Summer Bash

The Lad

Diabolical.

our fates pretty much sealed now we are going down, time for some fresh impetus from somewhere let’s make some changes ahead of next year (ideally we could start to look outside of Warrington for players and coaches)

Currently being out played, out muscled, out enthused by bottom of the league Swinton. Shambles in patches and totally ruderless 

Firstly, well done Swinton.

As for Hornets - clueless, individualistic and directionless. We did not do the club any favours on this important showcase.

We 'll see how we respond next week, but at the moment and with the games to come - start preparing for League 1 - we are now closer to it.

Sorry for those who made the Bash.

PS. Alas, Dewsbury's win tonight makes our stay in the Championship much less likely.

2 hours ago, ormskirknet said:

Diabolical.

our fates pretty much sealed now we are going down, time for some fresh impetus from somewhere let’s make some changes ahead of next year (ideally we could start to look outside of Warrington for players and coaches)

Currently being out played, out muscled, out enthused by bottom of the league Swinton. Shambles in patches and totally ruderless 

Would you make a change now? Seems like the club happy to go down 

9 hours ago, Ainsdale66 said:

Was it take your kid to work day? The coach should have been concentrating on his job rather than baby sitting - appalling performance from the team today.

Maybe Hornets can`t afford an assistant coach,but obviously the young man was Alan Kilshaw`s lad,who cares? Kilshaw wasn`t the one missing tackles,dropping the ball and generally playing an awful game against a side who wanted to win far more that our players did. Let`s hope they learn summat from this shambles and stick it to the Lions next week.

1 hour ago, DiddyDave said:

Maybe Hornets can`t afford an assistant coach,but obviously the young man was Alan Kilshaw`s lad,who cares? Kilshaw wasn`t the one missing tackles,dropping the ball and generally playing an awful game against a side who wanted to win far more that our players did. Let`s hope they learn summat from this shambles and stick it to the Lions next week.

...but it is his job to motivate the team and coach them to do the basics such as tackle, catch the ball and play with pride. As you say, lets hope they improve next week.

5 hours ago, DiddyDave said:

I know what your saying about the young lad Dave, it matters not but those players are all his squad now, he’s bombed much better players out of the club to make way for most of these lads, it’s his team his players he’s responsible for the performances end of.

we’ve been on a learning curve in this league for 2 seasons now the club is stagnant and need fresh impetus off the pitch and on it. We had nothing yesterday, no spark, no direction no power no pace; nothing. The amount of mates who’ve said to me ‘how bad were Hornets yesterday’ is untrue.

Im fed up of the same old post match rubbish, refs fault, encouraging display etc etc. At least we got a new one yesterday ‘the young lads froze in front of the cameras’......absolute rhubarb.

next week will be better eh?

We all know it was a bad performance, generally, but I think the final result was way out of proportion. A few very important mistakes from the officials, putting us on the back foot, did have a great affect on the final score line. If we can complete sets, I don't see any reason why we can't reverse the result next week. The decision with Dec Kay retrieving the kick from touch was abysmal, as well as the Tyson try decision from the great Ganson sat screen watching and one unbelievable knock on given. Just frustration all round.

All out attack and almost scoring at one end resulting in conceding at the other from a breakaway is just one result of chasing the game, it generally just gets further away from you.

Let's keep the faith, especially when we're on the floor. Onward and Upward.

I, like most true Hornets fans was disappointed with the result, however, I think it is totally unfair to blame Alan Kilshaw, who, as we all know,  is totally dedicated to the club. The blame should be directed at the pathetic following the club has

What is the coach supposed to do, apart from play young inexperienced players, due to the total lack of funds required to purchase more experienced players.

hasnt this always been the case at Hornets.  I was fortunate enough to be speaking to Frank Myler (in my opinion one of the best coaches we had) who told me that despite his reluctance to leave Hornets, there was never any money to improve the team.

This was my first taste of viewing a full Hornets game since last year's Bash and the heroics of beating Oldham. The main disappointments were the lack of teamwork and on-field direction compared to those of Swinton. They also moved forward quicker as a unit with purpose/skill and were really fired-up, especially after ht. They seemed a much bigger team too.  Our financial woes and injuries haven't helped matters (Swinton have had their share of problems too). The Championship is tough place for blooding youngsters without a larger nucleus of support from experienced players  - the latter have been too few for too often,  for whatever reason. 

Looking towards the end games before the Shield, all those in the mix have tough fixtures, largely against the top 6.  Obviously, the teams with the most wins (if any) against those will be in pole position.  Our "easiest" are versus Swinton, twice!   Unless we up our game substantially,  more of the Shield games will have to be won than lost to avoid relegation to what is becoming a equally tough comp.  Perhaps that's where we will have to find our level, live within our means, a chance of enjoying more equal competition, perhaps with Swinton & Oldham for banter?  The Championship next season could have 6 full-time financially backed outfits leading into a SL2.

For now, let's hope that we get a huge response next week and finish the season on a high.

2 hours ago, cretanhornet said:

I, like most true Hornets fans was disappointed with the result, however, I think it is totally unfair to blame Alan Kilshaw, who, as we all know,  is totally dedicated to the club. The blame should be directed at the pathetic following the club has

What is the coach supposed to do, apart from play young inexperienced players, due to the total lack of funds required to purchase more experienced players.

hasnt this always been the case at Hornets.  I was fortunate enough to be speaking to Frank Myler (in my opinion one of the best coaches we had) who told me that despite his reluctance to leave Hornets, there was never any money to improve the team.

The team doesn't have a pathetic following at all. It has an exceptional following of noisy, passionate committed fans. What I think you're trying to say that the club needs more supporters like them.

IMAG0394_zpsvjvgze6q.jpg

I think the entrance fee was considerable higher than the average for other away games. Why would people pay higher prices to watch us play the same team we play the following week.  The economics of rugby league outside SL are not sustainable (and I doubt the economics of superleague are - only one reduced TV contract away from disaster)

Having moved to Brisbane recently there are interesting contrasts between lower league clubs. Here in Australia the booze and food is cheaper at the club than in the pubs, not the other way around. Entrance to the QRL games is $10 (about 7quid but if you are a member of the NRL club that they are affiliated with its half price (or in the case of Titans feeder clubs its free!). Each team has its own ground and club, many of them with great histories. Nothing like a beer in the chook pen at Wynnum, former home of King Wally.

I am not suggesting we adopt everything Australian but maybe its worth looking to see if we can learn anything from the economics side of the game.

Archived