SKY Have Shafted the Sport Again

They’ve done it again haven’t they, they’ve bought the rites to show a Rugby League competition and basically done the bare minimum in terms of airing it!

On this occasion its the NRL (again)

last year I had the opportunity to watch every game live, if I missed a match it was replayed at some point, I got to watch The Footy Show, NRL Fulltime and various specials as well. SKY have cut their coverage down to 2 or 3 games and that’s it, no replays nothing else at all. I shouldn’t be surprised as their track record is identicke but it’s peeing me off nonetheless.

They don’t care one iota about the viewers desires they just want to have the only show in Town so they don’t lose your money.

They literally cant win can they?

They want yi show 2 or 3 games a week and the NRl want some exclusive content for their NRL app for 22 quid a month.

And the viewers dont want all the games plus all the extras. The viewing figures are incredibly low.

8 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

They’ve done it again haven’t they, they’ve bought the rites to show a Rugby League competition and basically done the bare minimum in terms of airing it!

On this occasion its the NRL (again)

last year I had the opportunity to watch every game live, if I missed a match it was replayed at some point, I got to watch The Footy Show, NRL Fulltime and various specials as well.

1. SKY have cut their coverage down to 2 or 3 games and that’s it

2. no replays nothing else at all. I shouldn’t be surprised as their track record is identicke but it’s peeing me off nonetheless.

3. They don’t care one iota about the viewers desires they just want to have the only show in Town so they don’t lose your money.

1. Sky haven't cut their coverage. Premier Sports held the rights previously. Yes, Sky's coverage is less than Premiers, but they have other content to air as well. In comparison to when Sky previously held the rights, I think they used to show two games per week, so there are actually more on at the moment.

2. Why bother with a replay when you can just record it? 

3. Well, yeah - they're a business

Does anybody know whether the deal limits SKY to a number of games per week?

While I understand the arguments above, there is no live sport on Sky Sports Action this morning and I would have thought live NRL would be better than docurepeats.

I am watching the Raiders Manly game on Watchnrl.com and will watch the Cowboys Melbourne game later this morning but I would watch them on Sky if they were showing them.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Yeh I can see the arguments to , but I also see the commercial reality of sport now . I got all the games for a few quid and shows , and now it’s two pronged and more expensive to follow.  I do agree they probably have more slots they can fill but then again I’m looking from a perspective of a fan . 

If there is any anger it should be aimed at the NRL. They previously had a UK deal which allowed for all games for around a tenner a month. Now they want double that themselves.

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If there is any anger it should be aimed at the NRL. They previously had a UK deal which allowed for all games for around a tenner a month. Now they want double that themselves.

If they lose fewer than half the people that paid £10 then they're "winning" from a finance person's mind.  Modern sport financial management in a nutshell.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

They have cut their coverage, earlier in the season they showed more games on both Friday and Saturday.

Premier Sport thought it was OK to show every game live plus replays so why is it a bigger company like SKY can’t make it work commercially?

This morning we’ve got 2 channels showing Southern Hemisphere Union why not show that on one channel and NRL on the other?

Its poor and it’s not the first time.

2 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

They have cut their coverage, earlier in the season they showed more games on both Friday and Saturday.

Premier Sport thought it was OK to show every game live plus replays so why is it a bigger company like SKY can’t make it work commercially?

This morning we’ve got 2 channels showing Southern Hemisphere Union why not show that on one channel and NRL on the other?

At a guess, because they have agreed to show, on average, 3 games per week. And all three are being shown tomorrow morning. 

1 hour ago, OMEGA said:

Sky have shown 3 NRL games since they brought it back, starting off doing Thurs/Fridays.

Tomorrow they are showing 3 games.

Last week they showed 5 games.

They haven't cut their coverage.

1 hour ago, ckn said:

If they lose fewer than half the people that paid £10 then they're "winning" from a finance person's mind.  Modern sport financial management in a nutshell.

Plus they have the reach and probably finances from Sky for their coverage.

The other thing about the set Saturday morning slot is to suit Oz audiences it seems some sides have ‘ their ‘tv slot so can have teams you see much more often and not always the biggest weekly games. Be good if they could at least mix n match a bit more

The Watch NRL app is superb. I enjoy the shows and debates as much as the games. Have it on in the office all the time it is well worth the money IMO.

The UK game really missed a trick not doing quality content centrally and building a market. I honestly thought that was what the Our League app was for. If they did it right then you would probably not have all these splinter groups trying to have a crack at the market and doing an okay but half-arsed job. 

What has anything of this to do with Sky? If the NRL are only selling three games a week there’s not much Sky or any other broadcaster can do. 

It’s the same in every overseas territory, France for example only get a maximum of three games as well  

NRL are pushing their own app to keep the revenue. 

Seems weird to attack Sky

9 minutes ago, Spidey said:

What has anything of this to do with Sky? If the NRL are only selling three games a week there’s not much Sky or any other broadcaster can do. 

It’s the same in every overseas territory, France for example only get a maximum of three games as well  

NRL are pushing their own app to keep the revenue. 

Seems weird to attack Sky

Is that part of the deal . That they can only show three games ? 

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

The WatchNRL app gives you all games live and to watch whenever you want. You also get a good number of shows such as Matty Johns tonight and live access to Fox RL channel where you can also watch SL. All this has cost me £112 for the year. 

Excellent value and really enjoying it.

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Is that part of the deal . That they can only show three games ? 

Yes, there may be some flexibility like last week when they showed 5, it’s probably a season total that works out at 3 per week

If thats the package that the NRL were selling there’s not much more Sky can do about it

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Yes, there may be some flexibility like last week when they showed 5, it’s probably a season total that works out at 3 per week

If thats the package that the NRL were selling there’s not much more Sky can do about it

Righto . I guess it’s just what they choose to show and when in that case  then 

29 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Well, as I didn't subscribe to Premier Sports, I'm actually really enjoying Sky's coverage of NRL on a Saturday morning :ninja:

Same. Jealous of those who have time to watch 10-15 rugby games per week, but the couple of NRL games I can now catch on a Saturday morning is a nice treat.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

The NRL want you to sign up to the WatchNRL app, the deal for broadcasting on UK TV just included a certain number of games  - it has nothing to do with Sky shafting customers, thats the only option they had - that or not show anything.

51 minutes ago, Marrafan said:

The WatchNRL app gives you all games live and to watch whenever you want. You also get a good number of shows such as Matty Johns tonight and live access to Fox RL channel where you can also watch SL. All this has cost me £112 for the year. 

Excellent value and really enjoying it.

Aye, but I suspect you will be part of a very niche market, the app on Android suggests c10k downloads, I assume that will be worldwide.

£112 for 6 months of NRL coverage is more expensive than Premier last year.

For me the benefit of the Premier deal was that I could series link the whole round and choose which games to watch... my interest is the NRL teams with an English contingent so Souths, St George and Canberra whose games I will watch as a priority. I can't do this with Sky choosing which games to broadcast so the Watchnrl option is great.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Sky shows NRL Try Time at 8pm hosted by the lovely Lara Pitt on Wednesdays, which is an improvement on Fulltime.

The benefit of Watch NRL over Premier is access to a 24/7 rugby league channel.

I don't watch all the shows (not mad keen on the 'comedy' efforts) but I usually watch Big League Wrap on Mondays, The Fan/Try Time on Tuesdays and League Life/The Greatest on Wednesdays. Keeps me going between Super League/NRL games at the weekend!

Watch NRL can be now downloaded on Apple TV by the way (on the models which can download apps, anyway), which works extremely well.

Archived