Sutton off to Canberra

Hope he goes well. Three English lads to follow at the Raiders next year.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/30/canberra-raiders-sign-english-prop-ryan-sutton-to-boost-pack/

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 minutes ago, Copa said:

I think he could go ok.  At first glance he doesn't look much of an athlete but he is tough and has a good work rate. He actually reminds me a little in playing style of Jake Trbojevic.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I think he could go ok.  At first glance he doesn't look much of an athlete but he is tough and has a good work rate. He actually reminds me a little in playing style of Jake Trbojevic.

I’d agree . At times I’m thinking he’s a good prop but not really seeing this level tbh , but said that with Hodgson . So good on him for taking the plunge and good luck to him , interesting to see how he comes on

Another Mike Cooper? 

Goes across as an average Super League prop.  Soon returns no better but gets the prized "played in the NRL" .

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Best of luck to him. Reckon he might need a couple of NRL pre-seasons before we see the best of him, but all the best regardless.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

11 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Another Mike Cooper? 

Goes across as an average Super League prop.  Soon returns no better but gets the prized "played in the NRL" .

Soon returns? Cooper had 3 years and over 70 games at St George - pretty highly thought of over there.

He was certainly average when he left, came back a much better player though - this season especially is playing very well.

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

The shambles of Wigans player retention/recruitment continues.

I agree with that comment.

I have no idea what Wigan are thinking about at the moment. Tomkins gone, Sutton gone, McIlorum gone, Bateman probably on his way, Wane gone, and no sign of any replacements excepting Hardaker who I would rather we had avoided.

Strange times at Wigan.

Sutton's a good player, but not a star player. However, he is still young, and could well develop further with the different challenges of a new team and competition.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

I have no idea what Wigan are thinking about at the moment. Tomkins gone, Sutton gone, McIlorum gone, Bateman probably on his way, Wane gone, and no sign of any replacements excepting Hardaker who I would rather we had avoided.

Strange times at Wigan.

I fear it is the Lenaghan way. How much power and control did he have when he was involved with the Bronquins.

34 minutes ago, Alffi 7 said:

Soon returns? Cooper had 3 years and over 70 games at St George - pretty highly thought of over there.

He was certainly average when he left, came back a much better player though - this season especially is playing very well.

Did well and highly thought of , they wanted to keep him

This is a good move IMO - I watch Canberra a lot and he'll fit right in with how they play. Getting a nice little English contingent down there now with Whitehead, Hodgson, Sutton.......Bateman? 

In terms of Wigan, I've not seen a mass exodus of the like for some years but one thing I am sure of is there will be a grand plan. Whether it'll work or backfire i'm really not sure - I just remember a similar feeling at Leeds about 10 years ago after they lost a few 'key' players....the rest is history. 

36 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Strange times at Wigan.

They have 6 in the England academy Jim, so they must be doing something right.

I think they’re due a ‘marquee’ marquee player though.  Or, have those days, with exchange rate affordability, gone?

3 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

They have 6 in the England academy Jim, so they must be doing something right.

I think they’re due a ‘marquee’ marquee player though.  Or, have those days, with exchange rate affordability, gone?

At the youth levels they are doing as well as any of the clubs, and far better than most. However, as much as I enjoy seeing the local youngsters come through the ranks, I do sometimes wonder if Wigan will ever sign the top stars like others seem to do.

I also know that many Wigan supporters are getting a bit brassed off that one the supposed "glamour" clubs don't seem to be able/willing to attract the type of player that will get you off your seat.

Anyway, I could be completely wrong, and Wigan might have Sam Burgess, Greg Inglis and Shaun Johnson lined up for next year.

11 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

At the youth levels they are doing as well as any of the clubs, and far better than most. However, as much as I enjoy seeing the local youngsters come through the ranks, I do sometimes wonder if Wigan will ever sign the top stars like others seem to do.

I also know that many Wigan supporters are getting a bit brassed off that one the supposed "glamour" clubs don't seem to be able/willing to attract the type of player that will get you off your seat.

Anyway, I could be completely wrong, and Wigan might have Sam Burgess, Greg Inglis and Shaun Johnson lined up for next year.

Would involve mega bucks, but we live in hope!

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

The shambles of Wigans player retention/recruitment continues.

Agreed. For all the plaudits that Wane and Lenegan get, from some, its worrying that young players see the club as merely a stepping stone to a move to the NRL or RU.

The every player is replaceable philosophy doesn't really ring true when there is always such a high turnover of players. Leaving the door open for players to come back certainly doesn't work either. It just gives them the comfort of a safety net to come back and every player that has come back has done so a worse player than the one that left. 

44 minutes ago, Damien said:

its worrying that young players see the club as merely a stepping stone to a move to the NRL or RU.

I agree, that's the bigger worry here. If a club like Wigan starts to lose it's players in their prime then I think it's concerning for the whole of SL. I don't have any evidence to support this but I can imagine NRL clubs are fully aware that most young talented SL players would jump at the chance to play down under. It's an easy sell, not just for the money (which NRL clubs can easily outmuscle SL on) but the lifestyle too. 

English players going down under to test themselves is nothing new obviously, but it used to be players who'd had many years at the top in England went down there for the last couple of years of their prime - players seem a lot younger in recent years. Like I say, not trying to suggest this is anything to be immediately concerned about, but equally I wouldn't like to look upon SL in say 5 years time as essentially a feeder league to the NRL. 

8 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I agree, that's the bigger worry here. If a club like Wigan starts to lose it's players in their prime then I think it's concerning for the whole of SL.

I actually dont think it is a concern for all of SL though. My point is that in recent years Wigan have actively created this culture through their actions and statements. They are almost encouraging it. 

9 minutes ago, Damien said:

I actually dont think it is a concern for all of SL though. My point is that in recent years Wigan have actively created this culture through their actions and statements. They are almost encouraging it. 

Not sure about that.  IMO they’re taking a pragmatic approach in welcoming players back and why shouldn’t they?  They know the club etc, so settling in isn’t an issue.  

I doubt Wigan are naive in thinking good players, with agents, will not look around.  It’s not so good to lose them, but the club goes on and opportunities arise for others.  Unfortunately most NRL players are out of budget to fill the void.....unless they’re bad lads.

Wigan not owning a ground anymore is a big mistake that means financially they are in a bad place to hold onto stars or buy them in much. 

Hopefully this changes as Wigan are the most famous RL club in arguably the world and they deserve better. 

I think Sutton could become quite successful in the NRL. He might not have become a top name over here just yet but that's partly because he's still young for a prop, despite having played quite a large number of games, and because the way Shaun Wane has our props play doesn't exactly help them to become stars. Their workload is less than all other clubs and his instructions are to go to ground quickly and find their front ready for a quick play the ball. Gaining more ground through powerful leg drive or pulling off barnstorming individual runs are frowned upon because it's seen as slowing down the tempo. In that respect, I don't think Sutton suits Wane's style of play, and it seems to hold him back a little. He's a good ball player though and has started to show that a bit more this season. Playing in the NRL should hopefully see him used differently and more effectively.

It's frustrating that Wigan have lost another talented young player, but to be honest we've done well to keep Sutton for as long as we have. He's been wanted by the NRL for years. I think the first interest came when he was about 18 and has been strong ever since. They really rate him. I definitely think he's underrated over here.

Archived