing OK but unfortunately they couldn’t find a cure for his Tory beliefs.

Win some, lose some.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, ckn said:

John’s still in hospital, hopefully out in 3-5 days.  Doing OK but unfortunately they couldn’t find a cure for his Tory beliefs.

Did ha say anything about his bike?

asking for a friend

Just now, JohnM said:

Still in hospital. Currently one one pipe remains to be disconnected. Been. warned about post op delerium. Think I have it, listening to the radio. 

You’ve not missed much, been a quiet half-term week with the newspapers struggling for content.

Good to see you back on here old chap.

• 4 weeks later...

So 42 hours ago I was watching the Brexit on tv debate. Then I was aware that I had lost arm missing. " hello I thought it was there a few minutes ago" I called my wife to she if she had tidy it up again. She it seemed to think I was loopy as I was talk rubbish. Of course, she is used to my talk rubbish, but it seems it was more rubbish than I usually talk. So she called for an ambulance.

Five minutes later we both had West Midland finest flying the bells and whistles as we were whipped to Walsgrave. With no to time I was in a CT scan and a load of drugs to cursing through my veins and then into a ward bed. The Doctors, nurses, technicians were brilliant  .

No it all I have to is clear the my head of the tongue twisters which keep make words a life of their own. Seems they might be ok in a few weeks

. So dear friends please if I may be a bit slow ( watch it, no need for that) but normal clap tripe ( thats not right is it ?) will be normal service will be resumed.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

1 minute ago, Bearman said:

So 42 hours ago I was watching the Brexit on tv debate. Then I was aware that I had lost arm missing. " hello I thought it was there a few minutes ago" I called my wife to she if she had tidy it up again. She it seemed to think I was loopy as I was talk rubbish. Of course, she is used to my talk rubbish, but it seems it was more rubbish than I usually talk. So she called for an ambulance. Five minutes later we both had West Midland finest flying the bells and whistles as we were whipped to Walsgrave. With no to time I was in a CT scan and a load of drugs to cursing through my veins and then into a ward bed. The Doctors, nurses, technicians were brilliant bed . No it all I have to is clear the my head of the tongue twisters which keep make words a life of their own. Seems they might be ok in a few weeks

. So dear friends please if I may be a bit slow ( watch it, no need for that) but normal clap tripe ( thats not right is it ?) will be normal service will be resumed.

Always said that watching Brexit debates is bad for your health. Hope you're on the road to recovery.

"Clap tripe" may have to become some kind of TRL shorthand for something though. It's too good a phrase to lose.

19 minutes ago, Bearman said:

So 42 hours ago I was watching the Brexit on tv debate. Then I was aware that I had lost arm missing. " hello I thought it was there a few minutes ago" I called my wife to she if she had tidy it up again. She it seemed to think I was loopy as I was talk rubbish. Of course, she is used to my talk rubbish, but it seems it was more rubbish than I usually talk. So she called for an ambulance.

Five minutes later we both had West Midland finest flying the bells and whistles as we were whipped to Walsgrave. With no to time I was in a CT scan and a load of drugs to cursing through my veins and then into a ward bed. The Doctors, nurses, technicians were brilliant  .

No it all I have to is clear the my head of the tongue twisters which keep make words a life of their own. Seems they might be ok in a few weeks

I hear there may be an opening for Brexit Secretary next week.  Try not to improve too much or you may exceed the requirements for the job!

Best wishes for a quick recovery!

25 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Best wishes for a speedy, effective and long lasting recovery. Still in hospital? 

The forum is changing from the main Muppet Show to Statler and Waldorf heckling from the sidelines given that we’re all ageing ? 

Saw my Oncologist this week to discuss my scan and bloods results, and good news is im still cancer free! Three years in remission in June so happy days :-)

Spent 8 weeks until last week in Hospital with then trying to work out my Fever etc and still no answers just guess work. Glad they have WIFI .Hopefully its the Cancer in the Bonemarrow, but cant be sure. One Doc said that they only know about 5% of viruses and that it could be an unknown virus. Checked for Malaria etc and even my Port and Stomach for any bacteria and couldnt find anything. They agreed to let me home, but due to my Blood Levels etc being low I have to go 3 to 4 times a week to the local Hospital for Blood Check etc. I then get Blood Results within 30 Minutes of that.

Looking at a Stem Cell using my Sisters who is a 100% Match. Has anybody gone through this at all? I have also asked on Cancer sites as the more experiences and info the better for me.

3 hours ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Spent 8 weeks until last week in Hospital with then trying to work out my Fever etc and still no answers just guess work. Glad they have WIFI .Hopefully its the Cancer in the Bonemarrow, but cant be sure. One Doc said that they only know about 5% of viruses and that it could be an unknown virus. Checked for Malaria etc and even my Port and Stomach for any bacteria and couldnt find anything. They agreed to let me home, but due to my Blood Levels etc being low I have to go 3 to 4 times a week to the local Hospital for Blood Check etc. I then get Blood Results within 30 Minutes of that.

Looking at a Stem Cell using my Sisters who is a 100% Match. Has anybody gone through this at all? I have also asked on Cancer sites as the more experiences and info the better for me.

Good luck

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

3 hours ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

I have absolutely no experience of anything like this, either personally or in my family. All I can do is wish you all the best for a full and speedy recovery.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

11 hours ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Blooming eck! Kinda puts everything else into perspective. I trust it all gets resolved very soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from Glenfield Hospital in Leicester after post-op check up. The replacement mitral valve is working  but they can't fix the AF. That will be done my adjusting the medication I'm already on.  Recovery is slow (breastbone healing well but will take another 4 months to regain pre-op strength).  7 weeks after operation, still tire very easily, am not allowed to lift anything more than 5 to 10 lbs.

Now discharged to local hospital and cardiologist.

Still, there are people in a much worse state than me on here, so to them all - get well soon.

• 1 month later...

Things not great at Moment.  We stopped the Therapy due my low blood count. My HB is between 7 and 8 since months and Red and White platelets are dangerously low. I risk bleeding to death very quickly as blood does not clot. Have to take something to help prevent this happening. I need blood every week.Its worrying, but hope the Bone Marrow Biopsy on monday gives some answers. The likely answer is bone marrow is blocked by cancer cells or damaged. Possible solution high Dosage Chemo followed by stem cells from me and my Sister. She is a 100% match! I am very frightened.

For once, I just don't know what to say. There are not the words.  Just this, possibly.  Whatever our differences, I'm sure the whole of the forum is wishing you the best. If you want to sound off and rant without  upsetting those near and dear to you, you can always PM me ( and others, I'm sure) to vent your feelings in complete confidence.

Blimey, LRL! That sounds frightening. Try to stay positive, keep following doctor's advice and, as JohnM said above, rant away via PM if you need to. It is good that your sister is a 100% match. Good luck!

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

7 hours ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Things not great at Moment.  We stopped the Therapy due my low blood count. My HB is between 7 and 8 since months and Red and White platelets are dangerously low. I risk bleeding to death very quickly as blood does not clot. Have to take something to help prevent this happening. I need blood every week.Its worrying, but hope the Bone Marrow Biopsy on monday gives some answers. The likely answer is bone marrow is blocked by cancer cells or damaged. Possible solution high Dosage Chemo followed by stem cells from me and my Sister. She is a 100% match! I am very frightened.

Right, well if we had a competition going on here then you’ve just won.

Hopefully, you’ll get some answers soon and things begin to improve. It sounds like it’s going to be a long journey whatever so know that we’re all on it with you. If you want to, keep us up to date with how things are going.

Archived