Wigan Warriors partner with West Wales Raiders

I thought Ian Lenagan wanted to kill all rugby league below Super League and was the devil incarnate? Make your bloody mind up Ian!

Should hopefully be beneficial for them. I'm sure we attempted something similar with the South Wales Scorpions but I don't know how successful it was. Still, there's clearly some talent within schools in Wales but there's a lack of opportunities to progress further.

This partnership seems different than the South Wales one, with the focus more on helping establishing / improving pathways at the Junior and Student levels.

It seems to be mainly providing access to coaching resources, some budget to run a series of clinics and events and so on. Less so about dual registration or sending all the best players from Llanelli to Wigan.

Still, I'm sure that there is plenty of upside to Wigan, but if nothing else, it is a significant vote of confidence for the Raiders and should minimise concerns that they won't be here next season.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

From what I hear I think the focus is predominantly around youth development and providing pathways for young players.

Working together both clubs can probably deliver a unique environment for players aged 14-19 so that their opportunities to develop are pitched at the right level in the first instance with a significant amount of support and expertise on offer.

I believe WWR currently have an U15/16's team and they are looking to run some for of academy in the future.

The partnership may also provide a pathway for further/additional development that will see some of the younger players potentially progress into an elite academy environment.

The flip side is that the partnership may also provide playing opportunities for those players who may not go on to get a first grade SL contract after U19's, but still need/want to keep developing as players, which Championship 1 RL can certainly provide.

All the education links that WWR have to establishments such as Coleg y Cymoedd and University of South Wales etc also means that young players can link there education to various initiatives associated with playing professional RL in South Wales.

The talent pool down in South Wales is phenomenal, if this partnership helps to grow and develop that and assist community clubs and coaches in their efforts to grow and develop themselves as a collective and individuals, then its a win/win for both clubs and the sport in general in South Wales.

Certainly the resources, expertise and support any SL club could provide to the region will be hugely valuable.

10 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

This partnership seems different than the South Wales one, with the focus more on helping establishing / improving pathways at the Junior and Student levels.

It seems to be mainly providing access to coaching resources, some budget to run a series of clinics and events and so on. Less so about dual registration or sending all the best players from Llanelli to Wigan.

Still, I'm sure that there is plenty of upside to Wigan, but if nothing else, it is a significant vote of confidence for the Raiders and should minimise concerns that they won't be here next season.

There should be another announcement from West Wales Raiders in the forthcoming weeks.

They don't sit on their hands...:yes: :dancer:

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

11 hours ago, Damien said:

I'm all for these types of partnerships with clubs in expansion areas however I don't recall the partnership with South Wales amounting to too much and even recall complaints from the South Wales side.

Yeah, must admit, I got a sense of deja vu, I didn't know their last partnership with Welsh Rugby League had ended.

1 hour ago, Jim Prendle said:

Shaun Wane as coach from next season?

An interesting suggestion.

I hadn't heard that one.

I think his Wigan-ness precludes him by lacking Welshness.

He does play developed local players,that is for certain.

I think the cost of assistant coaches and development coaches may be prohibitive.

I like your thinking,though.:negative: :codemafia:

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Archived