SKY Have Shafted the Sport Again

37 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

For me the benefit of the Premier deal was that I could series link the whole round and choose which games to watch... my interest is the NRL teams with an English contingent so Souths, St George and Canberra whose games I will watch as a priority. I can't do this with Sky choosing which games to broadcast so the Watchnrl option is great.

Yep, this is the thing I miss, as some games hold little interest. I would probably only ever watch 2 games at most (often while doing other things) but at least with Premier I could choose which ones.

That level of interest isn't worth £22 a month though to me.

1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

Same. Jealous of those who have time to watch 10-15 rugby games per week, but the couple of NRL games I can now catch on a Saturday morning is a nice treat.

That sounds like a veiled accusation about mine and other's productivity! :mellow:

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Aye, but I suspect you will be part of a very niche market, the app on Android suggests c10k downloads, I assume that will be worldwide.

£112 for 6 months of NRL coverage is more expensive than Premier last year.

It’s for 12 months and I can watch all games Sky show so saves me a Sky sports subscription. Niche or not works out cheaper than Sky.

Also, you don't need to use the app.  I have subscribed and just use the watchnrl.com website and stream straight from there so I will not show up in the app download numbers.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Does anybody know whether the deal limits SKY to a number of games per week?

While I understand the arguments above, there is no live sport on Sky Sports Action this morning and I would have thought live NRL would be better than docurepeats.

I am watching the Raiders Manly game on Watchnrl.com and will watch the Cowboys Melbourne game later this morning but I would watch them on Sky if they were showing them.

Yes Sky are limited to three per week. That's all that was on offer from Fox Sports who had rights to sell to TV in UK & USA markets, not the NRL themselves. Fox prioritising the app they run. Yes Premier showed them all but this rights cycle was not a bidding process more Fox finding a partner that suits them. 

4 minutes ago, Bilko said:

Yes Sky are limited to three per week. That's all that was on offer from Fox Sports who had rights to sell to TV in UK & USA markets, not the NRL themselves. Fox prioritising the app they run. Yes Premier showed them all but this rights cycle was not a bidding process more Fox finding a partner that suits them. 

Thanks Bilko

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived