Health update.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My problems are insignificant compared to others on here ,and my very best wishes go out to everyone.

4 or 5 years ago I went to the docs with pain in both knees.

X rays revealed arthritis in both Knees.

The doc says lose weight and go the physio route.

I had to ring for a phone call appointment with the physio which took about 3 months.

I have done all the excercises the physio suggested over the phone.

I have lost 2 and a half stone in weight since Xmas.

I am now in agony and daren't go back to my GP .What's he going to suggest next.

9 hours ago, gittinsfan said:

My problems are insignificant compared to others on here ,and my very best wishes go out to everyone.

4 or 5 years ago I went to the docs with pain in both knees.

X rays revealed arthritis in both Knees.

The doc says lose weight and go the physio route.

I had to ring for a phone call appointment with the physio which took about 3 months.

I have done all the excercises the physio suggested over the phone.

I have lost 2 and a half stone in weight since Xmas.

I am now in agony and daren't go back to my GP .What's he going to suggest next.

What pain relief are you on?

Whatever else you talk to your GP about - and do go back and talk to your GP - talk about that.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

36 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

What pain relief are you on?

Whatever else you talk to your GP about - and do go back and talk to your GP - talk about that.

Co-Codamol.I try to limit that as much as possible otherwise I have constipation problems.

I will go back to my GP and try and get it sorted.

The joys of getting old eh?

Had another seizure on the sea-front yesterday (I am epileptic since I was 7), but this time, because of the weather, I was just in flip-flops, I think I may have broken my big toe on my left foot. Increased pain during the night, can't weight bear, toe is swollen, and no pain killers until Boots opens.

59 minutes ago, gittinsfan said:

Co-Codamol.I try to limit that as much as possible otherwise I have constipation problems.

Your GP can refer you to pain management clinics where they can consider a much wider range of treatments and drugs, your GP can even do quite a lot themselves, but if it’s getting to that level then you’re probably in line for joint replacement considerations.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Well Ive got three(!) hospital appointments next week now! One is to have my portacath fitted for my chemo, which I still dont know when it starts and have a mystery MRI scan aswell, which I have no idea  why Im having it and also who booked it??

Oh and I have some sort of infection down below which antibiotics havent cleared up and my GP dosent know what it is, so have to make an appointment with Urology to investigate...thing is they dont have any appointments!!!! Dont think its anything sinister, otherwise my regular CT scans would have picked it up im presuming....just another thing to stress out about!

I dunno I must of broken a few mirrors or something!!

13 hours ago, gittinsfan said:

I was given some lovely weapons-grade stuff from my GP when I had "The Pain" earlier in the year. I had to take some senna tablets or else I'd have probably gone two weeks without pooing and not even noticed.

When I went to the physio - NHS referral - he said not to worry about taking pain relief (his mentality was the more the merrier) because in his view it helps you get your body to try and work normally again without the fear of that hurting. Of course, this was after he'd checked me over for joint issues (I don't need a new hip but I am ripe for arthritis) which sound like they might be more of an issue for you.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Had another seizure on the sea-front yesterday (I am epileptic since I was 7), but this time, because of the weather, I was just in flip-flops, I think I may have broken my big toe on my left foot. Increased pain during the night, can't weight bear, toe is swollen, and no pain killers until Boots opens.

Told you the seafront was dangerous. Hope you're okay.

3 hours ago, Gray1967 said:

Well Ive got three(!) hospital appointments next week now! One is to have my portacath fitted for my chemo, which I still dont know when it starts and have a mystery MRI scan aswell, which I have no idea  why Im having it and also who booked it??

Oh and I have some sort of infection down below which antibiotics havent cleared up and my GP dosent know what it is, so have to make an appointment with Urology to investigate...thing is they dont have any appointments!!!! Dont think its anything sinister, otherwise my regular CT scans would have picked it up im presuming....just another thing to stress out about!

I dunno I must of broken a few mirrors or something!!

Do you get a free latte in the cafe if you have three appointments in a week?

18 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

There’s a secret frequent-flyer list with points per treatment.  For example: 20 MRIs and you get access to the non-claustrophobic scanners. 50 and you get access to their VIP lounges.  100 and the Platinum Lounge is yours.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

On 04/07/2019 at 21:42, gingerjon said:

Think I should do really...although I do get a free sandwich, some fruit and unlimited hot drinks, when I have my Chemo...or at least I did when I had it last time. So every cloud and all that!

Turns out my Oncologist booked the mystery Pelvic  MRI Scan this week...my nurse said that he "Just wanted to check the CT hadnt missed anything".... Which to my cynical self, suggests he has picked something else up on the CT scan in the Pelvic area, which is worrying cos thats where the original cancer was!

4 hours ago, Gray1967 said:

Turns out my Oncologist booked the mystery Pelvic  MRI Scan this week...my nurse said that he "Just wanted to check the CT hadnt missed anything".... Which to my cynical self, suggests he has picked something else up on the CT scan in the Pelvic area, which is worrying cos thats where the original cancer was!

Bum. That is not good.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

On 04/07/2019 at 21:40, gingerjon said:

I was given some lovely weapons-grade stuff from my GP when I had "The Pain" earlier in the year. I had to take some senna tablets or else I'd have probably gone two weeks without pooing and not even noticed.

When I went to the physio - NHS referral - he said not to worry about taking pain relief (his mentality was the more the merrier) because in his view it helps you get your body to try and work normally again without the fear of that hurting. Of course, this was after he'd checked me over for joint issues (I don't need a new hip but I am ripe for arthritis) which sound like they might be more of an issue for you.

The advice given out by the physioterrorists round here is to take pain killers before physio as it helps you with the exercises as they don't hurt so much.

The lead GP here says , yes, take the pain killers  for the same reason.

I'm a big fan of physio - strength, flexibility, mobility and joint stability - cos it does work. 

One Zapain ( 30 mg codeine and 500mg paracetamol) at night is countered by bran flakes and prunes. 

11 hours ago, JohnM said:

The advice given out by the physioterrorists round here is to take pain killers before physio as it helps you with the exercises as they don't hurt so much.

I'm a big fan of physio - strength, flexibility, mobility and joint stability - cos it does work. 

One Zapain ( 30 mg codeine and 500mg paracetamol) at night is countered by bran flakes and prunes. 

Seems like we had similar physios. If I wasn’t dripping in sweat or tears, I wasn’t doing it correctly.

20 minutes ago, getdownmonkeyman said:

Seems like we had similar physios. If I wasn’t dripping in sweat or tears, I wasn’t doing it correctly.

My physio was a lovely lady who assured me that I was allowed to swear at her.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

13 hours ago, JohnM said:

The trick with anti-inflammatories is to keep the dose up. My consultant when I trashed my knees in the army said anything under 4 x 400mg ibuprofen equally spread over a day and you lose the effect. Under that dose it’s just a painkiller, at or just over and you get whole system benefits. Be mindful of the gut/stomach damage it can cause though, always take after food. 

As an aside probably not relevant to you i was getting huge pain in my knees - really struggled with training and the next day even getting out of bed. Then on someones advice i started drinking more water - 2 litres in the afternoon before an evening training session and I am in far less pain and am more mobile despite being similar weight (but i do need lots of visits to the loo). Was told as you get older and heavier your meniscus needs  more hydration to properly cushion the surfaces and arthritis makes that worse

It may be bunkem but it is a free/cheap thing you can try and it works for me

5 hours ago, SSoutherner said:

As an aside probably not relevant to you i was getting huge pain in my knees - really struggled with training and the next day even getting out of bed. Then on someones advice i started drinking more water - 2 litres in the afternoon before an evening training session and I am in far less pain and am more mobile despite being similar weight (but i do need lots of visits to the loo). Was told as you get older and heavier your meniscus needs  more hydration to properly cushion the surfaces and arthritis makes that worse

I started to get a lot of calf trouble for a few years. Drinking lots of water certainly improved it to the point were( touch wood) it’s basically gone. 

11 hours ago, SSoutherner said:

Might be an old  wives tale but I've just downed 2 pints of water

Trivial perhaps,  but I have been feeling off for a few days and stinking.

Turns out the missus has been feeding me high fibre bread.

We have both agreed it was a bad idea.

A quick visit to the docs last week due to feeling under the weather - something I had put down to a 'virus' showed that I have an irregular heartbeat (Atrial Fibrilliation). 

Within 12 hours I had had 2 ECG tests, blood tests, chest x-ray, blood-thinning medication prescribed and had seen two doctors. Brilliant NHS, I didn't have to pay a penny on the day, not even to park, or for my prescription.

I now have an appointment with a Cardiologist who will inspect me further, but at the moment I am just feeling a little crappy and fatigued. Fingers crossed it can be fixed (or fixes itself) rather than be on medication for the rest of my life. 

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

A quick visit to the docs last week due to feeling under the weather - something I had put down to a 'virus' showed that I have an irregular heartbeat (Atrial Fibrilliation). 

Within 12 hours I had had 2 ECG tests, blood tests, chest x-ray, blood-thinning medication prescribed and had seen two doctors. Brilliant NHS, I didn't have to pay a penny on the day, not even to park, or for my prescription.

I now have an appointment with a Cardiologist who will inspect me further, but at the moment I am just feeling a little crappy and fatigued. Fingers crossed it can be fixed (or fixes itself) rather than be on medication for the rest of my life. 

So you have a broken heart?

I've heard songs about you.

Archived